Eye Care Options
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Eye Care Options

This is a discussion on Eye Care Options within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; So today my best friend had her eye injured by just a minor scratch to the right corner of her eye..probably from itching it or ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By OctopusPrime
  • 2 Post By TG
  • 6 Post By Spice
  • 1 Post By Slippy
  • 3 Post By RNprepper
  • 1 Post By OctopusPrime
  • 2 Post By TG
  • 1 Post By lytefall

Thread: Eye Care Options

Eye Care Options

So today my best friend had her eye injured by just a minor scratch to the right corner of her eye..probably from itching it or whatever. I realize I only have eye drops to relieve redness from allergy..so feeling ashamed and wanting to help her I go to the pharmacy to buy some eye soothing flusher and eye lubricant. Now I have every over the counter option to help an injured eyeball, however I still run into the problem of whenever these products expire what can I use to help eyes...Eyes as we all know are very sensitive..so my question to you all is...What natural products besides water can you put in your eyes without going blind and actually helping something such as a minor scratch ect?
    Denton likes this.

TG

Your own tears, force yourself to cry
    OctopusPrime and Denton like this.

0.9 g sodium chloride/100 ml water (isotonic saline, 0.9%) is what I'd use. It can also be canned so it's sterile. (I have canned water when I had a bit of space in the canner, just to have sterile water with which to flush wounds). Regular drinkable water is ok too; tap water is what is in eye wash stations.
    Slippy, Denton, Auntie and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    0.9 g sodium chloride/100 ml water (isotonic saline, 0.9%) is what I'd use. It can also be canned so it's sterile. (I have canned water when I had a bit of space in the canner, just to have sterile water with which to flush wounds). Regular drinkable water is ok too; tap water is what is in eye wash stations.
    Excellent idea Spice. We will can some sterile water the next time we can. Thanks!
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest as well. I have bottles of normal saline, as well as sterile flushes, but in a pinch, could just boil water and add salt to make a weak saline solution. Prevention is worth everything when it comes to eyes. One of the biggest hazards for 9/11 survivors was all the airborne debri that got in the eyes and airways. Any kind of explosion would do the same. Every BOB, Get home bag, and EDC bag should have protection for both eyes and airway.
    survival, Denton and Auntie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Your own tears, force yourself to cry
    So romantic haha
    Denton likes this.

TG

lol I always assume that the question is more related to SHTF situation and clean sources of water are not available. I had a thin scratch on the white of my eye (very corner) and we had nothing on hand, forcing tears helped a lot.
    Denton and tinkerhell like this.

Eye Care Options

I carry normal saline for flushing, visine, natural tears (otc product) and PM tears (a nighttime long lasting gel). I also have tetracaine, which is a anasthetic eye drop. Completely numbs the eye for 10-15 min allowing temporary vision during a painful injury which could give you time to escape a dangerous situation if need be.

I have had 3 major eye injuries and it is definitely the last thing I would want to have in an emergency/evac/bug out situation.
    tinkerhell likes this.

I used to joke about Norm Abrams always touting eye protection in his woodworking shop. Now I live by it. Cut wood for years without any protection except regular glasses, got lucky. Now I use Wiley X when riding or when any chance of something flying into the eye. I'm no help with shtf remedies.

Sponsored Links