The NASCAR Thread - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The NASCAR Thread

This is a discussion on The NASCAR Thread within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 NASCAR needs to go back to a driver and few of his friends building the car with what ever they can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The NASCAR Thread

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    NASCAR needs to go back to a driver and few of his friends building the car with what ever they can scrape up after the house bills are paid. I know won't happen. But growing up racing was a sport most could get into. Now rich company program.
    This still happens most every Saturday night throughout the country.
    My local track is a good Georgia clay half mile, and runs most every class from entry level 4 cylinders, to 358 cubic inch Late Models that will cover the half mile in 18 seconds.
    www.wayxspeedway.com Waycross, Georgia. This used to be a NASCAR sanctioned track, but the owners decided the monetary cost wasn't worth it.

Another local track that alternates Saturdays with Waycross is Golden Isles Speedway, outside Brunswick, Georgia. They always tie in one big event with Speedweeks down in Daytona, and in the past big time drivers, such as Bill Elliot and Harry Gant have come up to race with the local boys.
    Home - Golden Isles Speedway This is a very fast 5/8 mile track that draws cars from nationwide series such as Lucas Oil Late Models.

As far as NASCAR, since all I have is antenna, I can watch more than 50% of the first half of the season on Fox, but the second half on NBC sucks if you don't have satelite or cable.
    MountainGirl, Slippy and Inor like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

My sister loves NASCAR I confess that I don't understand the appeal. Despite her best efforts to convert me.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    My sister loves NASCAR I confess that I don't understand the appeal. Despite her best efforts to convert me.
    I like the last 6 laps and the wreck replays.
    paulag1955 and Slippy like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I agree, but that takes the leaps ahead in automotive ingenuity out of the game and forces a slow evolution over time. I think they are enhancing the driver/crew aspect but retarding the ingenuity and design parts.
    The ingenuity that was used in the "old days" has been choked right out in NASCAR's attempt to make racing "more exciting" by having the cars pretty much running together, and the crew chiefs struggling to find an extra one tenth of a second on the lap times.

I have been watching almost as long as it has been televised. Back when Banjo Mathews built the best chassis. Different tracks used "front steer" or "back steer", regarding the position of the tie rods and drag link - either in front of the axle or behind. That is the type of thinking that has been done away with by rules.

Speaking of rules, there is a reason behind every one of them - a crew chief found some speed that wasn't covered by a rule, so of course a rule had to be created.
    Just one example is the Chevelles run by Smokey Yunick of Daytona Beach. Smokey had a garage, "The Best Damned Garage In Town" where he used his engineering genius to exploit every gray area that did not have a rule against it. This reached a culmination with his now famous 1967 Chevelle. Read the linked article to see what a forward thinking person can do with a car.
    Oh, he was a survivor of 50 bombing missions in WWII.
    The Infamous & Incredible 1967 Smokey Yunick Chevrolet Chevelle ? dailysportscar.com
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-16-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I like the last 6 laps and the wreck replays.
    I like the local demolition derbies and the figure 8 races. Not NASCAR, I know, but fun.
    Slippy and MountainGirl like this.

I never got into NASCAR. I used to go to the Stock Car races when I was younger. Loved being right up on the track on those old dirt tracks. Dirt flying, noise, crashes. I never much cared who won. That was fun.
    Slippy, MountainGirl and Inor like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    This still happens most every Saturday night throughout the country.
    My local track is a good Georgia clay half mile, and runs most every class from entry level 4 cylinders, to 358 cubic inch Late Models that will cover the half mile in 18 seconds.
    www.wayxspeedway.com Waycross, Georgia. This used to be a NASCAR sanctioned track, but the owners decided the monetary cost wasn't worth it.

Another local track that alternates Saturdays with Waycross is Golden Isles Speedway, outside Brunswick, Georgia. They always tie in one big event with Speedweeks down in Daytona, and in the past big time drivers, such as Bill Elliot and Harry Gant have come up to race with the local boys.
    Home - Golden Isles Speedway This is a very fast 5/8 mile track that draws cars from nationwide series such as Lucas Oil Late Models.

As far as NASCAR, since all I have is antenna, I can watch more than 50% of the first half of the season on Fox, but the second half on NBC sucks if you don't have satelite or cable.
    One of the best races of the year is the NASCAR Truck Series Dirt Derby held annually at Tony Stewarts track Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, OH.
    https://www.eldoraspeedway.com/

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    One of the best races of the year is the NASCAR Truck Series Dirt Derby held annually at Tony Stewarts track Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, OH.
    https://www.eldoraspeedway.com/
    Back in the days of Speed TV and me having a satelite dish, I used to watch the World Of Outlaws sprint car races every week, and Eldora always had a huge multi-day event each year.

Smoke was the last of the Old Style drivers, and when he retired, the joy of watching races was gone for me.

When Jimmy Johnson is gone, I probably won't watch any races.
    Well, maybe just to watch the 43 car.

People who are just tuning into NASCAR today have missed out on almost everything that made the sport what it is today.
    I occasionally watch a race from the early 90's on youtube.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-17-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links