Local Virus effects (whats up in your area) - Page 14
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Local Virus effects (whats up in your area)

This is a discussion on Local Virus effects (whats up in your area) within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by MountainGirl The physical infrastructures of the internet, wired or wireless, were not designed to handle this load. Think of it this way: ...

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree643Likes

Thread: Local Virus effects (whats up in your area)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    The physical infrastructures of the internet, wired or wireless, were not designed to handle this load.
    Think of it this way: Our 3/4" garden hose keeps our lawn watered just fine; but using it to put out a fire on the mountainside - it would fail every time.
    Actually, we've stayed pretty well ahead of the curve while increasing throughput. We aren't using the "garden hoses" of the old ARPANET system anymore. We are using glass filament to push data at speeds we can hardly fathom.
    5 years ago, a group developed a fiber cable that could push 255 terabits of data per second.
    To put 255Tbps into perspective, the fastest single-fiber links in commercial operation top out at 100Gbps, or 2,550 times slower. 255Tbps is mindbogglingly quick; it’s greater, by far, than the total capacity of every cable — hundreds of glass fibers — currently spanning the Atlantic Ocean. In fact, 255 terabits per second is similar to — or maybe even more than — the total sum of all traffic flowing across the internet at peak time.
    (emphasis added by me)
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...c-single-fiber

Yeah, that was an "extreme" example, but it was also 5 years ago.
    Add to this, the fact that we are rolling out wireless 5G across the world, and it has a top theoretical speed of 10 gigabits (100x faster than 4G's 100 megabits, and only 10x slower than wired 100 gigabit fiber), we are generating available bandwidth like crazy.
    Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ couldn't function if large volume data wasn't possible.
    The fact that we even still track data usage for pricing schemes boggles the mind. At some point, how much you use will become irrelevant.

As far as the U.S. goes, we aren't straining our internet at all.
    Our aging electrical system on the other hand...
    Denton and Prepared One like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Schools are finally out in Idaho. No idea for how long.
    The local hospital is flooded with people, every ache and cough seems to have people going in.

People are officially in the grocery store crying because they can't find themselves or their parents toilet paper.
    So far we haven't been told to stay home but most are.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jp4GA View Post
    Nearby county has instituted a curfew 9pm-7am you must be in your house, unless you are considered to be essential. Most local malls are closing as of 5 pm tonight. We have 3 deaths in our state and are up to 297 confirmed (as of 9 this morning).

No new rumors on schools, but we are all closed until March 31, then most have Spring Break. I have been teaching online and it is not as easy as everyone thinks.
    So I mistyped..... we have 197 confirmed not 297....
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Actually, we've stayed pretty well ahead of the curve while increasing throughput. We aren't using the "garden hoses" of the old ARPANET system anymore. We are using glass filament to push data at speeds we can hardly fathom.
    5 years ago, a group developed a fiber cable that could push 255 terabits of data per second.
    (emphasis added by me)
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...c-single-fiber

Yeah, that was an "extreme" example, but it was also 5 years ago.
    Add to this, the fact that we are rolling out wireless 5G across the world, and it has a top theoretical speed of 10 gigabits (100x faster than 4G's 100 megabits, and only 10x slower than wired 100 gigabit fiber), we are generating available bandwidth like crazy.
    Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ couldn't function if large volume data wasn't possible.
    The fact that we even still track data usage for pricing schemes boggles the mind. At some point, how much you use will become irrelevant.

As far as the U.S. goes, we aren't straining our internet at all.
    Our aging electrical system on the other hand...
    It all sounds really great - but speed is determined by the slowest 'component' in the chain to the end-user.
    In other words - as soon as we all have fiber to the desktop, or even to the towers, we'll all be good.
    Until then...
    Also, 3G and 4G cant even access the 5G system - and all those students trying to log-in, download, all of it, well - I wish them best of luck. @Jp4GA is right; the teachers need patience; as do we all.
    Jp4GA likes this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

It all sounds really great - but speed is determined by the slowest 'component' in the chain to the end-user.
    In other words - as soon as we all have fiber to the desktop, or even to the towers, we'll all be good.
    Until then...
    Also, 3G and 4G cant even access the 5G system - and all those students trying to log-in, download, all of it, well - I wish them best of luck. @Jp4GA is right; the teachers need patience; as do we all.
    Like I said, that new tech is staying ahead of the curve. We haven't maxed out our current ubiquitous technology yet, and we are still pushing toward the future with more!
    Lessons will be learned from this time, I'm sure. But thankfully we are not about to overload the internet just yet.
    Denton and MountainGirl like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Until then...
    Where we live the fiber cable may run right down the side of the road but you can get it. They have made it clear it will not happen. You have dial up witch generally does not work out here. You have satellite witch is expensive and a ripp off on what they say you get and what you get.
    Or option 3 RF signal off a water tower. 4.3 miles away. It is by no means fast. But not limited like the Satellite and works s pretty well in bad weather. That is what I have
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

We are really lucky in Grand Coulee. The neighboring county's P.U.D. provides fiber optic internet. It doesn't run out to the boonies where our place is, but a local provider piggy backs off their system and provides line of sight internet via microwave. It's fast, it's unlimited and it's cheap ($50/month!). Before that, the only choice was satellite, which seems like it would be great, but it's slow, expensive, and the download limits preclude streaming anything.

Personally I am bored..So bored that I am peeling the labels off of the soup/chili/etc cans...That way I will be surprised when it comes to chow time...
    soyer38301, KUSA, Denton and 3 others like this.
    Agure Aut Mori

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Personally I am bored..So bored that I am peeling the labels off of the soup/chili/etc cans...That way I will be surprised when it comes to chow time...
    When I was a kid, I did that very thing.

Got my ass beat over that one. Never again.
    Denton, Kauboy, stevekozak and 1 others like this.

Well, our local town government has officially increased their powers in what they call a "disaster declaration".
    They claim it is all in the name of preventing spread. They have a provision in it that the declaration is only in effect for 7 days... unless it is renewed.
    Texas law grants any mayor the "powers of the Governor" with respect to their locale when such declarations are issued. That rubs me all kinds of wrong ways. There is a provision in the declaration that states "That this declaration hereby authorizes the use of all lawfully available enforcement tools." That's FAR too vague for my liking.
    These are apparently duplicate declarations from Fort Worth, our largest local neighbor.

The folks came by to pick up their shotgun. That was an odd scenario. They called ahead of time and asked me to put it on the porch. I wasn't about to leave a gun on the porch, even in the case. So I stood at the door while still on the phone with them. My dad got out while my mother stayed in the truck on the phone. Dad wouldn't approach the porch until I stepped inside, even though the case was 8 feet or so away from me. They are taking it serious, and I'm thankful for that. They've never been the kind to prepare ahead of time, but they are resourceful. My mother even made her own disinfectant wipes to keep with them, because she couldn't find any at the stores.

Checked on my little brother. He says he's good. He'd hit the grocery before the rush happened, so he has a few weeks of normal groceries on hand. Says he doesn't need anything at this time, but knew I would be the one to be ready for this. Hopefully he learns something from this too.
    MountainGirl and inceptor like this.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links