Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America?

30K views 262 replies 54 participants last post by  ANGWife 
#1 ·
What have you done to prep for this, if anything?

#3 ·
Not much other than staying out of the Chinese market.

Only case here so far is in Boston, but some could show up in Worcester/ Worcester county sooner or later.

I live in the country in a town of 4,000, have little contact with anyone.

My shopping is limited to certain stores, can change if cases start to show up locally, that is in a 20 mile radius.

If things get bad, I will just close up and not leave my home until it has all blown over.

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I am just trying to get a pulse on what other like minds are thinking. I am in Canada and a very good distance from all confirmed cases thus far, however have taken some preparation measures over the past week and trying to gauge if we went overkill or not. Would rather have though than to have not, on this unknown and developing situation..

#8 ·
Not concerned at all.

Retired, and living rurally. Haven't been to the city since I quit work almost 4 years ago.

Now, if I lived in a big city, or still commuted to one for work, I'd pay more attention.

#9 ·
I’m in really good shape, but I always think I could improve in lots of areas. If more infections start to show up here in the USA I will increase food and dog food stocks. I’ve been thinking of purchasing more antibiotics. Antibiotics have no effect against viruses, but I read where we import most of our drugs from factories around the Wuhan area. Antibiotics may become scarce in the near future.

#92 ·
I'm in really good shape, but I always think I could improve in lots of areas. If more infections start to show up here in the USA I will increase food and dog food stocks. I've been thinking of purchasing more antibiotics. Antibiotics have no effect against viruses, but I read where we import most of our drugs from factories around the Wuhan area. Antibiotics may become scarce in the near future.
It's often not the virus that kills you, but the secondary bacterial infection.

#12 · (Edited)
As I said before . 24 people have died in Wisconsin from the flu this season. That is just one state . So if we were going to get real worried about a virus we should be worried about the flu. Head lines sell news what is the big one of the day. Now if you want to have some fun. Figure out the precentage of the US population as it compares to the New Virus in China . The deaths in China would be a very small percentage.
I am not saying the new one is not serious.

"CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through January 25, 2020, there have been: 10,000 – 25,000 deaths "
"180,000 – 310,000 flu hospitalizations"

#13 ·
As I said before . 24 people have died in Wisconsin from the flu this season. That is just one state . So if we were going to get real worried about a virus we should be worried about the flu. Head lines sell news what is the big one of the day. Now if you want to have some fun. Figure out the precentage of the US population as it compares to the New Virus in China . The deaths in China would be a very small percentage.
I am not saying the new one is not serious.

"CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through January 25, 2020, there have been: 10,000 - 25,000 deaths "
"180,000 - 310,000 flu hospitalizations"
And how many of the dead ones did not get the flu shot?

How many came down with it, had already had the shot which resulted in a diminished attack?

#17 ·
I'll increase my stocks of bleach/pool shock, detergents, soaps, disinfectants if things start to look bad.. Need to keep your house clean, if someone in the family comes down with it so it don't spread.

As far as treatment it's like any other flu, get rest, take care of yourself. Re-hydration fluid can be handy, I make my own from various salts and sugar. Decongestants and expectorants can help if the lungs become involved. Herbal teas, honey, and soups help with that too.

Might be good to have antibiotics, a bad flu often allows bacterial infections of the lungs. The pneumonia can kill you too.

I'm pretty well set with food stocks, have enough wood (heat/cooking) that I can stay home and not have contact with people.

I also mentioned that money can carry germs, and they go right in your pocket. I don't think they really know yet, how long this virus can live on various surfaces? Wash your hands a lot, don't touch your eyes, nose mouth, unless you've washed up. Same with other things that you touch like door knobs/handles, gas pumps, etc

#27 · (Edited)
I travel a LOT for business. This week I am in Toronto, next week Monreal. Both have a significant populations of Chinese. I am not too worried at this point. If I get it, I get it, life will go on; or it won't. This one does not seem too serious.

The absolute worst flu I ever had in my life also came from a trip to Toronto and it never made the news. I picked it up working with a bunch of Indians (dot Indians, not feather Indians). I gave it to my wife. We were both down and out for at least 2 weeks. We called it "The Dot Flu". We were both hoping we would die from that one. This one sounds like it is really bad for a day or two, then it either kills you or goes away as quickly as it came on. When I do eventually get back home, we live in the middle of nowhere, so I will stick close to the ranch for a week or two in case I have it and do not know. But beyond that, I will not change much.

