On line school
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

On line school

This is a discussion on On line school within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I had wondered how many would show up for on line school. here it is hard to tell . The video part is not really ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By Jp4GA
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: On line school

On line school

I had wondered how many would show up for on line school. here it is hard to tell . The video part is not really require for most . They just long in get assignment complete it and move on. From what i have seen the video interaction is low.
    This is not surprising for the hood and LA is the the hood.
    "Some 15,000 Los Angeles high school students have not participated in any online learning since schools were forced to shut down in wake of coronavirus, new data shows.

On top of that, a further 26,000 of the 105,000 high school students participating in online classes have not checked in on a daily basis since institutions closed on March 16, although some of those students may have been assigned coursework that did not require logging on."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angel...ng-coronavirus

I would guess the same is happening in must large cities. Time will tell. Class starts here in 1 hour 45 minutes.
    Michael_Js and RedLion like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I am in N Ga. I have 95 students and all of them are logging in and doing work We have to track logins and notify the counselors if students do not log in at least every other day. We then have to call parents each week if the student is missing assignments. Our system gave out over 10,000 laptops for kids to take home, and connected families with a company providing free internet service.

The first week was a disaster because no one logged in, they treated it like a vacation. We then ran reports sent information to the counselors, and started phone calls. In talking with staff at my school we all have the same response "kids that worked in the building are now working at home, kids that did not are still not working." Our system is being viewed as a success for right now but we will see how it goes. This week my daughters Middle School implemented conference calls- each day 1 subject, so they can touch base with the teacher and get a short online lesson. Many teachers are recording videos for students to use daily, some like me do not do it daily, but do it when needed.

We are all learning how to do this as we go, but I feel like this is going to impact these kids for years to come. Kids will be promoted to the next grade and possibly not have the skills needed. If they are in Algebra 1 and don't really learn these last 6 weeks of school, they are set up to fail when they enter an Algebra 2 class in the fall. Many kids are just googling answers and getting grades even when they have not learned a thing. Time will tell, how successful online is, but it may take more time than we realize to see the actual long term implications of all of these school shut downs.
    Smitty901 and MountainGirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jp4GA View Post
    I am in N Ga. I have 95 students and all of them are logging in and doing work We have to track logins and notify the counselors if students do not log in at least every other day. We then have to call parents each week if the student is missing assignments. Our system gave out over 10,000 laptops for kids to take home, and connected families with a company providing free internet service.

The first week was a disaster because no one logged in, they treated it like a vacation. We then ran reports sent information to the counselors, and started phone calls. In talking with staff at my school we all have the same response "kids that worked in the building are now working at home, kids that did not are still not working." Our system is being viewed as a success for right now but we will see how it goes. This week my daughters Middle School implemented conference calls- each day 1 subject, so they can touch base with the teacher and get a short online lesson. Many teachers are recording videos for students to use daily, some like me do not do it daily, but do it when needed.

We are all learning how to do this as we go, but I feel like this is going to impact these kids for years to come. Kids will be promoted to the next grade and possibly not have the skills needed. If they are in Algebra 1 and don't really learn these last 6 weeks of school, they are set up to fail when they enter an Algebra 2 class in the fall. Many kids are just googling answers and getting grades even when they have not learned a thing. Time will tell, how successful online is, but it may take more time than we realize to see the actual long term implications of all of these school shut downs.
    Keep up the good work. New experience for most. No one was ready for it. One thing to use online classes in a school another thing to replace the school with an IPad. We will have to deal with in missing the last quarter will have long term effects. But we can over come it.
    Seems out here even with all the money we gave them to do it. The schools network is not up to this many students using it. The one App they use for assignments and submitting their work has crashed 3 times so far. With millions spent on internet speed the video app is choppy and stops a lot. Once a bunch get sick of it and sign off it works pretty good.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-31-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Jp4GA likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My college classes have moved to an online format. Most classes are attended by all students. And if not they are available to watch online. Watching attendance to the video lectures appears that most of my class mates are attending the live sessions.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links