How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America? - Page 11
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America?

This is a discussion on How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Not seriously enough--- We ain't seen anything yet--- Does anyone believe the info from China???...

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree572Likes

Thread: How Seriously Are Fellow Preppers Taking This Coronavirus in North America?

Not seriously enough---
    We ain't seen anything yet---

Does anyone believe the info from China???
    Slippy and BamaDOC like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tango2X View Post
    Not seriously enough---
    We ain't seen anything yet---

Does anyone believe the info from China???
    I take seriously that they’ve quarantined over 50 million people. That the markets are taking it seriously is something I consider worth noting.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Obviously you must atke it seriosly, but what weight do you place on it. Any prepper worth their salt should have triggers thought out. I have triggers that tell me when to take action based on a set of circumstances. Their are very few things that don't give you some warning. The only one that pops into mind is an asteroid that pops out of nowhere and lands on me or close enough to kill me in minutes. Since I don't go to movie theaters, or gatherings of hundreds of people I have less to worry about, AT PRESENT. I am a home body and not what I would call wealthy enough to have a lot of disposable income to spend on vacations, or cruises (a giant metal petri dish surrounded by water with no easy way out). I haven't even flown in about 4 years, and don't put my self into situations that lead to crowding. That said, I watch the news and my plans made and will follow my triggers. Since I am retired, I have the time to watch and analyze. I really feel sorry for those who have to work and work in places that get crowded.
    Denton, Inor and Renec like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Corona virus is no more deadly than the flu.
    hawgrider, Slippy and Inor like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Corona virus is no more deadly than the flu.
    Ok. Then please explain to me why China quarantined so many millions? Why did they shut down their factories throwing a monkey wrench into their carefully crafted schedule for world domination? Why are they keeping our CDC people out? China is hell bent on pushing us out of first place both militarily and economically. So why are they sacrificing an estimated 5% of their GDP on this quarantine? Sounds like it’s pretty serious to me, at least over there. Maybe not here, yet! And then again, just maybe we might have a few thousand cases here too in a month or two.

I’m not panicked, but I am making careful plans and thinking out trigger points. If nothing happens, great. If the flu comes here, I will be better situated than most. And I’m not really spending much money on anything that I wouldn’t ordinarily consume. Just maybe stockpiling some items a little sooner that I would ordinarily purchase them.
    Denton and BamaDOC like this.

update 2/20

some interesting new developments learned over the last few weeks

1 China's transparency is questionable. They have spent more time doing fluff pieces, and propaganda than giving up valuable data. The govt has heavily censored news , imprisoned critics, and expelled foreign journalists. about 2 weeks ago , all news coming out of china was heavily monitored and censored. Now the numbers they report dont really match with what is being reported from journalists there.

2 the mortality from the virus is varied. with treatment in the outside provinces the mortality appears to be very low. however in the elderly, and in hubei, the mortality is significantly higher 10-50x than outside the epicenter.
    this is likely due to a combination of factors.
    china seems to have focused efforts in hubei of containment and quarantine ... not cure/treatment (think cut off an infected limb to save the patient). outside of that province resources are better.

in hubei - resources are scarce, health care workers are overwhelmed, and in the early stages ~ 1/3 of all health care workers were sickened by the coronavirus, further straining care delivery.

as viruses mutate - there may be strains which are more lethal,... or less lethal... there may be a more virulent strain in the hubei province compared to globally...

3 the virus is extremely contagious... think common cold... a single cruise line passenger sickened >600 other passengers.. taxi drivers catching it from transporting cruise passengers on short car rides.. 100 church members in korea from a single parishioner... a german business trip sickened several other businesspeople from a single visit.

what does this mean...
    dont expect china to contain the virus.
    japan, and south korea is an example of how fast the virus can spread from only one or two contacts.

with multiple nations now developing as epicenters... and the virus being transmitted in assymptomatic people (equally transmitable/ contagious in symptomatic and assymptomatic people)... there is no way to screen our borders.

based on the timing of transmission.. incubation times... favorable weather conditions (cold season)

1 panic has hit hong kong, singapore, korea, and japan weeks after outbreaks. stores have sold out of hand sanitizer , toilet paper (???? go figure???), food, medicine, masks, and disinfectants and cleaning products.

2 ask how much laundry, and disinfectants do I have ?

3 how would you quarantine a loved one in your house ? can you make a negative pressure room and disconnect that rooms air supply from the ventillation system.

