OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me

This is a discussion on OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm and ex Infantryman, Ranger, and a Green Beret (and no, by god, a Ranger ain't a Green Beret!!!!).... I wouldn't change anything about what ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me

I'm and ex Infantryman, Ranger, and a Green Beret (and no, by god, a Ranger ain't a Green Beret!!!!).... I wouldn't change anything about what I have done, but I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Its like the old prisoners who are institutionalized... prison has good memories, cause thats all they remember.

I have two sons that went into IT in the navy. They did 4 years and both have 85K a year jobs in the civilian world. My 3rd is an Airforce Cyber technician. My fourth is in College to be an egineer. He'll make less than the other 3 for many many years I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    As @Smitty901 said you never know what will happen after taking the oath.

Myself, I went RA to get into the radio repair school, caught pneumonia in basic, was recycled and ended up in the infantry.

Got out after the Cuban missile crisis extension ended.

About ten years later joined the guard under the try one program and stayed for 20 years.

They pestered my ass to go to rotocraft school, seeing I was a pilot with ratings, wanted no part of that.

Would have been a transition program.
    Once in a lot depends on you. Doors open if you are ready or crazy enough to step up. I hear so many times "all I did in the Army was stand around in a line". Well they were not in the Army I was. Every time I turned around I was off to another school and new adventure. There were time while finishing one course ,received orders to report to another one.
    A young man enters the Army and starts out in one MOS. Needs of the Army, lack of slots for advancement ect that soldier ends up in another MOS and many more doors open. The higher up you go the more they want to see experience that covers a wide path.
    Infantry today is not just a soldier with boots, ruck and a rifle. By the time you make E5 you better bring more to the table. The Army of today is not known for spending time on those that have no motivation to move up and expand their value.
    full list of MOS. And with in them is more to the story.

https://www.operationmilitarykids.org/army-mos-list/
    Last edited by Smitty901; 09-09-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The MOS numbers have all changed, but tracked vehicle mechanic or wheeled vehicle mechanic would translate into a high paying civilian job.
    This kid isn't 'mechanic' material, as he doesn't like to get dirty and kind of a germaphobe. Mechanics is #2's field of expertise as that's what he's doing now for a national trucking company and loves it. Also can tear apart a car or truck and put it back together in a couple days, less if he's short on time and has to rush. About 5 or 6 years ago, when he was having alot of trouble in school I had mentioned it would be nice to have a mechanic in the family and he took to it like a duck to water. Transferred to a tech college to get his HS diploma while taking mechanics for college credits, but he got frustrated because the school kept jacking him around about getting the diploma (which he never did get) and after the first couple of semesters he wasn't learning anything. I tried to keep him in, to get whatever certs he needed for the future, but after hubs passed away and there was no way we could afford to live here on only my income, he quit the school and went to work. He had already proved to me he he had learned more from watching YouTube than the school had ever taught him, when he had taken apart an engine, fixed what was wrong and put it back in a weekend when the school was still teaching oil changes & checking tire pressure after 2 years in the program. Now, finally he's trying to get his GED for his job, so he can move into the shop and actually start working on the engines and includes a huge raise. Right now he's more of a 'lot attendant' that cleans up incoming trucks, fuels them up, maybe some tinkering under the hood, but not full fledged 'mechanic' yet. But he's happy to get to drive them around the yard and is sometimes sent out to pick up trucks at other locations to bring them in.

#3 just hasn't found his 'niche' yet and military may help him to do that. He's always lived under #2's shadow and hanging back. Then in his most important teen years, life in general just kept going sideways. First I had cancer, then 2 years later hubs was diagnosed & told he only had 2 months to live from a radiologist that should have kept his mouth shut and later was told just that. Hubs actually lived 3 years before passing just a few months before #3 graduated high school and turned 18. Hubs wasn't really 'available' to have some of those father/son moments or talks about life, work & whatever in the years #3 needed them most. He's now 19 and still flopping around like a fish out of water. I've tried to fill in where hubs wasn't able too, but gee, I'm Mom and what do I know about stuff like that. That's why I do think the military may be the best substitute in that regard, to help him 'man up' and build that confidence and identity

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I had a 1stSgt one time who was a EOD guy (Explosive Ordinance Disposal)

He said there was a very wonderful calculator for determining the amount of an explosion to bring down a tree or take down a bridge support.

once you put all the factors in and came up with the amount of explosives needed.. you then did the final step of the calculation - you multiplied the amount by 2.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I had a 1stSgt one time who was a EOD guy (Explosive Ordinance Disposal)

He said there was a very wonderful calculator for determining the amount of an explosion to bring down a tree or take down a bridge support.

once you put all the factors in and came up with the amount of explosives needed.. you then did the final step of the calculation - you multiplied the amount by 2.
    Plenty is enough, more is better we use to say.

The Good Cop

In 1969, what ever our Brigade needed that day is what you became.
    The guy who would become my best friend had just completed 26 weeks of radio repair school.
    His job became being the guy who kept the big diesel generator running for the Tactical Operations Center bunker. He never touched a radio.
    Denton likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    In 1969, what ever our Brigade needed that day is what you became.
    The guy who would become my best friend had just completed 26 weeks of radio repair school.
    His job became being the guy who kept the big diesel generator running for the Tactical Operations Center bunker. He never touched a radio.
    Mission dictates roles. When Convoys were short on security. Soldiers from headquarters were tapped to fill roles as drivers and security if they were deemed up to it. If they were not ready they got some training quick.
    SOCOM42 and rice paddy daddy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Super Moderator

Speaking of which, unless he is certain he is going to love his MOS, he needs to find out if it is a critical/shortage MOS.
    When I was in, military police was critical/shortage. I was stuck. My drinking buddies at Sierra Army Depot were EOD. With the olympics coming to L.A., they were in need of more. Their commander took a liking to me and did all he could to get me into EOD. It didn’t happen.

There are many little but important things someone looking to join the army needs to know.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Medic/Corpsman. But really, go Navy. Best training ever... Of course I am partial.
    Many of my friends that went medical got out, and went down the path of PAs, LPNs etc.
    First thing, make sure he is qualified to join first. Go to MEPPS, get physical, take ASVAB. ASVAB has many tests within it. They tell you , what you may be best able to do. This test is an awesome standardized test.. It has many many decades of data to show who will do well based off of Combined scores within ASVAB.
    In the Navy, as well as others, their is another test. If he has a real good understanding of the English language, ask to take the DLAB test. Then, if you pass, you will be given the opportunity to become a linguist... Great career path...
    But again, get qualified to join first. Otherwise, dont sell or buy a job.
    Denton and JustAnotherNut like this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

The biggest mistake I ever made in my life was not going into the service and spending 20+ years.

I graduated high school in 1973 and the war was ending. My Dad had gone to Nam twice...spent 32 years in the service. He never tried to steer me in that direction.

I had poon and other things on my mind at 18.

The young people I have a chance to talk with who are in the service, I try to convince them to stay in. See as much of the world as you can...take advantage of everything the military has to offer. Keep your nose clean and make the most of it.

Young folks have no idea how fast 20 years goes by. When you are 65, it's the blink of an eye.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links