"Targeted" Discrimination!!!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on "Targeted" Discrimination!!! within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Although I'm pretty happy with my current job I did just stumble across an opening with another company in town where the starting wage is ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: "Targeted" Discrimination!!!

Although I'm pretty happy with my current job I did just stumble across an opening with another company in town where the starting wage is $1.50 more per hour than I'm currently making. I'm the branch manager so I don't see my wage going up much more that it already is so taking on this new job would give me an instant raise plus the strong possibility of advancement along with greater pay down the road.

Anyway, this company is one of my customers so I know their buyer. I contacted her and inquired about the job. She had me email my resume to her and she said she would put in a good word for me. A link to their website was emailed back to me. It was a link to their job application department. I filled out the application and completed it online.

Immediately after finishing their application process, two more emails were sent to me. One simply offering "congratulations" for completing the application but the second one pissed me off. Here's a portion of the message:

We carefully review every application. We're fortunate to have many excellent individuals apply to each of our positions, and we're sure that you're no exception. While we appreciate every application that comes our way, due to the high volume we receive, we're not able to follow up with everyone individually. If a strong match is found between your qualifications and the needs of the role, a member of the Recruiting Team will contact you.

(Company Name) participates in the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) program which is a federal tax program available to employers for hiring individuals from certain target groups who have consistently faced significant barriers to employment. ADP administers this program on behalf of the Company. To meet the guidelines for this program, we are requesting your assistance in completing the following questionnaire by following the steps listed below. All information you submit will remain confidential to ADP and will not impact the hiring process. (Company Name) is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
    Hmmmm. I wonder what is meant by "certain target groups who have consistently faced significant barriers to employment?" Do you suppose "white males" fall into that category? I rather doubt it! However, I do have one thing going for me. I just turned 60 so that places me in a "minority" group. "Age discrimination" is against the law (last I heard).

Whatever the case may be, the area I live in is 90% white and I am fully qualified for the position they need to have filled. I'll be surprised if I don't land in the top three choices for hire. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

Sounds like a way for the employer to have a portion of employees salaries paid for by the feds for agreeing to hire minorities. Also implies that they are willing to hire less qualified people to save money.

This is nothing new. Been going on for years. When you enter real management you must sell yourself. If you are good at it and have faith in your abilities you do not apply for a job based on hourly wage. But a package that compensates you based on what you can do for them. Also an at will contract that allows either of you to terminate at will . Will out the door compensation. Risky yes but if you are good and put in the effort leads to big rewards.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

First post! I'm mostly on the sigtalk forums but I venture on here from here time to time.

Due to the equal employers act, a employer cannot discriminate based on race/age.... the work credit that you are referring to does NOT apply to both of those areas but instead if an employer hires people with mental disabilities, they get the tax credit in which you are referring to. I've worked for companies that gave people with learning disabilities a job for the sole fact of the tax credit.

Credentials: I work as a staff accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by pluong91 View Post
    First post! I'm mostly on the sigtalk forums but I venture on here from here time to time.

Due to the equal employers act, a employer cannot discriminate based on race/age.... the work credit that you are referring to does NOT apply to both of those areas but instead if an employer hires people with mental disabilities, they get the tax credit in which you are referring to. I've worked for companies that gave people with learning disabilities a job for the sole fact of the tax credit.

Credentials: I work as a staff accountant.
    Good info. Thanks.

Maybe I ought to re-send my resume and add that I'm nuts!
    Slippy, RedLion, Denton and 1 others like this.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    Good info. Thanks.

Maybe I ought to re-send my resume and add that I'm nuts!
    Just tell them you're a member here and they know it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

The Good Cop

Although I'm pretty happy with my current job I did just stumble across an opening with another company in town where the starting wage is $1.50 more per hour than I'm currently making. I'm the branch manager so I don't see my wage going up much more that it already is so taking on this new job would give me an instant raise plus the strong possibility of advancement along with greater pay down the road.

Anyway, this company is one of my customers so I know their buyer. I contacted her and inquired about the job. She had me email my resume to her and she said she would put in a good word for me. A link to their website was emailed back to me. It was a link to their job application department. I filled out the application and completed it online.

Immediately after finishing their application process, two more emails were sent to me. One simply offering "congratulations" for completing the application but the second one pissed me off. Here's a portion of the message:

Hmmmm. I wonder what is meant by "certain target groups who have consistently faced significant barriers to employment?" Do you suppose "white males" fall into that category? I rather doubt it! However, I do have one thing going for me. I just turned 60 so that places me in a "minority" group. "Age discrimination" is against the law (last I heard).

Whatever the case may be, the area I live in is 90% white and I am fully qualified for the position they need to have filled. I'll be surprised if I don't land in the top three choices for hire. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Vietnam veteran is one group.
    My employer got a tax break for hiring me.

This came about because in the 70's and 80's Nam vets were hated, despised, and discriminated against in many areas of society. Congress wrote the original law under the Reagan administration.
    Ronald Reagan was responsible for shaming the American public into facing their treatment of vets.

And no, I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE CULT OF VICTIMIZATION.
    (Did you hear me, I WAS YELLING)
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

During my Senior year in college, before many of you youngsters were born, I actively pursued and interviewed for my first "Career Job" and worked for that employer for nearly 20 years.

Since that time I never had to "Look" for a job, the next few jobs came to me via people that I knew in the industry. I did some consulting and had to actively pursue "gigs" but that was different than looking for a job...........UNTIL a couple of years ago;

...So I decided to branch out and shop my skills to other industries. I targeted my applications to mid level sales positions and was turned down for every one. OVERQUALIFIED was the jist of the letters and while they didn't say that, most of the interviewers were astounded that I was even applying for the positions. Being a white male with executive experience as well as multiple levels of sales and sales management experience put me squarely in an over-qualified category.

So, I went back to people I knew and immediately got something from a company that I knew very well and I fit need they were looking for.

But I assure you, discrimination runs deep against white males, it just isn't talked about.

The Good Cop

The job I retired from, I worked there 17 years. I mamaged a warehouse, and was in charge of hiring and firing.
    When it came to hiring, I didn't care what color, age, male or female. I did notice how the prospect dressed to come in and apply. Shirt and tie not neccessary, warehouse attire was. Shorts and flip flops did not make it to an interview.

However, there was one class of applicant whose paperwork went straight into the trash can. Before they even cleared the parking lot.
    We had a section for them to list military service, if any, and type of discharge. ANY ONE that had a Dishonorable Discharge would never be hired by me.

Even convicted felons would at least be given a look. But dishonorables? Oh, hell no!!
    Denton, inceptor and Michael_Js like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

...........Whatever the case may be, the area I live in is 90% white and I am fully qualified for the position they need to have filled. I'll be surprised if I don't land in the top three choices for hire. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    I'd almost be willing to bet that if you are "the" white male in the group . . . and are over 60 . . . you will probably get a gift certificate to Bob Evans for being a top contender . . . a hand shake and that is all.

I really hope you do get it . . . but you face some tough odds . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links