So no, my preps have not changed at all. We have plenty of food and everything else. The only thing I am short of right now is free cash flow and that is because the government just finished their 2 times per year robbery of my bank account. Piss on 'em!

#29 ·
You know what? I had no confidence that the geeks would get the country ready for Y2K. I prepared. Not just for me but me family. Turned out, there were very few glitches. I even complimented the company geek who worked like a mad man to get things right.
Days later, my older brother thanked me for prepping for the entire family.
Do what you think is right. It doesn't matter if your family doesn't understand as long as they don't die.

#31 ·
I am not overly concerned about any of this. More people are dying of the regular flu then the china bug. I am well stocked with masks, drugs, antibiotics, sanitizer, soaps, etc. It's worth keeping an eye on. I don't think it's anything to panic over. Now, the democrats on the other hand......................................

Reactions: jimcosta and Inor
#35 ·
I'm very concerned about this outbreak.
few reasons.
1 Corona virus is basically the same virus as the common cold... easily transmits/ spreads (think cold season)
2 It has already spread all over China and the world increasing chances it will become a pandemic.
3 China has the resources to contain an epidemic (military state, financial resources, cooperative public, and health care system) however
I fear Thailand, India, Africa will not be able to contain it, making it impossible to screen incoming visitors to the USA based on nationality.
4 Mortality from this virus by early estimates is significantly higher than the FLU... think 20 -50x higher. especially for people over the age of 60
5 an epidemic in the USA I fear will create panic, hysteria, and overloading of our health care system and infrastructure....

on a FEAR scale of 1-10 I'm at a 4
when it becomes epidemic (escapes containment /quarantine)in a foreign country other than china … fear level 5
when it becomes epidemic in the USA (escapes containment /quarantine in the USA) …. fear level 6
when it becomes epidemic in Alabama (escapes containment /quarantine) …. fear level 7
when it becomes epidemic in my city) …. fear level 8
when food / gasoline / infrastructure utilities fail …. fear level 9
when they institute curfews and military law .. .fear level 10....

I have a plan for increased preps for each level of fear.....
for now I'm up to 2 months of food / dry goods.
I've stocked up on masks, medication (anti pyretics) anti diarrheals, electrolyte replacements, and decon supplies
bleach, multipurpose cleaners, 70% rubbing alcohol 70% , and stuff for decontamination stations, room...
air venting.

if it goes higher,, I will try to increase preps,... prior to the expected paranoia and fear...

#45 ·
As of now its a blip on the radar for me. Something to keep an eye on but not anything to raise the alarm about. I did pick up some masks although I don't know if I'd ever wear them except maybe to work if things got bad enough. Kind of glad I did, because when I checked again last week out of curiosity they had sold out despite having a decent number in stock the last time I checked.

It seems these health scares keep popping up, Ebola from a couple years ago comes to mind. People start freaking out when there really is nothing to freak out about yet. Personally I blame tv shows like The Walking Dead.

All you really need is to look at the list of stuff recommended by ready.gov and expand on it, you should have supplies to last you longer than the 3 days they recommend.

#47 ·
As of now its a blip on the radar for me. Something to keep an eye on but not anything to raise the alarm about. I did pick up some masks although I don't know if I'd ever wear them except maybe to work if things got bad enough. Kind of glad I did, because when I checked again last week out of curiosity they had sold out despite having a decent number in stock the last time I checked.

It seems these health scares keep popping up, Ebola from a couple years ago comes to mind. People start freaking out when there really is nothing to freak out about yet. Personally I blame tv shows like The Walking Dead.

All you really need is to look at the list of stuff recommended by ready.gov and expand on it, you should have supplies to last you longer than the 3 days they recommend.
thank you, i am going to look ready.gov up. you know i always hated those zombie ect shows, have never even sat through one. but maybe i should just to witness a "worst case" biological scenario lol

#49 ·
Hey @prepster5 don't be discouraged, we here get a little on edge right after a troll or person "goes off the deep end".
Welcome, and prep away.
As for me, and my family, we just wash our hands more, use sanitizer more, and I might start adding a drop of bleach to a sink full of water and dipping the clean dishes in, then let then air dry, like usual. My dishwasher is disconnected at the moment.
Having kids in school, and being a coach for several sports, if it comes here, we will be exposed.
Like stated above, hundreds die from the flu, and a few die from this corona virus? ehh, I m not scared.

#54 ·
What point would you take your kids out of school and request work to do at home? My husband is ready to do it asap and i try to maintain that "its not that close (yet)"... i told myself if it shows up in the "big centre" an hour away then i would...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.