Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Go bags for your pets

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Pathwacker 
#1 · (Edited)
A recent thread about dogs has inspired me to change brands of food that I feed to my beloved labs. I took the leftover puppy chow that is considered "burgers and twinkies" and vacuum sealed it into portion sized pouches. I also picked up some extra collars and leashes and frontline. I've put this stuff into metal feed buckets, one for each dog. Also included in the go buckets is current info on their rabies shots, etc. What else should I throw in? Does anyone else do this?

#2 ·
How about a nail trimmer and brush if hey are long hair variety.

AJ

#7 ·
I went thru the same food change shortly after we moved to AZ. The kibble we used we gave to the local county animal center since it was opened. About a month later, when I did my monthly date check of foods in the BOB, I found the supply of dog food and swapped it out for the new and better food. With the new food we had to cut the portion down significantly due to our dogs weight gain, so the food in the BOB will last longer. Almost every one of the six foster Golden Retrievers we've taken care of needed to put on about 10 pounds. They have responded to well to the Kirkland food, I find it hard to believe. Ok, I think I stretched out the point here. So if you switch foods, wouldn't it make sense to have the good stuff in the BOB?

#8 · (Edited)
Working breed dogs can carry 20% of their weight & sporting dogs 10% of their weight. Saddlebags are fantastic. Make sure to balance the weight of the bags. Atleast have them carry their own water.

And working breed dogs can easily be taught how to pull a cart. Depending on terrain, age of dog, etc they can cart 200%of their weight but harness & cart must fit properly.

#13 · (Edited)
Dog carting is a great way to transport goods as well as people such as the frail mom who you need to get to your house. Some breeds were meant to haul - the Bouvier pulled milk carts and firewood. Goats can do it, too. And then there are short legged dogs that just need a ride themselves:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/..._VVfV3UB3Ke0CcfjmjOibqhaSDuUFWPe-DUdWietPqSsQ

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...n_8wWuA1oN8LfS1qMBVakzogJgrD7lSyDK9pGjgMfg_Y2

http://www.mynicolita.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSC00615.jpg

#14 ·
Don't forget about the husky and sled dogs. A lot are pretty much born to pull. However I saw them on a list of dogs that insurance companies don't like. Just trying to say that a dog pulling something isn't out of the question and would be normal some places. As a teenager I had a dog. He had a harness and I would sometimes loop the end where the hand hold is through itself and into a laundry basket. Then into his harness. He would pull the basket from out back on the clothes line to the side door.

#15 ·
I include the following in my dog's bags

Dog food in ziplock bags according to wt of dog- I use dehydrated meat and eggs since they are much lighter and they can pack more of them. Lots of dogs also like dried veggies and fruit as a snack but you need to limit quantity of food eaten or hydrate it before use.
water bottle or 2 depending on size of dog, wrapped with duct tape (may need later)
collapsible bowls
mylar blanket
extra collar, leash and a tie out cable
smoked beef bone (keep them busy)
attached to collar and pack- ID
Photo of dog and myself, vet record, and contact information sealed in ziplock
small first aid kit that includes vet wrap, small bottle of saline, small packet of gauze, tube of Neosporin, and Benadryl which can be used for both first aid or to calm dogs if needed.

#18 · (Edited)
In bug out/shtf mode you need food and so does the pet. I don't see packing dog food a priority. The dog gets plenty. When I hunt,skin, and butcher large and small game.

The dog needs tick prevention, meds, 2 collar, leash, bowls and a tie out.

Typical camping weekend and he needs food, water, treats, license and rabies vaccination.

Leashes, micro chipped, bowls and bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.