Auto pilot , Ok maybe not
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Auto pilot , Ok maybe not within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; "Tesla smashes into overturned truck while on Autopilot, report says" There is video, this time. Notice he was in the left lane flying low. https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-s...ruck-autopilot...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Kauboy
  • 3 Post By Denton
  • 3 Post By sonofliberty
  • 2 Post By SOCOM42
  • 2 Post By Kauboy
  • 1 Post By Denton
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42

Thread: Auto pilot , Ok maybe not

"Tesla smashes into overturned truck while on Autopilot, report says"

There is video, this time. Notice he was in the left lane flying low.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-s...ruck-autopilot
    Denton likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Somebody in the comments suspects the driver was asleep, was awoken by the auto-braking, and hit the accelerator first, then the brake near the end. Two distinct puffs of smoke from the tires seem to add evidence to this.
    We'll see what Tesla says.

The SpaceX auto-docking with the space station worked like a charm.
    Maybe the key to Tesla auto-drive is 1/10 of a meter per second speed, lol.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Somebody in the comments suspects the driver was asleep, was awoken by the auto-braking, and hit the accelerator first, then the brake near the end. Two distinct puffs of smoke from the tires seem to add evidence to this.
    We'll see what Tesla says.

The SpaceX auto-docking with the space station worked like a charm.
    Maybe the key to Tesla auto-drive is 1/10 of a meter per second speed, lol.
    Yep we will get the truth out or Tesla. From the looks of the video that car was moving along at a high rate of speed.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

A buddy bought one of those things. One night on the way home from work, I saw him blink and head for the left lane and the. Snatch back to the right. I asked him about it the next day. He said that he and the car were disagreeing on which lane to use.
    Smitty901, Michael_Js and Kauboy like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

No way in hell would I use that stuff. I already hate that most systems are fly by wire instead of mechanical connection and actuation.
    SOCOM42, Michael_Js and Denton like this.

No way in hell would I ever give up command to an autopilot in a car or any ground vehicle.

I have flown by autopilot hundreds of times and hours, even let them bring me down the slope to the middle marker.

Those I had faith in, had to, no way in automotive crap.
    Michael_Js and Denton like this.

Auto-driving in cars will only work when all cars have it and nobody can drive manually. Until then, too many variables.
    Once the cars can communicate in close-range networks, they can function like clockwork. But with a human behind the wheel, it's a constant guessing game of micro-adjustments and drastic decisions made in a microsecond.

I like the concept of the tech, but I don't think I'll see it come to full fruition in my lifetime.
    Denton and Michael_Js like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    No way in hell would I ever give up command to an autopilot in a car or any ground vehicle.

I have flown by autopilot hundreds of times and hours, even let them bring me down the slope to the middle marker.

Those I had faith in, had to, no way in automotive crap.
    The only reason I have any faith is because of redundancy. One flight and everything is normal. Next flight, the squirrels in the cage have rabies.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    The only reason I have any faith is because of redundancy. One flight and everything is normal. Next flight, the squirrels in the cage have rabies.
    You are right, what I remember I lost, DG, xponder, AH, NAVCOM, ADF and airplane.

Was more worried about throwing a jug on some of those old radial engines though.

There was a DC-6 that threw one at startup on the hardstand in the middle of winter.

Never found the jug it went out at about a 45 degree angle, shredded the cowling.

Let me tell you, it is a bitch to swap one out in the middle of winter.
    Denton likes this.

Sponsored Links