OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me

This is a discussion on OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Denton I imagine he scored high enough for MP. The MP chain of command eat their young for sport. Being an MP ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: OK Military guys & Veterans....talk to me

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I imagine he scored high enough for MP.
    The MP chain of command eat their young for sport.
    Being an MP doesn’t do much toward becoming a civilian cop, either.
    There are much better choices. As a matter of fact, there are better services. The Navy’s nuclear program comes to mind.
    I'm not sure why he chose the Army, or if there was a reason he couldn't join one of the others
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    and what is that??

As you can probably tell, I don't have the first clue when it comes to military ANYTHING.....I just the cheering section
    Certification required to work on aircraft and aircraft engines. It’s an FAA thing and not military but military aviation training makes getting the certs a cinch.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I'm not sure why he chose the Army, or if there was a reason he couldn't join one of the others
    There is nothing that would preclude him from choosing another branch if he can join the Army. It’s simply his preference.
    It’s an honorable choice; I’m just thinking about his future options in the civilian world. Ideals are one thing and the size of paychecks are another.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    There is nothing that would preclude him from choosing another branch if he can join the Army. It’s simply his preference.
    It’s an honorable choice; I’m just thinking about his future options in the civilian world. Ideals are one thing and the size of paychecks are another.
    True enough.......personally I think he'd do better either as a desk jockey of some sort.....or better yet a paramedic. He's already shown himself to be great in emergency situations.

When he was about 5-ish, #2 had gotten stung by a bee and is anaphylactic to honey bees....and while #2 is screaming he was going to die and I'm trying to calm him down, #3 had already gotten the Epi-pen and phone and brought them to me.
    Then just a few years ago when #2 was trying to weld something on the back deck with a torch that had a leak. All I seen was a bright flash of light from another room and #3 had crossed the livingroom & dining room to the deck in about 3 steps to put the fire out because #2 ran into the garage to get away from it.

Yep, life around here can be exciting and it's a wonder I have any hair left
    Denton likes this.

The A&E when I was around aircraft was for airframe and electrical, that was 55 years ago.

I got the hours required for the A&P working at the FBO.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-09-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    JustAnotherNut and Denton like this.

Military is not for everyone. If he does it encourage him to go in with a plan to use ever benefit so in 4 years he walks out ahead of the game. If he decides to stay he is still ahead of the game. Combat engines is a wide field what you end up doing will depend on fate and skills you may adapt to. You have the light side and the heavy different missions. Blowing shit up is a very small part of it.
    Today's Army is not yesterdays . Even in the infantry education is required to move up. MP mos is not the clamor many think it is. But nothing ever really is. Even the medical fields in the Army are not what many remember it to be 91B, 68W all a different game now.
    Some times you just need to sign the paper take the oath and see where you end up. Many of us had a path laid out the day we took the oath , only to see that path altered for many different reasons. Life will often ensure you end up where you were meant to be rather than where you thought you wanted to be. Not one of us end the journey in the direction we had planned.
    Military service has been a big part of this family for a long time. At times it was not easy but in all cases a worth while journey for us all.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

As @Smitty901 said you never know what will happen after taking the oath.

Myself, I went RA to get into the radio repair school, caught pneumonia in basic, was recycled and ended up in the infantry.

Got out after the Cuban missile crisis extension ended.

About ten years later joined the guard under the try one program and stayed for 20 years.

They pestered my ass to go to rotocraft school, seeing I was a pilot with ratings, wanted no part of that.

Would have been a transition program.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-09-2020 at 06:55 AM.

The Good Cop

The MOS numbers have all changed, but tracked vehicle mechanic or wheeled vehicle mechanic would translate into a high paying civilian job.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

A friend of mine's son retired from the AF after 24 years, was stationed at MacDill AFB, Fl.

I don't know what he did there but the new officer in charge of his section was an asshole.

The fun thing was he took the same job back as a civilian out from under the idiots command.

He got 4X the pay in doing so, about a year later they relieved the idiot in charge.

I will have to ask what he does there.
    JustAnotherNut and Michael_Js like this.

My neck was too big for army regs (at least that's what the recruiter told me, it was wrestling season) also told me my ASVAB scores were high enough to do anything I wanted. Lots of my friends and classmates (even ex-girlfriend) joined up to get college paid for (all Army I believe) that was 1998... just in time to get sent to the desert in 2001.. think the ex worked the mail in Iraq and eventually became a lawyer. Had a roommate in Minot ND join the AF and ended up fixing radios (sent from the desert) in shop in AZ. moved to SD then MN, married a stripper and got a job with the railroad after he got out.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links