Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

The US creating dollars: Challenge your beliefs

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  stowlin 
#1 ·
In 2009 the bail out occurred and the US increased its money supply by $900 billion overnight. The total of money supply was around 11 - 12 Trillion at the time. Even with that money supply the accumulated wealth was $40-45 Trillion or 4x the money supply.

Now the US has over reacted to chinese virals and created close to $3 trillion in new money. Before the markets fell the accumulated wealth was nearing $90 trillion. Money supply was $16 trillion so wealth was 5x the money supply.

$900 Billion / $45 Trillion wealth was 2%
$3 Trillion / $90 Trillion is 3%

With no currency capable of competing with the US the likelihood of repercussions like hyper inflation are just about as significant as they were in 2009.

Preppers, conservatives, capitalist and libertarians share a view this is a bad idea. I often doubt it and did at the beginning of 09. Then I realized they were acting in direct opposite of the 1920’s Great Depression. In that time they refused to stimulate with bail outs instead choosing to fund capital projects in hopes of creating jobs and wages. It was too small, too slow and incapable of curing the depression - only war could.

As much as it pains me to believe the stimulus is the correct answer if you hope to avoid the collapse of the economy as it’s known. It certainly will put the dollar at risk, but at risk of what? What can replace the dollar in 6-12-24 months ? If you can identify that then the risk is real but with out that the US gets away with “printing” or creating money. It’s too bad it’s not used for something meaningful like the capital projects but that alone would leave the US in a deflationary depression.

Can some one prove that wrong with out opinion but with fact?

See less See more
#2 ·
In 2009 the bail out occurred and the US increased its money supply by $900 billion overnight. The total of money supply was around 11 - 12 Trillion at the time. Even with that money supply the accumulated wealth was $40-45 Trillion or 4x the money supply.

Now the US has over reacted to chinese virals and created close to $3 trillion in new money. Before the markets fell the accumulated wealth was nearing $90 trillion. Money supply was $16 trillion so wealth was 5x the money supply.

$900 Billion / $45 Trillion wealth was 2%
$3 Trillion / $90 Trillion is 3%

With no currency capable of competing with the US the likelihood of repercussions like hyper inflation are just about as significant as they were in 2009.

Preppers, conservatives, capitalist and libertarians share a view this is a bad idea. I often doubt it and did at the beginning of 09. Then I realized they were acting in direct opposite of the 1920's Great Depression. In that time they refused to stimulate with bail outs instead choosing to fund capital projects in hopes of creating jobs and wages. It was too small, too slow and incapable of curing the depression - only war could.

As much as it pains me to believe the stimulus is the correct answer if you hope to avoid the collapse of the economy as it's known. It certainly will put the dollar at risk, but at risk of what? What can replace the dollar in 6-12-24 months ? If you can identify that then the risk is real but with out that the US gets away with "printing" or creating money. It's too bad it's not used for something meaningful like the capital projects but that alone would leave the US in a deflationary depression.

Can some one prove that wrong with out opinion but with fact?
Dang, that's above my Macro Economic Paygrade....but I'll bump this thread up and wait for someone smarter than I to chime in...

#3 ·
I actually almost did not graduate high school because I was failing the required 12th grade economics class.
The teacher took pity and gave me a D, so I was able to graduate.

I said that to say this - the original post could have been written in Greek and I would have understood it just as well.

#4 ·
The US printing money is nothing more than a back door tax. It won’t cause the economy to collapse as long as we have adequate production of goods.

In the end, it just makes my retirements and savings worth less, in effect making me poorer. At the same time, some individuals and entities are made richer.

This boils down to redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

#8 ·
Ten years I would have agreed with you 110% based upon the opinions I have grown to accept. Now I'm not so sure. If the US did not print your assets would have deflated in value. That is a tax much harsher then inflation. This is also an opinion but one with historical reference for a country with a sound currency. It again reflects on who could possibly take the US dollar down as a safe haven for wealth?

The US printing money is nothing more than a back door tax. It won't cause the economy to collapse as long as we have adequate production of goods.

In the end, it just makes my retirements and savings worth less, in effect making me poorer. At the same time, some individuals and entities are made richer.

This boils down to redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

#6 ·
Only one thing keeps the dollar viable. You have to have dollars to by oil. It’s irreplaceable as the world reserve currency at the moment. When that changes so will the stability of the US economy and the dollar will become worthless.

#7 ·
You're asking a graduate level question to freshmen...

It has always been true that strong economies can support massive amounts of debt. Look at the Reagan years. The value of the U.S. dollar was excellent, the economy was strong, and we spent like crazy because we could support it.

However, there is always a breaking point. It's anyone's guess where that is at any given time. As a conservative, I prefer to not go looking for it at break-neck speed. When you find it, it's too late to do anything about it.

#9 ·
Guess I’m trying to say we’ve been programmed to think “printing” more money is bad. Certainly there is a limit to what we can print, but what we have printed appears with in the capacity of the American system to support.

Countries that didn’t enjoy the status of the dollar hyper inflated. That is a broad group from 1930’s Germany, to 1980’s Mexico and on to the likes of Venezuela today. No one wants their currency or those currencies but they do want the dollar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.