Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing

This is a discussion on Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I do agree that there are far to many "Bad" cops out there, some are Bad just because they are that way at heart, some ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Sir Robert Peel, Father of Modern Policing

I do agree that there are far to many "Bad" cops out there, some are Bad just because they are that way at heart, some have been made that way by interacting with Liars, thugs and pissed off citizens, and some are just automatically seen as Bad because the are letter of the law folks who do not give anyone any breaks. But It's a cycle of their environment, them being alienated by citizens, and the unwillingness to Rat out bad officers by the good officers....That pales in comparison to the criminal activity being conducted by these blacks in their neighborhoods upon each other and then bitching about why racists cops only patrol in force in their neighborhoods. It's like how Blacks complain of why more Blacks are in Jail than whites...Well the answer is quite clear...because more blacks break the laws than whites. Not any other reason...so who needs to change? Blacks. But when anyone even brings up the facts and solutions they are deemed a Racist, if they are white, or an Uncle Tom if they are Black. I think cameras are a good thing and would have prevented the uprising in Ferguson. But yes they are expensive. But a law suit against the Police for brutality , caught on camera by a bystander, would probably cost more. The overall good they could do in providing video evidence to counter "Racist Cop" mantras, as well as in fact forcing bad cops to behave or be found out would be worth the cost. Every Patrol cop gets a car, and a gun, and other resources...A camera is not a whole lot to ask for... I'd rather pay higher taxes in my state for that...Than for it to give a $1million settlement to a person who got the shit beat out of them by a bad cop but doesn't fire his ass.

If they can't do the job professionally, they don't belong in it. The OP seems to have defined what is professional quite well.

Super Moderator

Let's look at number seven, of Peel's Principles. I think it is a pretty important one.

To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

What does that mean to you, and what do you think that should mean to a cop?
    Diver likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well guess I have been fortunate. I have never run into many "bad cops" guess I was never blessed with the ability to look into a person's heart and make that judgement. Have worked with one I know was flat crazy (not sure how he made it past the shrink and psycho test) and at least one who was a full blown criminal/thief but never saw them committing un-needed aggression on innocent civilians. That kind of stuff is not well tolerated in most agencies. Head po pos do not like DOJ bleeding hearts or law suits to come calling. Now my left wing big brudder who lived in Sunny CA for quite a few years claim the LA cops are total outlaws but coming from a guy who voted for the Boy King twice..I dont trust his opinions on that topic. Will agree more black folks are in jail because they commit more crimes. I remember a stat I heard 20 years ago..that of all the armed robberies in Dade County Florididdy..75% of the perps were black even though making up a small percentage of inhabitants. The Cubans were a lot less prone to crime even though they made up a large percentage of the populaton. Sure that holds true in most other violent crime categories and other big cities. The body cameras are coming. Believe Dallas is already using them so the podunk towns will get them next. The dash mounted cameras in the cars have saved untold millions in frivolous law suits. The body cams should be even more cost effective. Good point on that.

I seem to run into cops who either want to use inciters or are just plain incompetent. I remember one traffic stop that was ridiculous. I had weaved in the road looking for a turn at night and a cop pulled me over. He asks for my paperwork and asks "what was that about back there?" I replied "I was confused." I thought my turn was at that point but it was actually further up the road. This moron screams at the top of his lungs "DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT?" I'm thinking this guy needs to have his meds adjusted. I say nothing and wait. As he thinks about the conversation up to that point he slowly realizes he has just made a total ass of himself. He hands back my documents and just leaves.

That was one of the more professional traffic stops I have experienced.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    I seem to run into cops who either want to use inciters or are just plain incompetent. I remember one traffic stop that was ridiculous. I had weaved in the road looking for a turn at night and a cop pulled me over. He asks for my paperwork and asks "what was that about back there?" I replied "I was confused." I thought my turn was at that point but it was actually further up the road. This moron screams at the top of his lungs "DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT?" I'm thinking this guy needs to have his meds adjusted. I say nothing and wait. As he thinks about the conversation up to that point he slowly realizes he has just made a total ass of himself. He hands back my documents and just leaves.

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Reminds me of an incident my first father in law had. He was pulled over by a cop shortly after going through a green light.

Do you know why I pulled you over?

Not a clue.

You ran a red light.

No, it was green.

No, it was red. I was looking dead at it!

Aren't you the cop who was to my left as I went through the light?

The cop thought about it a few seconds, realized it was he who was looking at a red light and not my father in law. He then turned and went back to his patrol car.

Everybody has "once of those days;" I don't care what the profession.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post

Want some cheese with that whine??

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Let's look at number seven, of Peel's Principles. I think it is a pretty important one.

To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

What does that mean to you, and what do you think that should mean to a cop?
    It opens up a bit of a can of worms. As a wise person explained this dilemma quite a few years ago when the clamour first started for more training and increased "professionalism" among cops..and as most statues..most especialy those that deal with the use of lethal force..are based on how a John Q. Citizen might react in a similar situation. It muddies the water and ultimately requires the cop to be held to higher standards than a citizen. So somebody needs to figure out if a cop is a professional or a civic minded citizen as per Mr. Peel's model.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    It opens up a bit of a can of worms. As a wise person explained this dilemma quite a few years ago when the clamour first started for more training and increased "professionalism" among cops..and as most statues..most especialy those that deal with the use of lethal force..are based on how a John Q. Citizen might react in a similar situation. It muddies the water and ultimately requires the cop to be held to higher standards than a citizen. So somebody needs to figure out if a cop is a professional or a civic minded citizen as per Mr. Peel's model.
    This can was opened by the father of modern policing, in 1829. Sir Robert Peel, by the way. It wasn't a can of worms to be debated, either. His principles were how he expected those who were known as Robert's Runners were to conduct themselves.

Held to a higher standard? No, they should be the standard, realize they are the standard, and live and work accordingly.

This doesn't muddy the waters, at all.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Heck, I'm going to hijack my own thread. Better my own than someone else's. Anyway, Diver started it.

I was rolling with the patrol supervisor one evening when "Tim" called for assistance on a traffic stop. We came upon the scene to see Tim holding his weapon on a man who had his right hand in the area of the small of his back. The man was terrified and had obviously wet himself. We immediately knew what had happened.

Sup walked over to Tim, and this is how the conversation went.

Hey, Tim, got'em covered?

Yes, sir!

What happened?

I asked the driver out of the vehicle, after which time I asked to see his drivers license.

Uh-huh, and then what happened?

He flipped his coat back and went for a gun.

A gun? Tim. What did you want to see, right before he went for the "gun?"

Uh, uh, uh......

The gentleman was not issued a citation. There's got to be easier ways of getting out of a ticket, though.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links