Hobby Fish tanks
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hobby Fish tanks

This is a discussion on Hobby Fish tanks within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Most of my life when I could I have had Fish tanks from small to 150 gallon ones fresh and salt water. Just like them. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hobby Fish tanks

Hobby Fish tanks

Most of my life when I could I have had Fish tanks from small to 150 gallon ones fresh and salt water. Just like them. For some time I have been down sized to one 25 gallon tank. Wife and granddaughter wanted more fish , I told if they want more they need a bigger tank. This is how it works here. Mother in law loves her fish she has a 10 gallon tank that is hard to keep up. We went to look for some new fish yesterday and came home with a complete 55 gallon system, with modern LED lights. Payton and I with wife help set the new one up and took the 25 gallon down. Now Mother in law is getting a nice complete 25 gallon setup . Not done yet but getting there. I like the LED lights in this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hobby Fish tanks-20200125_133837-1-.jpg  

SGG, Slippy, Elvis and 4 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    I had a 50 gal for several years with a under gravel filter system.
    Enjoyable but quite a bit of work. Always relaxing to watch the fish.
    Denton and Sasquatch like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I had a 50 gal for several years with a under gravel filter system.
    Enjoyable but quite a bit of work. Always relaxing to watch the fish.
    At one time under gravel was the rage. Now the pump type that draw water filter and dump it back with replacement filters are what most use. The out of the tank ones are great for big tanks. The new one has a double Bio wheel. It will also allow you to put a total of 4 filters in at once. The magnetic impeller type pumps are great they use less power , pump a lot of water and can last many years. I had one in the 25 gallon tank that was almost 20 years old. Once you get them setup right most often once a month quick clean swap filter and done.
    The last timer I had the 150 up we reinforced the floor under it just to be sure it would hold.
    Looking at that picture I remembered there is picture I had better hang back up or my wife will not be happy.
    Payton gets to pick what ever she wants in the tank .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hobby Fish tanks-20200125_171011-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Smitty901; 01-25-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    hawgrider, Sasquatch and Denton like this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Straightened the pic up for you @Smitty901 , tell Payton Hey! from me and Mrs Slippy!

Name:  20200125_133837[1] (2).jpg
Views: 21
Size:  88.1 KB
    Sasquatch and Denton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Straightened the pic up for you @Smitty901 , tell Payton Hey! from me and Mrs Slippy!

Name:  20200125_133837[1] (2).jpg
Views: 21
Size:  88.1 KB
    Sure will. thanks not sure why it flipped.
    Sasquatch and Denton like this.

Super Moderator

Now you're talking my language! I currently have 5 tanks going (one is actually a small pond). I do planted tanks though because they help keep the tank clean (basically it's own ecosystem).

The big problem is now I have to break them all down and set them up in the new house.

I have the small pond
    40g breeder
    15g paludarium
    5g shrimp tank
    5g beta tank on my desk at work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Now you're talking my language! I currently have 5 tanks going (one is actually a small pond). I do planted tanks though because they help keep the tank clean (basically it's own ecosystem).

The big problem is now I have to break them all down and set them up in the new house.

I have the small pond
    40g breeder
    15g paludarium
    5g shrimp tank
    5g beta tank on my desk at work

Lot of work , but also a good time to think about changes to what you have . I am sure Payton's tank will be underwater cartoon look.

I did fish tanks for years. I even had some Piranhas at one time. Very cool fish. Anyways, I got tired of the upkeep and moving them is a major pain, (I moved around a lot when I was younger) so I sold the last of my tanks years ago.
    paraquack and Sasquatch like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I'm with you, Prepared One. I had 32 tanks at one time and raised fish for a few expensive shops.
    Even went so far as to put in a reverse osmosis system because the water got bad. But eventually
    I decided the work and cost didn't match the rewards. Sold my equipment off about 20+ years ago.
    But I really loved my angels.
    Sasquatch and Prepared One like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    I'm with you, Prepared One. I had 32 tanks at one time and raised fish for a few expensive shops.
    Even went so far as to put in a reverse osmosis system because the water got bad. But eventually
    I decided the work and cost didn't match the rewards. Sold my equipment off about 20+ years ago.
    But I really loved my angels.
    It is addicting. I kept wanting more tanks but I realized it would take over my life and have kept it down to five. Now that I'm moving I think I'm going to have just four.

Prepared One likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links