Coronavirus Reality Check. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coronavirus Reality Check.

This is a discussion on Coronavirus Reality Check. within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy As of 7:18 PM Eastern time tonight, March 25, there were 65,564 Coronavirus cases in the US, and 929 ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Coronavirus Reality Check.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    As of 7:18 PM Eastern time tonight, March 25, there were 65,564 Coronavirus cases in the US, and 929 deaths.
    According to my calculator, that works out to a 0.014% chance of dying from this, IF YOU EVEN GET IT.

Yet, the media has everyone whipped up into a hysterical frenzy.
    State and local governments are ordering lockdowns. Businesses are closed, people are out of work.
    And, straight out of The Twilight Zone, some Democrat mayors are releasing criminals into the streets.

This is absolutely, totally, asinine and absurd.

I have better things to do than waste time worrying about this made up "pandemic".
    And I'm glad both of my parents are dead so they can't see how sissified their country has become.
    I always find a graphical interpretation is easier to understand.

Have a look here:

https://www.nytimes.com./interactive...es-spread.html

The fear is from the speed of the rate of transmission.
    The disease is not pleasant. The outcome is fatal for about 1 in 20 of those that get it weighted towards to old and infirm. It leaves permanent lung changes. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get better. Research shows that most people get it without signs or symptoms. What worries people is the numbers of people getting it at the same time are overwhelming the medical system and people who should have survived, arenít.

On 5th March, in the US, you had a 1 in 370 000 000 chance of having it and showing signs and symptoms. 0% chance of dying.
    As I type this, hours after you did, your figure of 0.014% for infection has risen to 0.018%
    Thatís a 13% bigger number.
    Your chance of dying from this has risen to 0.0028%. There is no cure. There is no vaccine. If you have a bad case of this, oxygen and a ventilator will keep you from drowning in your own body fluids. There is a finite number of those. Victims tie those machines up for about 10 days each.

A comparison could be made with the Vietnam war.
    That war lasted 21 years (1954Ė75). 57,939 members of U.S. armed forces died or were missing as a result of the war. (Over the following years, additions to the list have brought the total past 58,200). An average of 2771 a year or 7.6 a day.
    150 000 were wounded and recovered.
    An average of 7142 a year or 19.56 a day.
    This virus has killed 1032 Americans in 20 days. An average of 51.6 a day, over 2 per hour. Itís caused illness in 68,489. An average of 3424 a day, 142.7 an hour.
    You canít see this enemy. You donít know you have been attacked until 5-12 days afterwards. In the meantime you are spreading the disease amongst your family and friends. You become the enemy.
    The Vietnam war was terrible. 58,200 lost their lives. Imagine the outcry if that had happened in the first month. Would the US have nuked the Vietnamese jungle?

The amount of people getting sick at the same time will crash the economy. This is Spanish flu AND the Great Depression at the same time.

I do believe, my dear @RicePaddyDaddy, you just donít quite see the big picture at the moment.

All those years of prepping are about to come in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fangfarrier; 03-26-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Denton and Bigfoot63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Both those countries are filthy places compared to US and healthcare not as great as they claim .
    Tell me. Have you been there?
    Iíve been to the US, Italy and Spain.
    Iíd say all three are equally clean. The healthcare is much much better in Spain and Italy. For a start, itís free.

Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Then you go back out into the community, with everyone else that's coming back out, and catch the crud from someone who caught it recently and was asymptomatic, and then you share it with everyone else as they share it with everyone else and only a few get symptoms but of course that's only the flu because this three week lockdown destroyed ALL the CoVid. Right?

Right.
    Right!

Itís called second wave infection. Just ask China.

Denton and MountainGirl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Iím not sure if I have posted this before.

China mobile telecommunications is state owned -China Mobile. You like it or lump it. Thereís no choice.
    Want to drive? Your licence is electronic- itís on your phone.
    Want to travel? Your permit is electronic- itís on your phone.
    Need healthcare? Your record is electronic- itís on your phone.

Now China Telecommunications companies are reporting that in the last three months 21.3million Chinese residents have ďunsubscribedĒ.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/china-hiding-...ared-why-41580

I have heard so many numbers and projections on this China bug I can't keep up with it all. I do know the media is over hyping it and pursuing the agenda of their puppet masters. I do know the government has no freakin clue how to deal with it and Pelosi and her minions are trying to leverage the situation for their own gain. I do know it has killed the economy outright. I don't know that sheltering in place is the answer. I don't know that anyone really has the answer.

All I can do is take the proper precautions and protect me and mine as best I can. My Dad and Mom are sheltering in place and are well suited to do so. My wife and I both work in critical infrastructure businesses so I am working and she is working from home. Both workplaces are observing all the protocols set in place as well as my wife and I.

I am all for protecting the older and at risk since those people seem to be the ones with the highest mortality rate. But, putting people out of work and shutting down businesses? Now, I can afford to sit 3 weeks or 3 months if I have to as I have the financial ability. But most businesses and most people don't have that ability. Most people have less then a weeks worth of food in the house and less then a 100 bucks in the bank. Most businesses, small businesses in particular, can't survive a zero cash flow for long. So, the Government is going to hand out 2 trillion dollars that it doesn't have, and that's just the start. Is that the answer?

