Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Those of you who pursued a degree in Criminal Justice already know this, most likely. This is what we are missing in so many of ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing

Super Moderator

Those of you who pursued a degree in Criminal Justice already know this, most likely. This is what we are missing in so many of our police departments, including my town's police department.

The link and a recap of Peel's Principles:

How 200-year-old police principles could have helped Ferguson - MarketWatch

Perhaps it’s a return to these nine Peelian Principles. Here is the essence of each:

A civilian police that prevents crime and disorder is much preferable to repression of crime by military force and draconian legal punishment.

A police force’s power to fulfill its functions is dependent on public approval and respect of the police’s existence and actions.

Securing the public’s cooperation with the work of the police force is critical for the police to be effective.

The more help the police can get from the public, the less the threat of physical force is needed to achieve police objectives.

Police must consistently seek public favor by demonstrating even-handed enforcement of the law, and through courtesy, good humor and a willingness to make personal sacrifices in service to the public, regardless of the wealth or social standing of the individuals involved.

Police should use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion and warnings are insufficient to obtain an individual’s co-operation — and then only the absolute minimum degree of physical force needed.

Police should always maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police.

Police officers must refrain from seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary or the state. It’s not the job of the police to judge guilt or punish the guilty.

Police officers must always recognize that the acid test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not high-visibility police actions in dealing with them.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Peel was a wise man and he was right on all counts.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Yup all pretty much lacking from the police around here.
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cdell View Post
    Yup all pretty much lacking from the police around here.
    True. Now, here is a question we might consider; which came first. The chicken, or the egg?

Are we to assume the behavior of "Li'l Mike" was the result of police behavior, or is today's law enforcement's attitude the result of an overall degradation of society?
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Are we to assume the behavior of "Li'l Mike" was the result of police behavior, or is today's law enforcement's attitude the result of an overall degradation of society?
    Yes.

Lil Mikey was a bad seed, no doubt. And he would have gotten himself killed one way or another before his time was due just by his own actions. But the fact that he chose to pick a fight with a cop (and a very good and decent cop by all accounts) does speak volumes about not just what our society has become, but what our law enforcement has become in the eyes of the public.

This is not to be taken as a slam against LEOs, just an observation by a (mostly) law abiding citizen.
    BagLady, Mish, Denton and 1 others like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Pretty much reads like the 10 Commandments to me.
    Just good rules to live by...and eminate.
    Inor, Slippy and Denton like this.
    In Memory of Cpl. Bradley Coy
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Sail on, Hunting Hawk. You were one of a kind.

Thank you for posting this. I've been reading more Ferguson threads than I care to and this brings a bit of balance.

I do not trust cops. I have yet to meet any that have the competence expressed in these rules so they do not have my trust. I also recognize that the typical young black male in an urban area has it much worse than I do.

Assuming Michael Brown was not a total fool, he had probably been in constant conflict with the police in Ferguson from the age of 12, one third of his life. That is likely the backstory on the night he got killed. He may have even been previously hassled by Wilson from the age of 12.

He was a thug by 18 because he was likely tagged with a criminal record from age 12. Brown at 18 is an unsympathetic character, but despite the comments here, did not deserve to die for a box of cigars or for walking in the street. From everything I have seen in the news Ferguson's police department has squandered any trust the community may have had long before Brown was killed. The protests and riots have little to do with Brown and are much more about hatred of the police who are the opposite of the principles expressed above.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

The thing of it is, he didn't die due to robbing a store owner or because he was intentionally and defiantly obstructing traffic by walking down the middle of the street. I also don't think he was thinking about tyranny or heavy-handed oppression when he attacked the officer who was trying to get him out of the street.

Diver, I am distrustful of today's law enforcement, too. That doesn't excuse the behavior of Brown or any other member of society like him. Furthermore, to claim that the Black Man's plight is worse than others is to suggest I was destined for a middle income life due to my color. There are foods I still won't eat, today, because I got enough of them when I was a kid because they were cheap. The difference between me and those who are burning down Furgeson? My parents were strong, Christian leaders who took their responsibilities as parents to heart. My family saw rights and responsibilities as going hand in hand. Life was not viewed as merely a here and now thing, but a gift from God to be used wisely in His honor. The family name was viewed something to protect, because the next generation not only makes its way in the world but also represents those who came before it.

All these things seem to be lost on today's society. Our culture is all about carnal pleasure in the here and now. All the things that made a strong, healthy culture possible is now seen as archaic, unnecessary, and even hindrances to what are now viewed as "rights."

I see such a degradation in society and a heavy-handed approach to law enforcement as going hand in hand.
    hawgrider likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

TG

This has nothing to do with cops, it's called bad parenting. Arrogance and disrespect in the face of authority is the result of bad parenting, acting like an ass, robbing a store is the result of bad parenting. There will always be assholes but there is always a reason for it, you are directly the product of nurture or lack of it. IMHO.

RIP Johnny

I very much agree with you and not maybe, but all law officers need to have a class on this and start going by them. And since you put these out there are some other commandments that people need to start going by also.
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links