Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Need some IT geek help

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Kauboy 
#1 ·
After we recently moved Hot Nursey's printer isnt working. Its the wireless kind that prints from her laptop. We tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. Didnt work. The printer cant even detect her laptop.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slippy
#4 ·
After we recently moved Hot Nursey's printer isnt working. Its the wireless kind that prints from her laptop. We tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. Didnt work. The printer cant even detect her laptop.

Any suggestions?

All this newfangled garbage and lingo like "wireless", "laptop" and "IT" is just gibberish! Y'all need to get a setup like mine! State of the Effing Art I tell you! (Slippy beams with pride! :tango_face_grin:)

Computer Personal computer Output device Computer desk Netbook

Seriously, if Hot Nursey is running Windows 10 first go to SETTTINGS then DEVICES then PRINTERS AND SCANNERS and make sure the printer is the default printer. If not, you'll have to root around and figure out how to reset it. Also, search your wireless network for the printer. You may have to enter a password or a "key" to allow the printer to show up on your wireless network.

If for some reason this does not work, go to the printer manufacturer website and download an App that corresponds to the printer then set up the printer in your wireless network.

#7 ·
Check the IP address on the printer. (Look in the manual for the printer how to do that.) Make sure it is connected to the same network as her computer. If it is not connected to your network, you may need to configure the printer to talk to the router. That is usually a pretty simple process and will be documented in the printer manual.

#8 ·
Could be a spool issue that needs updating. Assuming the printer was previosly working on said laptop.

On Windows 10:
-type in the word printers on the search space on the task bar.
-click on the printers name
-click manage
-click troubleshoot

See if this re connects the printer.

If that doesn't work trade hot nursey in for a smart nursey.

#9 ·
All good suggestions. Some we've tried other we haven't. I'm going to run through all of them until one works. I'll update you.

If nothing works I'm defaulting to the gun safe suggestion.

#10 · (Edited)
Slowly walk the printer to the back yard, keep smiling and make eye contact. And for the love of god, don't let it see the gun in your hand. Remember, you want it to think everything will be OK.

#12 ·
My plan is different, . . .

When they get to where I cannot make em work like they used to or like I want em to, . . . I just go to the local gizmo shop and buy a new one.

The old one goes up into the attic, . . . to gather dust forever, . . . no cables, no electricity, and not near each other.

I am not sure, . . . but I believe there is still a wireless connection between those in isolation and those in operation, . . . cause it seems that each generation of operation seems to have learned that they can get banished, . . . so they seem to try harder.

Works for me anyway, . . . so that's it, . . . you got my story, . . . and I'm sticking with it, . . . will even print it if I have to.

May God bless,
Dwight

#14 ·
Maybe a dumb question that you’ve already addressed.

My printer is also wireless. We can print from our laptops wirelessly but the printer itself is plugged into the router.

Try plugging the printer directly into the router and then adding it via windows (what ever version you have). Also if it’s a “older” printer you may be see it whe adding the printer. There is an option for that and I think it’s actually, “add and older printer”.

Good luck!!!!

If all else fails.. drop kick it. Shooting it too loud in the house. But if you do shoot it.. be safe and use ear and eye protection.

Reactions: Sasquatch
#16 ·
The question I have to ask is... what changed during the move?
Laptop settings?
Printer settings?
Router or its settings? (new ISP perhaps, thus potentially new router)

Hopefully you've got this figured out by now, but whenever I diagnose tech issues, this is where I always start. *Something* is normally different, but forgotten.

#17 ·
There is a new router BUT this issue started right before we moved it. Our initial thought was the little one and her friends happened by it and pressed a bunch of buttons. HN cant find the manual so I might have to see if I can DL it from the HP site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.