Pre-made BOB's - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Pre-made BOB's

This is a discussion on Pre-made BOB's within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Sasquatch If you get caught driving you wives car at least you'll be safe. And look FABULOUS in her skirt and pumps! ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pre-made BOB's

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    If you get caught driving you wives car at least you'll be safe. And look FABULOUS in her skirt and pumps!
    Actually, my wife and daughters are all about the same size, so they could get by with each other's stuff. I'm the only one who is SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    I hope some don't get confused between a vehicle get home bag (GHB) & a BOB.
    I am using the same bag for both purposes. I realize some may want different contents, but this has been one way to control the cost for me and I want pretty much the same stuff either way. YMMV
    Last edited by Diver; 12-21-2014 at 04:31 AM.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Hope I can disagree with you Driver. GHB I want as light as possible & keep moving to make it home. With that being said, stuff like fishing gear & snare wire or snares are of little concern.

That is circumstantial Hawk. Some people work far from home. Food acquisition gear can be lightweight and compact. Plus you could run into an issues that delays your get home journey past the amount of food you estimated you would need to get home. Sure you can live without food for awhile but you might as well up your odds of survival by having some speedhooks or a yo-yo you can set out while you rest. 10 feet of wire doesn't weigh much to make a squirrel pole or a snare. Every one has their own opinions. Mine is to get home as fast as possible but I have some contingency items in case I can't get home within a few days. My pack is about 25 pounds without water. My wife's is a lot less since she works less than a couple hours walk from home. So she really doesn't even need one. All vehicles are setup as well with supplies to live a few days nomad style.

As for the op I strongly recommend building your own bob or ghb. As others have said, you will know your pack that way and can tailor it to your area and season. And steer clear of cheap multitools!

ETA: make sure you have the knowledge and skill to use anything in your pack. And practice!
    Last edited by Arklatex; 12-21-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added to post

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hope I can disagree with you Driver. GHB I want as light as possible & keep moving to make it home. With that being said, stuff like fishing gear & snare wire or snares are of little concern.
    Of course you can disagree. As an older guy with a family of wife and daughters, nobody in our family is going to be hauling a lot of weight. I also expect that the most likely scenario away from home is a blizzard. The bags give us the opportunity to wait out the weather rather than abandoning the vehicle in a storm. End result, hiking is a thing to avoid for us. You may have very different circumstances.

I would never recommend such. To start with, everyone has different skill levels. Another thing is you don't know the quality of what is in the ready made kits.
    Yep, make my own. I know the quality and quantity.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Ugh.... way too much over thinking on this topic, once more I'll draw from my military experience. In basic training you are issued a pack and in that pack is the same sort of low end crap that people are warning you about with a basic pre-made BoB. Now here is the catch you have no clue its crap because it’s so new and “wonderful” (sarcasm). So you struggle through the road marches and the movement drills and slowly learn what you really need out in the field. What is useful and what just sits in the bottom of your pack. A perfect example is hydration, I can't stand pulling my pack off and on just to get to my water... I have other buddies who rather "take a break" and use the excuse "I'm getting a drink" no one way is better but it gives you an idea of just how custom someones approach is. Therefore at the top of my list "place for hydration".

Now let’s fast forward a couple months, you have two or three packs all sorted out for mission training and a massive deployment kit. Or in my case you have a core pack that I could add or take away from, when I was a Combat Engineer, (before I made the jump to the Navy). I did everything from drive to breach. Over time I found I really like a pack that opens wide so I can get to all my gear. Lots of webbing so I can add as I want to the pack.

The point I’m making here is that you should go through some trial and error when putting together a BoB or GHB… the only way to know is to practice the situation that the item is designed for. IE: Go camping, go on a long drive with nothing but your GHB or BoB see if it really works.

IF you can find it in stock I really recommend the Eberlestock G3 Phantom Sniper Pack. Not because of the cool name but because you can “escalate” the pack to fit the requirement.
    It is one of the few bags I know of that you can use with or without the weapons case. I also like the fact that Eberlestock has a hunting selection of camo for their bags so you could suit your choices by your local environment. And if you get stopped or someone sees it ... "oh you are a hunter" not "omg you are a crazy prepper"... lol

There are lots of choices when it comes to bags/packs but there is no harm in starting with a basic bag and a basic check list of items. Just be ready to upgrade and ready to spend more as you discover what you really need to BoB or GHB.

Best of luck...
    TG likes this.
    "It is not a toy, It is not a privilege to be stripped away, It is my Second amendment right."

I'm not always here to make you happy, but if that happens its a win-win.

without me sifting thru the whole thread I'll just toss out an opinion. You are better off starting with a basic list of stuff you need that covers water food shelter gear fire clothing security, research each topic bit by bit and figuring out where you have skill or need to build skill, seeing if you have the item in your house currently and then gather the items. Then buy a bag to carry them in of the correct size. The process brings you mentally in tune with what you have in the bag and how to use it. It is not just about having the stuff on hand, but the knowledge of how to use it that is important. For a person that was an urban dweller their whole life and was asked to build a fire while out in the woods without a lighter or in windy wet conditions? How to rig a tarp for shelter? How to purify water? Lets flip it around the other way to a rural dweller dumped into a big city? How to get to safety, find a water source, shelter, defense, escape a dangerous location. You need to be very familiar with the contents and primary and secondary uses.
    TG likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links