OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Last year as #3 was finishing up his high school, he decided he was going to join the Army. OK if that's what he wants ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me

Last year as #3 was finishing up his high school, he decided he was going to join the Army. OK if that's what he wants to do, I'll support him and I think it would be good for him and his future, since he has no clue what he really wants to do. It would give him the confidence, training and direction he needs because he's more of a dreamer than a doer. Great......until he said he was going to be a Combat Engineer, so he 'could blow sh*t up'. I tried to be supportive of his choice, but damn....the Mom side won and I panicked. That's my baby getting shot at and/or blown up and I wasn't fine with it after all. Didn't help this was only a few months after losing hubs and the prospect of losing him too (either literally or figuratively) was more than I was ready to handle. He said he had second thoughts & didn't go.

Fast forward to now and the subject has come up again. I'm sure he'd have to start all over from scratch and reapply, retake the tests which may provide more options of his interests, etc. As of now, he's talking Military Police, though he hasn't reapplied yet to know if he'd qualify.

I guess I'm asking if this is such a good choice to go into the military as it 'seems' to be. Whether it's for 3 years or a career. Sounds like a good idea in many ways, but there's always those that come away either disillusioned or angry for being 'used' by the government.

What has your own experience been and how do you feel about it? I'm not talking about having been in active war and the autrocities either you've been ordered to do, or have seen done or was done to you.......but did you learn valuable skills for working or living as a civilian? Is there anything that you wish you would have known before going in??? Did you enlist or were you drafted?

*sigh*....I apologize if these are 'stupid, idealistic' questions that have nothing to do with the real world of military life, but I'll never know unless I ask....and I'm not even sure I know the right questions to ask. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Michael_Js and bigwheel like this.

Super Moderator

I was an MP. I’d suggest against it.

I’d suggest an MOS that will translate into a good civilian job such as aircraft mechanic.

Make sure he enrolls in the college benefit thing and take all the classes he can while serving.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

As far as being used by the government, that’s gonna happen. As long as he knows that when he joins, he won’t be disillusioned.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A combat engineer is one of the most dangerous jobs worse than a rifleman.

As @Denton said, train in a civilian related job such as an aircraft mechanic, tell him to get into a position for an A&E or A&P.

I had an A&P a long time ago, but not from the military.

When I was in all I did was learn to kill with many different weapons, and how to survive.

1st question to ask... what MOS'S GET PROMOTED THE BEST
    2nd what MOS's offer the best translation to a GOOD paying civilian job
    Denton and JustAnotherNut like this.
    Be a Berean

I was a helicopter mechanic for 20 years. I loved the first 16 years and parts of the next 4. Military intel analyst are where the money is at now. He can do 6 years and get out making 6 figures with any intel agency or contractor.
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    I was a helicopter mechanic for 20 years. I loved the first 16 years and parts of the next 4. Military intel analyst are where the money is at now. He can do 6 years and get out making 6 figures with any intel agency or contractor.
    This or counter intelligence in Marines. Get to play 007 all day. Combat engineer in the Army spends 90% of their time in the motor pool getting greasy and 10% time in the field getting hot, sweaty and dirty. The Recruitment Brochure is BS.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Denton and Michael_Js like this.

From the civilian side, as a college educator and academic advisor, look at what will translate to college credits. The recruiter and colleges have books that spell out what MOs translates into how many credits.
    Example: 18D - Special Forces Medic
    As long as they have National Registry Basic, some of that training transfers. It has to be current upon admission, but it counts toward a degree in Paramedic.
    There are others, such as MP, that count towards a degree as well.
    Look also at return on investment. He will be investing in his life, what will give him an edge over the next person if he gets RIF’d. I have a buddy that was a tanker, he got RIF’d and went through hell finding a job. “Blowing stuff up only translates to a small percentage of civilian jobs,” was what they told him when he applied for jobs. Even as a “civilian employee” it was hard to get a job. It took over a year to find work, his family lived off of one income for over a year, stress that as he looks!
    There are great jobs out there, military service helps when it’s on a resumé.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post

I guess I'm asking if this is such a good choice to go into the military as it 'seems' to be. Whether it's for 3 years or a career. Sounds like a good idea in many ways, but there's always those that come away either disillusioned or angry for being 'used' by the government.

What has your own experience been and how do you feel about it? I'm not talking about having been in active war and the autrocities either you've been ordered to do, or have seen done or was done to you.......but did you learn valuable skills for working or living as a civilian? Is there anything that you wish you would have known before going in??? Did you enlist or were you drafted?
    I think going into the military is a great choice. No other job gives someone so young so much responsibility. It makes you grow up as you just can't get mad & quit like in a normal job. You have to get tough... especially mentally.

I volunteered after the draft was cancelled. I had been thru 2 years of college & was disillusioned & didn't know what to do. I had been in the School of Wildlife Management at Mississippi State & was doing great. They offered me a scholarship to stay but I turned it down. So I transferred to Univ. of Memphis, because it was close to home & had an Air Force ROTC detachment. So my 3rd year of college was just taking more science & getting involved with the folks in ROTC. Met some great people & signed up for the professional part, where you commit to joining the Air Force as an enlistee if you don't graduate & get commissioned an officer. They also offered me a scholarship for my last 2 years, if I would become a Minuteman Missile Combat Crewmember. I volunteered to be stationed in Minot, ND.

Obviously. the skills I learned in the Air Force didn't translate well to civilian life. I did get to launch one of our missiles from the California test site, out into the Pacific. Two years later, as a 1st Lt. I was a commander responsible for 10 nuclear armed missiles in my flight. Those skills were of little use to me as a civilian however what did translate was confidence in myself. As a young 2nd Lt. I was given immense responsibility & the training I went thru was as tough or tougher than anything I experienced in college. Long story short, the Air Force made me a man. I never felt like the government "used" me. They paid my way thru 2 years of college & paid me well enough while I served. I got something from them... they got something from me.
    Last edited by Redneck; 09-08-2020 at 08:42 PM.

I never served but my Ol' Dad did post WW2 and he didn't have to tell me, I saw it.

He stood a little taller, straighter and with more confidence because of his time in the Army. And he was a big man anyway.

He had good life stories that he would subtly tell; life lessons that he learned in the military. And this Man, a product of Blue Collar Steel Mill US Army Stock put the US Flag on his suit lapel (late in his career) and made damn sure he attended his grandson's Veterans Day festivities and local parades. He wasn't a wealthy man, but he provided for us and worked hard to give himself a helluva good life until his death. He made me proud and I figured out his US Army service was a big part of it.

That's all I know and wanted to share.
    Last edited by Slippy; 09-08-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links