Yearly traditions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Yearly traditions

This is a discussion on Yearly traditions within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I thought it would be interesting to find out about other peoples yearly traditions. Tomorrow is my 2nd favorite day of the year. Cookie day! ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Yearly traditions

  1. #1
    Retired Moderator


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,060

    Yearly traditions

    I thought it would be interesting to find out about other peoples yearly traditions.

    Tomorrow is my 2nd favorite day of the year. Cookie day! My sister goes and does whatever she wants and the boys and I make enough cookies to feed an Army. Every year we make one favorite for each person and at least two new kinds of cookies. We sample the cookies and sip on hot chocolate, and get way to full! Clean up our mess and have sandwiches and cookies for dinner.

    So what traditions do you have in your family for the Holiday season?
    TG, MrsInor, Slippy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

  2. #2
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fire Land
    Posts
    8,068
    The the Friday after Christmas (this year it will be the Saturday after Christmas due to schedule problems) the whole family gathers at our house for a trip to the range and a good supper at a restaurant after. This is after all of us enjoying Mrs Inor's Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding on Christmas or Christmas Eve.
    Last edited by Inor; 12-15-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Auntie, Slippy, BagLady and 1 others like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

    Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

  3. #3
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,423
    I like to hit the deer stand on Christmas eve for a last hunt of the year. Then it's a big turkey dinner and a good night's sleep.
    Denton, Auntie and Inor like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    3,516
    We gather at my in-laws and do that in-law family thing...
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 12-31-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    Denton, Auntie, BagLady and 1 others like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    240
    The traditions for our family are for the most part gone. When my mamaw was alive we always opened presents Christmas morning and had a great dinner she would fix. Oh how I miss the good ole days.
    Auntie likes this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by sargedog View Post
    The traditions for our family are for the most part gone. When my mamaw was alive we always opened presents Christmas morning and had a great dinner she would fix. Oh how I miss the good ole days.
    Sarge...traditions do not have to start and end with one person...most folks look forward to them...Just as I look forward to causing my inlaws jaw to drop and be flabberghasted at what I did... The act is always different...but the shock is the real tradition.

    Start a new one and embrace it...others will enjoy it....but don't do what I do...unless your inlaws are as scared of you as mine are me.
    sargedog, Auntie and Inor like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    Posts
    672
    My family also has a cookie baking tradition. We ended up with around 8 dozen or so this year. Christmas Eve growing up meant Mom's homemade chicken soup and opening one present. Then Christmas morning was Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, dig through the stockings, and onto the presents. Nowadays it's over to the in-laws on Christmas Eve and my family on Christmas morning. This year Christmas Eve will have to be cut a bit short for me as I'm on duty on my ambulance Christmas Eve. The nice thing is that once the clock hits midnight I start earning holiday pay for working on Christmas.
    Auntie and BagLady like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

  9. #8
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Sarge...traditions do not have to start and end with one person...most folks look forward to them...Just as I look forward to causing my inlaws jaw to drop and be flabberghasted at what I did... The act is always different...but the shock is the real tradition.

    Start a new one and embrace it...others will enjoy it....but don't do what I do...unless your inlaws are as scared of you as mine are me.
    My MIL was pretty scared of me but she has been gone for 3 years now and the only time my wife's family wants anything to do with her is when they need a favor. Looks like it will be just me and Mrs.sargedog this year. She will make a great dinner and I will eat too much.LOL I have thought about helping maybe deliver meals to elderly next year( kind of snuck up on me this year). We will have to get our next tradition started soon.
    Inor likes this.

  10. #9
    Retired Moderator


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,060
    I hope cookie day continues long after I am gone. I like to imagine my nephews married and having cookie day with their children.
    BagLady likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

  11. #10
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by sargedog View Post
    My MIL was pretty scared of me but she has been gone for 3 years now and the only time my wife's family wants anything to do with her is when they need a favor. Looks like it will be just me and Mrs.sargedog this year. She will make a great dinner and I will eat too much.LOL I have thought about helping maybe deliver meals to elderly next year( kind of snuck up on me this year). We will have to get our next tradition started soon.
    Donating time to feed the homeless or some other such giving is a great tradition to start, and a tradition amongst two is a tradition none the less
    Auntie and Inor like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top