Earthquake in Maine tonight - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Earthquake in Maine tonight

This is a discussion on Earthquake in Maine tonight within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Felt it in NH!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Earthquake in Maine tonight

Felt it in NH!!
    preppermama likes this.

Yeah, I can take blizzards, hurricanes, floods, etc. But the earth shaking below me is just eerie. I could never live in California. LOL.

Surprisingly my pugs thought nothing of it. There aren't many things that interrupt their life of pampered leisure. ;p Except for dinner, that is.
    Denton likes this.

I was in Oakland for the 89 quake. I have read a great deal on quakes sense then. The type of land you are on changes the way a quake acts and how it affects buildings and land. A 4.5 on rock based earth vs a 4.5 on coastal earth creates a very different response in structures. Read up and know where you live in relation to the type of quakes you may get.
    preppermama likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I think someone made a good point in here about having an event like an earthquake in a region where earthquakes never happen. People just aren't prepared to deal with the aftermath and local architecture was probably not designed to necessarily withstand that type of event either. It can make a smaller event seem worse because people weren't prepared to deal with it.

It's kind of like when they get a random blizzard down south and the media shows all these videos of people struggling to function and drive in that weather. Something like that is thestatus quo up here in the northeast. We have the equipment and skills to deal with it. But people down south are overwhelmed. They dont have a lot of winter clothing, winter driving experience, etc.

The Good Cop

Glad you're OK, preppermamma.
    What part of Maine are you in? The map I saw showed the epicenter somewhere near Sanford.
    Even though I grew up in Florida and have lived here most of my 64 years, the blood in my viens is 100% Maine. My ancestors hail from York County going back to before the Revolution. My parents were born in North Berwick.
    Denton and preppermama like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    What part of Maine are you in? The map I saw showed the epicenter somewhere near Sanford.
    Even though I grew up in Florida and have lived here most of my 64 years, the blood in my viens is 100% Maine. My ancestors hail from York County going back to before the Revolution. My parents were born in North Berwick.
    Wow! You are an original member! Awesome!
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    My father's family has been in Maine since way back when it was part of Massachusetts. I did genealogy years ago and traced my lineage back to the original boats that hit the shores here My great grandmother was an Edgecomb, one of Maine's original families. That line ties into English royalty. Not that that is something to brag about. They're a bunch of in-breds, literally. LOL.

I live in Mid-Maine now, but I grew up in York Country, specifically Hollis Center. Actually my dad still lives there. He lives about 10 minutes from Lake Arrowhead where the quake originated from.
    Denton and rice paddy daddy like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Wow! You are an original member! Awesome!
    My several-times-great grandfather was a foot soldier in the Continental Army, fought for our freedom from the King.
    I did belong, at one time, to the Sons of the American Revolution. But at dues of $80 a year I let it lapse.
    Denton likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links