We can mitigate, but people are going to get sick and people are going to die, this is not the first Pandemic nor will it be the last. what will we learn?
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Why is not half or more of China dead already ? Seems the worst in US is in Liberal controlled areas must be a reason. Reason is this is a wind fall for them they want it to spread. NYC and CA want the rest of the country to pay all their bills and give them more of everything.
    MountainGirl and Denton like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Super Moderator

For some perspective....

More people died from car accidents in 1909 than have died from Covid 19 so far.

Deaths from car accidents:

*2016 - 37,806
    *2017 - 37,133
    *2018 - 36,560

No one batted an eye at this. Roads weren't closed and cars weren't banned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    MountainGirl likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

News flash Hospitals are not over run here . Two cities near here emergence rooms are ghost towns. Deal with fact not hype. The sky is falling. We need more money for the arts programs and Union leadership . And we fell for it.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    For some perspective....

More people died from car accidents in 1909 than have died from Covid 19 so far.

Deaths from car accidents:

*2016 - 37,806
    *2017 - 37,133
    *2018 - 36,560

2016 - 37,806 or 103.5 a day
    *2017 - 37,133 or 101.7 a day
    *2018 - 36,560 or 101.4 a day

US Covid fatalities this month: 1036 or 40 a day (26 days), about the same as Spain two weeks ago.
    Spain fatality figures yesterday: 442 and theyíve got 1/7th of the population

Youíre underestimating this massively.

For some perspective....

More people died from car accidents in 1909 than have died from Covid 19

The aggregate number of reported traffic fatalities during 1909 in the registration cities was 6,605 [365 days]
    Crum, Frederick S. ďStreet Traffic Accidents.Ē Publications of the American Statistical Association, vol. 13, no. 103, 1913, pp. 473Ė528. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2964794. Accessed 26 Mar. 2020.

Covid deaths so far: 1032 [26 days]
    WHO Accessed 26 Mar. 2020

Your statement is correct, today. Letís come back at the end of day 365 and compare.

Since 1909:
    Connecticut creates first state wide traffic laws (max speed 12mph in cities)
    1910- New York introduces first DUI laws
    1930 traffic lights introduced
    1950 seat belts fitted as standard in cars
    1951 air bags invented
    1953 motor cycle helmets invented
    1958 Automobile Information Disclosure Act passes
    1966 Dept of Transport created
    1968 First Federal Safety standards for cars comes into effect
    1970 NHTSA is established to reduce deaths, injuries and economic losses from vehicle crashes
    1974 National Speed limit set at 55mph
    1977 Star of Life created as emergency vehicle identification
    1978 first child passenger safety law enacted & car (frontal) impact testing begins
    1984 Law passed to require wearing of seat belts & the Motor Vehicle Theft Law Enforcement Act is passed
    1985 Crash Test Dummies introduced to show benefits of wearing seatbelts
    1993 5 star safety ratings introduced
    1996 side impact testing added to 5 star rating
    1998 zero tolerance for blood alcohol in under 21s introduced
    1999 Dual air bags introduced
    2000 rollover resistance added to 5 star rating & Transport Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act enacted
    2001 Crash Avoidance rating added to 5 star rating
    2003 seat belt wearing becomes mandatory next all states
    2005 motorcycle helmets became compulsory when using a motorcycle & 0.8 per se act enacted
    2006 all new vehicles must have safety data label affixed to price stickers
    2007 Electronic Stability Control introduced & Tire pressure monitoring systems introduced
    2008 stricter standards to 5 star rating introduced
    2009 combating Distracted Driving introduced by Executive Order
    2010 5 star rating enhanced again
    2011 traffic fatalities at all time low (since 1949) & Child Safety (vehicles) recommendations made stricter.
    2013 Real time safety figures for each vehicle introduced
    2014 Free online recall tracker by VIN introduced
    2015 seat belt use at all time high (87%) & new 5 star system made stricter

I think many an eye was batted about car fatalities.

Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    As of 7:18 PM Eastern time tonight, March 25, there were 65,564 Coronavirus cases in the US, and 929 deaths.
    According to my calculator, that works out to a 0.014% chance of dying from this, IF YOU EVEN GET IT.

Yet, the media has everyone whipped up into a hysterical frenzy.
    State and local governments are ordering lockdowns. Businesses are closed, people are out of work.
    And, straight out of The Twilight Zone, some Democrat mayors are releasing criminals into the streets.

This is absolutely, totally, asinine and absurd.

I have better things to do than waste time worrying about this made up "pandemic".
    And I'm glad both of my parents are dead so they can't see how sissified their country has become.
    Where did you learn to do math? That's a 1.4% chance of dying but it will probably go up a bit since the virus in new enough in the US that a lot of people who have it haven't had time to die.

As of this morning the death rate is up to 1.6% but if they run out of medical equipment it will jump dramatically. 1046 deaths / 69246 cases

Italy who's medical ability has been overwhelmed is somewhere around a 9.5% fatality rate.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links