Prepper Challenges (Prepper Levels) - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepper Challenges (Prepper Levels)

This is a discussion on Prepper Challenges (Prepper Levels) within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier I'm with shoots on this. First each skill is important. Beyond food, water, shelter, everything is additional extra skills that make ...

Poll: Would you be interested in Prepper/Survival Challenges

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Prepper Challenges (Prepper Levels)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    I'm with shoots on this. First each skill is important. Beyond food, water, shelter, everything is additional extra skills that make life easier.

As for "don't I have a lighter" what about windy conditions? Unless your lighter is a torch, in which case you need a whole lot of spare butane, having a technique you can use in high winds is a major plus. It might suck, and it might take longer, but it's still warmth.
    Maybe this is a bit presumptuous, but isn't the most favorable environment, when someone does BO, a wooded area? If so, in conditions with high winds, starting a fire wouldn't be the smartest idea.
    Memories of Santa Ana winds and fires, jumping across highways, burning everything, on the path to nowhere, play in my mind. *cough* The smoke was unbearable.
    tinkerhell likes this.

Hidden Content + Hidden Content = :couple_inlove:

Quote Originally Posted by shoot2live View Post
    Maybe this is a bit presumptuous, but isn't the most favorable environment, when someone does BO, a wooded area? If so, in conditions with high winds, starting a fire wouldn't be the smartest idea.
    Memories of Santa Ana winds and fires, jumping across highways, burning everything, on the path to nowhere, play in my mind. *cough* The smoke was unbearable.
    that same mentality hits home to me too. The fountain fire in the 90s and recently another big blaze treatend my family home. But winds don't have to be high enough to spread Forrest fires to be high enough to blow out a lighter. I also experience this daily, as I use a lighter to smoke half a pack a day. When it's windy, you have to get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    that same mentality hits home to me too. The fountain fire in the 90s and recently another big blaze treatend my family home. But winds don't have to be high enough to spread Forrest fires to be high enough to blow out a lighter. I also experience this daily, as I use a lighter to smoke half a pack a day. When it's windy, you have to get creative.
    Here's an idea (I'm probably wrong though), find a big rock the wind is blowing over, get in your tent, pull out your multifunctional blanket, and wrap yourself up.

Practicality doesn't always have to be creative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Prepper Challenges (Prepper Levels)-img_20150210_134105.jpg
    While the cat's away, the mouse did play.

After watching Jak's caveman skills spark a few flames, my inner cavewoman's curiosity needed to play with fire, too. Variations and methods bounced around, which Jak explained their flaws, but I enjoy hands-on learning. If you tell me I can't use ice to start a fire, I'll try every possible way to start a fire with ice until I prove you're right or wrong.
    Alone in our cave, burning with curiosity, I let my determination flare and set out to ignite my own fire, without striking any matches.
    Using some woodchips, a cotton ball, our butt box, a knife and a magnesium firestarter, I quickly realized faster strikes,against the rod, with the knife, created more sparks with less force. The cotton ball, smelling like roasted marshmallows, didn't have enough magnesium to stay lit.
    After a few more misfires, I added a toilet paper roll. The same results left me smoldering, but my determination burned wild.
    Then, my caveman came home and saved the day. He grabbed duck tape and scraped a larger amount of magnesium on it, then placed it on top of the tp and cotton ball. While teaching him my striking improvements, sparks flew. Cavewoman make fire...oooohhh, aaahh.
    Last edited by shoot2live; 02-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

To each man his own.

Each man to prepaire as he sees necessary
    Each man to decide if it is necessary.
    Each man to prosper or suffer from his own preparedness or lack of.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    Would members of this forum be interested in doing prepper challenges?

Meaning, certain tasks to get to certain levels. Mainly no or extremely little money involved.

For example there are a lot of people saying.... "I plan on....". This will let you sign up or track your level as well as providing a help/support group from others on here.

Example Challenge #1:

Obtain HAM radio technician level #1 within 3 months:

This would be challenge #1 and people would virtually sign up and start with the studying or obtaining the license. At the end of 3 months we can post who made it through.

Cost involved would be $15.00 for exam fee... plus travel to the testing site.

Example Challenge #2:

Photocopy of important papers to be placed on a secure "Thumb Drive" and placed in a EMP container within 1 month.

Cost involved would be $10.00 for a good thumb drive.

Example Challenge #3

Build a fire without matches, preferably a bow/string style within 1 month.

Cost involved: Free

Note: You don't have to sign up for each challenge. Just finding out if anyone is interested? For example I would be signing up for the first challenge because I'm already a ham operator, but as the challenges go on, that level can go up to a different level.
    No thanks. My prepping skills only extend to shooting bad guys and trying to help propagate the species after WW III. I think we can all pitch in to do our part. I have already eat up all the beanie weenies and spam in the prepper cave. Yall drive me crazy sometimes.
    Slippy and tinkerhell like this.

I know what you mean bigwheel.
    bigwheel likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shoot2live View Post
    You make a good point that knowing your BO location and it's inherent hazards is a good thing.

Jmo, not all wooded areas are vulnerable to a campfire, but if I took that belief into your woods, I would find myself in trouble.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links