How I quit smoking
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How I quit smoking

This is a discussion on How I quit smoking within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I quit smoking like this I had tried and failed at least 20 times before and even tried the chantix pills and patches and gun ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: How I quit smoking

How I quit smoking

I quit smoking like this

I had tried and failed at least 20 times before and even tried the chantix pills and patches and gun

I made sure my cigarettes ran out at bedtime on a friday (I was off work sauturday and sunday)
    I had snacky type foods and stayed home home over the weekend.
    I was committed and told myself many times nothing can make me do something I do not want to do
    mind is stronger then body
    I took several naps
    read a few books
    avoided coffee and beer or whiskey
    first 48 hours were freaking bad
    first 7 days sucked
    first month was a struggle
    but I think you need the cold turkey struggle to really get a monkey off your back

it has been many years... I no longer have any desire
    SOCOM42, Ragnarök, Slippy and 5 others like this.
    Be a Berean

Last January was the 32 year mark for me.

I quit cold turkey, did not have any cravings for them for the first two weeks.

Weeks later, there was however, an internal rush after a meal to light one up, that was hard to deal with.

Today I can't stand the smell of them, I also find the smell coming from a user repulsive.

I put aside any desires for them, I quit because the wife was pregnant and I did not want to contaminate her or the baby.

I did not smoke around her at all, her mother and I use to go outside together for one. I did not smoke inside at all.

My problem was that I put on 28-30 pounds of fat in the first year.

I finally got rid of that fat about 13-15 years ago.

Cold turkey is the only way, I tried other popular methods over the years, none worked.

My quit was similar to Maine-Marine. My wife and son were out of town visiting great-gramma. I too had
    tried to quit many times, especially after witnessing my first autopsy of a smoker. I was cleaning up to
    go to bed and coughed up a real wonker. That was it, cold turkey. Took the 9 packs still in the carton and
    gave it to the boss who had been buming cigarretes from me. Funny note, as a paramedic, I was teaching
    a first aid class at the time. Standing up in front of the class, I had just popped a hard candy in my mouth
    when most of the class started snickering. I unknowingly started searching my pockets for a my lighter, to
    light up. They understood, I didn't!
    It can be done! I wish success to anyone trying to get the monkey off their back.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've been buying loose leaf tobacco and tubes to justify my habit $$$ My daughter says to me, "Do I have to cry for you to quit"
    Maine-Marine and Slippy like this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Ugly damn habit.
    SOCOM42 and Slippy like this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Never smoked but when I was 14 years old I saw an ad in my favorite magazine, The Sporting News, for a FREE CAN of SKOAL! Walt Garrison, Rodeo star and football player was personally going to send me a can of SKOAL in the mail!

So I filled out the form, mailed it in and waited by the mailbox for the next 2 weeks so my parents didn't find out.

One day, Walt's free can of Skoal arrived! I was excited and scared so the next afternoon at baseball practice, I pulled out the can, packed it like I saw the varsity players doing and reached in for a pinch of tobacco to place between my cheek and gum. Thank GOD I was working with the pitchers that day, catching for them in the bullpen because I wasn't able to stand very well. My head was spinning. But I was hooked on smokeless tobacco.

For the next 20+ years or so it was dip or chew and some days both.

When I decided to quit I said no big deal! I had quit a hundred times before... But this time my doctor had used the C word and was worried about pre-cancerous cells in my mouth. So I went home, dumped all the tobacco out of my truck, out of my softball bag, out of my golf bag, out of my office, refrigerators, hidden in cabinets etc etc etc. I was like Otis the Drunk from the Andy Griffith Show, I had cans of Skoal, Copenhagen and pouches of Red Man and Levi Garrett EVERYWHERE!

So I got a calendar, put it up on my bathroom wall and marked off 28 days. Went cold turkey and kicked that habit in the ass! It was November 1996.

Correction, the next spring my softball team got together for practice. Some of the guys had no idea I had quit and offered me a dip. I remember taking a dip of Copenhagen and running out to Left Field to shag some flys. About halfway there, I spit it out. That was the last time.

I never did get mouth cancer but a number of years later 2 of my teeth on that side of my mouth simply broke and the dentist had to pull the tooth roots out of my jaw. My dentist blamed it on smokeless tobacco.

No, I still don't have 2 missing teeth you knuckleheads! For a mere $4000 per tooth, you can get a nice shiny new tooth implanted into your jaw. Shit, they work better than the ones I lost so no big deal. What's $8 Grand in the big scheme of things?

Advise to the youngsters, don't smoke and don't chew tobacco...its nassssstttttyyyyyy!
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-01-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    Joe, SGG, SOCOM42 and 4 others like this.

It was 4:20 somewhere
    Slippy, 1skrewsloose, SGG and 1 others like this.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

I ended a 30+ year dipping habit cold turkey on Dec 30, 2019. I would have tobacco in my mouth at least 15 hours a day. I would only take it out to eat and sleep, and not always then.

I did gain 28 lbs during the following four months, but have now dropped 7 of those.
    paraquack and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarine88 View Post
    I ended a 30+ year dipping habit cold turkey on Dec 30, 2019. I would have tobacco in my mouth at least 15 hours a day. I would only take it out to eat and sleep, and not always then.

I did gain 28 lbs during the following four months, but have now dropped 7 of those.
    I started in high school as a ball player. Continued through the Marine Corps and college. Then through the work etc. I did it for so long, I didn’t need to spit anymore.

Now, I have an implant where my lower front teeth once resided.
    Slippy likes this.

Congratulations to all you quitters!!!
    How I quit smoking-congrats.jpg
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links