Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Pets?

4K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  david1990 
#1 ·
I have two indoor cats and have always wondered when things go bad and I need to leave what should I do with them? When I mean leave I mean as in I may not be back for months, years, maybe ever. I thought the best thing would be to set them free and hope their animal instincts take over and they can survive.

#2 ·
If I had cats that's what I would do. Turn them loose. The dogs have to eat too.

By the way, you are my 1000th post!! You don't win anything, but I should.
Hear that Admin?? I should get a prize!!
(Not a subscription to Cats-R-Us either) :101:

#3 ·
We have four furry kids and have prepared for them as best as we can. We have supplies stored for them here and at our secondary location. They are indoor cats as well, so the goal is to keep them with us as long as it is feasible, sharing our food with them if need be. If things go on for long enough, we'll see if they're as good at hunting as they think they are. :)

#4 ·
Cats have a job . Rodent control and they do a fine job of it. The Dog, keeps the Cats on their toes and does guard duty. The Bird and fish back up cat food.

#24 ·
I so wanted to make a joke on eating *****, er cats

Reactions: Slippy
#12 ·
I have multiple rescued rottweilers. They are my 24 hour warning system. I've a really old girl that meds are keeping her having a good quality of life. Meds run out & would have to do the humane thing for her.

The dogs get quality kibble of which I have about 200lbs stashed away. But that is only half their diet. So easily keep two months of food for them. Also keep atleast two months worth of flea & tick control as well as ivomec for heartworm prevention.

#13 ·
If you can't take your pets with you, the best thing to do is to put them down. It is incredibly cruel to just turn them lose to fend for themselves after generations of being bred to depend on man. They also would turn feral and cause a lot of problems for other people they run into.

By the way, did you know that cats, skinned, cut up and packaged, look just like rabbit? :icon_surprised:

#20 ·
I couldn't agree more. If you aren't responsible enough to take care of animals that depend on you, then don't get them. Also every Winter our cats bring mice to us. I have never found any droppings or damage from rodents on any of our food packages. They pull their weight and do what I want them to do in addition to giving us countless hours of comfort and entertainment. Also, it is possible to have both cats and dogs. It's easier if you have the cats when the dog is a puppy.

Growing up out in the country, every farm that I know of had both cats and dogs, and a majority of them had both indoor and outdoor cats. There was a reason for that.

#18 ·
Now I am just plain sad, I miss my dog. He was like my youngest kid, he was very protective of our daughter. They kind of grew up together, he would have died for her. He was a 152 pounds of lean, mean, fightin' Rott.lol Someone poisoned him, I never found out who and I'm glad cause someone would been hurt bad. One day my daughter was small and the Jehovah's witness came in our yard, he got between them and her and showed them all his teeth. I can't have another right now, and not sure I would cause he was part of the family. I would have never left him behind.

#19 ·
Ok this is probably not a popular view on this but here goes. I have a lot of animals both pets and livestock and love them all. If I had to leave I would take as many with me as it is possible to do so. If I could not take them I think the more responsible thing to do would be to euthanize them, not set them out to fend for themselves. you are talking about domestic animals with no clue how to care for themselves. Also imagine if everyone did this. domestic animals far exceed the number of people so you will be sending billions of animals out there to now take care of themselves. this is only going to turn out bad. they would not be able to find enough food and those dogs you have set free will be the first to decide us humans that gave us the easy meals before, look like an easy meal when their is no kibble in the bowl. Dogs will form packs similar to wolves and come after what they know to be an easy meal.
Besides that with all of these animals running loose I would think they could also spread disease faster also. cats eat rats cats bite, scratch and then you are infected too.

#25 ·
A 22 rimfire. If you do not want to waste the ammo blunt force to the back of the head. Ferrell cats kill substantial wild life that person's in the area may depend on. Turning this animals out is irresponsible. And you are taking your lack of responsible management and creating a burden on others. Cloaked under the guise of being humane. Think post Katrina. Many people took the same stance and turned their animals out. The suffering was well documented. The damage to the local animals was well documented.

#26 ·
I've read of packs of once-domesticated dogs in Detroit, that are now feral. And not afraid of humans. The humane society there had caught 35 packs of feral dogs - not individual dogs, but Packs of dogs in one month. One month. That was in the beginning of Detroits drain circling. Jus think of the number of dangerous, hungry dogs that would/will be out there when SHTF. If you can't take the cats, put 'em down. But make the effort to take them. Just think of the comfort they will bring, when there isn't much comfort out there. Plus, they can catch mice in your eventual BOL. All of my animals are coming with me. 2 horses, 2 dogs. I'm prepping for them, too. They will work along side of me.

On the flip side, when SHTF I'll take down and cook any feral animals I see. Dogs, cats, bunnies; collar or no. I'm still top of the food chain, for now.

#30 ·
All ours are family. We bug out together and it's theme park for them.
They get daily diet for pox & rad, but animals drinking water with algae in it get some protection from both. People use algae for both.
Dogs eat basically 1/3meat, 1/3 veg & 1/3 grain, cats need some minerals in tiny amts but you can look it up.
We are ok deep wilderness too, which helps but going to try being easier than that and just lay low year 1

#31 ·
I realize some people view their pets as kids and this post may come across as insensitive for which I apologize. I have always viewed pets as more of a hinderance if the need ever arose to bug out. They are more mouths to feed, can be unpredictable, throw OPSEC into upheaval, and on and on. I have a no pet rule in my house and thats how I think i'll keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.