4 after coming into your house from outside and mingling with others... how would you disinfect your phone, keys, bag etc... (70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle is cheap and nontoxic)

5 the symptoms are fever, cough, breathing issues, and diarrhea / vomiting ... pepto bismo, anti pyretics (ibuprofen and acetominophen) cough drops and sprays, honey? chicken soup, are good to stock up on.

6. there are UV lamps sold on amazon and google .. which kill airborne viruses.. they emit ultraviolet c light. they can decontaminate airborne viruses in a quarantine room in 30 mins... if you need to clean it.. change linens... deliver food... they're sold for dust mite decon etc... just make sure you leave the room when you turn them on...

7 this sounds gross... but people with these diseases get sick from dehydration, they cant keep stuff down... or keep it in... if you dont have access to bags of intravenous fluid bags, and ivs... enemas are an easy and cheap way to hydrate ... even if they sound gross it may be the only way to prevent someone from going into shock from dehydration.... if the medical establishment is overwhelmed by patients we may have to provide care for loved ones.

The Good Cop

BamaDOC and Prepared One like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Good info @BamaDOC

Meanwhile, you are left unprotected from thugs since your wife will not allow any defense firearms in your home...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDOC View Post
    update 2/20

some interesting new developments learned over the last few weeks

1 China's transparency is questionable. They have spent more time doing fluff pieces, and propaganda than giving up valuable data. The govt has heavily censored news , imprisoned critics, and expelled foreign journalists. about 2 weeks ago , all news coming out of china was heavily monitored and censored. Now the numbers they report dont really match with what is being reported from journalists there.

2 the mortality from the virus is varied. with treatment in the outside provinces the mortality appears to be very low. however in the elderly, and in hubei, the mortality is significantly higher 10-50x than outside the epicenter.
    this is likely due to a combination of factors.
    china seems to have focused efforts in hubei of containment and quarantine ... not cure/treatment (think cut off an infected limb to save the patient). outside of that province resources are better.

in hubei - resources are scarce, health care workers are overwhelmed, and in the early stages ~ 1/3 of all health care workers were sickened by the coronavirus, further straining care delivery.

as viruses mutate - there may be strains which are more lethal,... or less lethal... there may be a more virulent strain in the hubei province compared to globally...

3 the virus is extremely contagious... think common cold... a single cruise line passenger sickened >600 other passengers.. taxi drivers catching it from transporting cruise passengers on short car rides.. 100 church members in korea from a single parishioner... a german business trip sickened several other businesspeople from a single visit.

what does this mean...
    dont expect china to contain the virus.
    japan, and south korea is an example of how fast the virus can spread from only one or two contacts.

with multiple nations now developing as epicenters... and the virus being transmitted in assymptomatic people (equally transmitable/ contagious in symptomatic and assymptomatic people)... there is no way to screen our borders.

based on the timing of transmission.. incubation times... favorable weather conditions (cold season)

1 panic has hit hong kong, singapore, korea, and japan weeks after outbreaks. stores have sold out of hand sanitizer , toilet paper (???? go figure???), food, medicine, masks, and disinfectants and cleaning products.

2 ask how much laundry, and disinfectants do I have ?

3 how would you quarantine a loved one in your house ? can you make a negative pressure room and disconnect that rooms air supply from the ventillation system.

4 after coming into your house from outside and mingling with others... how would you disinfect your phone, keys, bag etc... (70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle is cheap and nontoxic)

5 the symptoms are fever, cough, breathing issues, and diarrhea / vomiting ... pepto bismo, anti pyretics (ibuprofen and acetominophen) cough drops and sprays, honey? chicken soup, are good to stock up on.

6. there are UV lamps sold on amazon and google .. which kill airborne viruses.. they emit ultraviolet c light. they can decontaminate airborne viruses in a quarantine room in 30 mins... if you need to clean it.. change linens... deliver food... they're sold for dust mite decon etc... just make sure you leave the room when you turn them on...

7 this sounds gross... but people with these diseases get sick from dehydration, they cant keep stuff down... or keep it in... if you dont have access to bags of intravenous fluid bags, and ivs... enemas are an easy and cheap way to hydrate ... even if they sound gross it may be the only way to prevent someone from going into shock from dehydration.... if the medical establishment is overwhelmed by patients we may have to provide care for loved ones.
    BamaDOC and Renec like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDOC View Post
    update 2/20
    @BamaDOC

If you want, I know some experts in your area that can give you and your wife some training on defense firearms. PM me or I can start a thread to help you out.

Slippy

thank you slippy

Im actually going to the range next week..

luckily I have a lot of great friends and neighbors who love the 2nd ammendment!!!

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links