So how's your weather? - Page 13
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So how's your weather?

This is a discussion on So how's your weather? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; The wife and I were vacationing in the Adirondacks this last week and Thursday night was 22 degrees. Lots of color in the mountains and ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: So how's your weather?

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    The wife and I were vacationing in the Adirondacks this last week and Thursday night was 22 degrees. Lots of color in the mountains and typically, all the leaves will be gone by the first week of October at the latest.

We did get frost last night. Most uncovered stuff gone. Almost lost some covered stuff, double cover tonight.

Broccoli, cabbage, kale , chard, spinach, lettuce, ......all fine
    Inor, Denton and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    We did get frost last night. Most uncovered stuff gone. Almost lost some covered stuff, double cover tonight.

Broccoli, cabbage, kale , chard, spinach, lettuce, ......all fine
    Kale is evil. Let it die!

It got up to 94 here this afternoon (0% humidity) and will be in the mid 40's within an hour or two. In other words, the weather couldn't be better! I just wish all the smoke from the CA fires would stay on its side of the border. We are in far eastern AZ (about 300-400 miles from CA), but depending on the winds, the smoke is still bad some days.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Kale is evil. Let it die!

It got up to 94 here this afternoon (0% humidity) and will be in the mid 40's within an hour or two. In other words, the weather couldn't be better! I just wish all the smoke from the CA fires would stay on its side of the border. We are in far eastern AZ (about 300-400 miles from CA), but depending on the winds, the smoke is still bad some days.
    Ingredients:

Kale with the stems sliced out close to the leaves, ca. half way up the leaf. The stems chopped into ¼” pieces, the leaves piled on top of each of each other then sliced first into 1” slices perpendicular to the remaining main stem then the slices cut in half. Enough sliced leaves to make a heaping pile on a dinner plate, the stems covered ca. 1/3 of a dinner plate.

Smoked peppered bacon, enough to fill a 10” cast iron skillet.

One cored “little big” apple sliced then cut into ¾ “ pieces, skin on.

Balsamic vinegar, ca. 4 tbsp.

One, large thin sliced onion.

Two chopped cloves of garlic.

A dash of Cinnamon .

Prep:

Slow cook the bacon until just fully crisp then set aside to drain over a paper towel. Add the onion and garlic to the remaining fat and cook over low heat covered with occasional stirring. When the onions show sign of being cooked/slightly browned sprinkle the kale stems and vinegar over them and allow them to cook several minutes, covered over a low heat, do not stir them in but allow to steam, then add the apples and stir them in with the kale stems. Sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon and cook a couple minutes, then add the kale leaves over the whole mixture. While still on a low heat, allow the leaves to steam over the mixture, then, stir them in well into the mixture. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to continue steaming. Serve with the crushed bacon sprinkled over the top to taste. The entrée may have salt added to taste depending on that provided by the bacon.
    JustAnotherNut, Denton and Inor like this.

Kale is nasty by itself, but has too much nutrition not to grow it.......I usually dehydrate then powder it. Add a good sprinkle to recipes.

I've had some salads made with kale, berries, nuts, and usually some kind of vinegarette type dressing, and was good. I think the vinegar cuts the bitterness in some greens.
    Denton, Michael_Js and Inor like this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Yep! Looks like were going to get a drenching over the next few days. Out here in Katy I may get 5" to 10", you may get 20"
    Wind and some rain. Noticed this morning the NHC has moved the rain from 20” down to 5-10”. Steady 20mph this morning. Gusts up to 30mph. Hell, I might go sailing.
    Prepared One likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by 46rkl View Post
    The wife and I were vacationing in the Adirondacks this last week and Thursday night was 22 degrees. Lots of color in the mountains and typically, all the leaves will be gone by the first week of October at the latest.
    Noticed that yesterday set some record lows in the NE. One part of VT hit 25.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Noticed that yesterday set some record lows in the NE. One part of VT hit 25.
    Earliest frost here in last 10-15 years. But I'm old enough to have seen snow late May and late Sept. I remember a Columbus day snowstorm, ~ 15" wet snow while trees still had leaves. Walk through the woods sounded like gunshots as large trees snapped off.

Something to think about for prepper gardens. Can loose a lot of work early or late.

Check out the dodge dart pg. 13 in Bennington Vt 1987 Oct storm

https://www.weather.gov/media/aly/Pa...1987/Frank.pdf
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 09-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Sponsored Links