How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America? - Page 14
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America?

This is a discussion on How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; We have a trip to Ireland in June... still going....

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree575Likes

Thread: How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America?

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    We have a trip to Ireland in June... still going.
    Mish and Denton like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    We have a trip to Ireland in June... still going.
    Luckily, I didn't book or pay for anything yet.
    Ireland! That's awesome! That is on my bucket list. I want pictures!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Denton and Piratesailor like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Forget about liquid bleach. Go to a swimming pool supply store and pick up some powdered pool shock. The stuff lasts forever and one package will mix up more bleach than you could use in a lifetime. Directions for mixing are all over the web. It’s also useful for treating drinking water.

thanks chiefster.. I heard about pool shock.. .didnt think of the part where it last forever!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Liquid bleach is mostly water and is about useless after a year. Pool shock can be corrosive. I store mine in glass canning jars with tightly sealed plastic lids. Pool shock (sodium hypochlorite) comes in different strengths so find your formula for mixing on line but you must take into account the strength of the chemical.
    Denton, Slippy, BamaDOC and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Son got back from doing a job in South Korea and still has to assist by phone. He just sent me this text:

Just heard osan ab is on lock down and korea is putting pyongtaek into a semi qurarantined state. Virus spiked in Asia and Europe seemingly overnight. I'm selling all my stock on Monday. The world economy is headed for a slow down.
    Kid proved partially right; the markets freaked. He sold his positions at the opening. Me? I sold nothing. Matter of fact, I might buy more, tomorrow.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Liquid bleach is mostly water and is about useless after a year. Pool shock can be corrosive. I store mine in glass canning jars with tightly sealed plastic lids. Pool shock (sodium hypochlorite) comes in different strengths so find your formula for mixing on line but you must take into account the strength of the chemical.

Chiefster,

The solid is calcium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite (solid) is unstable....perchlorates are worse, they explode!

.........at the hardware store, I picked up some 13.3 oz, 52% chlorine HTH, pool shock packets today.....

So in a roundabout way........

# grams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine mg/L x # gallons to be treated gal x 3.785 L/gal)/1,000 mg/g x %chlorine in HTH solid/100%

or

# grams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine g/L X liters to be treated L )/ (% chlorine in HTH solid / 100%)

or

# milligrams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine mg/mL X mL-liters to be treated mL )/ (% chlorine in HTH solid / 100%)

5% chlorine = 50,000mg/L = 50g/L = 50mg/mL

1 oz = 28.35 grams 1 gal = 3785 mL = 3.785 L

The 13.3 oz ,52% Chlorine, HTH pool shock bags give: 5.2 6.5 and 4.9 % chlorine diluted to 1-gal 3-L and 4-L , respectively. Easy to mix up a gallon or 3-4 liters of "bleach". Good disinfectant at ~5-6% chlorine

To treat water for drinking you want 7 ppm chlorine.

1ppm = 1mg/1000g 1mg/1000g X 1000g/L = 1mg/L 7 X 1 mg/L X 3.785L/gal = 26.5 mg/gal eg 7ppm chlorine

5% chlorine = 50 mg chlorine/mL

20 "drops" ~= 1-mL so for 1-mL 5% chlorine..... 50 mg chlorine/mL X 1-mL/20 drops = 2.5 mg chlorine/drop

26.5 mg chlorine/ (2.5mg chlorine/drop) = 10.6 drops eg of 5% chlorine bleach added to 1-gal water to give 7ppm chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Chiefster,

The solid is calcium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite (solid) is unstable....perchlorates are worse, they explode!

.........at the hardware store, I picked up some 13.3 oz, 52% chlorine HTH, pool shock packets today.....

So in a roundabout way........

# grams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine mg/L x # gallons to be treated gal x 3.785 L/gal)/1,000 mg/g x %chlorine in HTH solid/100%

or

# grams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine g/L X liters to be treated L )/ (% chlorine in HTH solid / 100%)

or

# milligrams calcium hypochlorite = (desired chlorine mg/mL X mL-liters to be treated mL )/ (% chlorine in HTH solid / 100%)

5% chlorine = 50,000mg/L = 50g/L = 50mg/mL

1 oz = 28.35 grams 1 gal = 3785 mL = 3.785 L

The 13.3 oz ,52% Chlorine, HTH pool shock bags give: 5.2 6.5 and 4.9 % chlorine diluted to 1-gal 3-L and 4-L , respectively. Easy to mix up a gallon or 3-4 liters of "bleach". Good disinfectant at ~5-6% chlorine

To treat water for drinking you want 7 ppm chlorine.

1ppm = 1mg/1000g 1mg/1000g X 1000g/L = 1mg/L 7 X 1 mg/L X 3.785L/gal = 26.5 mg/gal eg 7ppm chlorine

5% chlorine = 50 mg chlorine/mL

20 "drops" ~= 1-mL so for 1-mL 5% chlorine..... 50 mg chlorine/mL X 1-mL/20 drops = 2.5 mg chlorine/drop

26.5 mg chlorine/ (2.5mg chlorine/drop) = 10.6 drops eg of 5% chlorine bleach added to 1-gal water to give 7ppm chlorine
    thank you for the info trapper...
    and the headache....
    my melon hurts from processing all the chemistry and math...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDOC View Post
    thank you for the info trapper...
    and the headache....
    my melon hurts from processing all the chemistry and math...
    If you want to stretch the pool shock supply to just treat water for drinking, get a good accurate balance/scale and some small volumetric glassware. ~1 gram of 50% chlorine pool shock will make up 10-mL of 5% chlorine solution, enough to do about 20-gal of water. Or you could weigh out 250mg portions that would treat 5-gal of water.

Some small plastic vials would be handy so you could have portions pre-weighed. Scribe the vials at a known volume then just add water to get 5% chlorine solutions.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 02-24-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    BamaDOC, Crunch and Renec like this.

Thank you for the correction Mad Trapper. The old brain ain’t what it used to be. My memory is getting terrible. One of the side effects of getting old!
    Mad Trapper and BamaDOC like this.

Science(!) for the win Mad Trapper, great post.

A couple simple solutions for disinfecting skin (not eyes and not for potable water) and surfaces, using the 68-73% calcium hypochlorite (pool shock variety):

0.25 teaspoon (2.8 grams) HTH/Calcium Hypochlorite/pool shock in 1 gallon of water = ~500 ppm chlorine solution
    2.5 teaspoons (28 grams) HTH/Calcium Hypochlorite/pool shock in 1 gallon of water = ~5,000 ppm chlorine solution

500 ppm solution for hand hygiene/skin decontamination (short term, will damage skin if used continually), and 5,000 ppm for counter tops, door knobs, toilets, floors, etc.

Stolen from these docs (with just liter to gallon conversion):
    https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/clinic...orine-use.html
    https://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Res..._Solutions.pdf
    Mad Trapper and A Watchman like this.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links