Frozen chicken water update
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Frozen chicken water update within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well, as stated in other threads, I have been wanting a cheap fix for my chickens frozen water. Sunday I ran an extension cord through ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Frozen chicken water update

Well, as stated in other threads, I have been wanting a cheap fix for my chickens frozen water.
    Sunday I ran an extension cord through the door opening (jamb Side), and stapled it flat, so the door can still close, then plugged in a plumbing heat tape.
    27 Dollars for the heat tape, 5 Dollars for the roll of metallic electrical tape that I wrapped the water tube with.
    I have to remove the "red chicken cup" off the tube, and seal that hole, then drill another one about an inch away, as taking it on and off has stripped the threads inside the PVC pipe. No big deal, I just didn't have any epoxy or anything to reseal that bad hole with yesterday.
    I will try to get some pics, of this 35 dollar heat contraption.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

That sounds a lot more economical than a solar set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Well, as stated in other threads, I have been wanting a cheap fix for my chickens frozen water.
    Sunday I ran an extension cord through the door opening (jamb Side), and stapled it flat, so the door can still close, then plugged in a plumbing heat tape.
    27 Dollars for the heat tape, 5 Dollars for the roll of metallic electrical tape that I wrapped the water tube with.
    I have to remove the "red chicken cup" off the tube, and seal that hole, then drill another one about an inch away, as taking it on and off has stripped the threads inside the PVC pipe. No big deal, I just didn't have any epoxy or anything to reseal that bad hole with yesterday.
    I will try to get some pics, of this 35 dollar heat contraption.
    Would definitely be interested in seeing your set up. We are battling frozen chicken water too. Seems like the hardest thing with the chickens is keeping them in water. It either freezes or they dump it over. We have tried the waterers but constantly fight them leaking the water out of they aren't perfectly flat. We previously had a heated dog bowl that we could plug in but have since moved and the new coop is nowhere near a plug now.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Makes me want to rethink getting chickens!
    paulag1955 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Makes me want to rethink getting chickens!
    But I want them soooooo bad. And goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Would definitely be interested in seeing your set up. We are battling frozen chicken water too. Seems like the hardest thing with the chickens is keeping them in water. It either freezes or they dump it over. We have tried the waterers but constantly fight them leaking the water out of they aren't perfectly flat. We previously had a heated dog bowl that we could plug in but have since moved and the new coop is nowhere near a plug now.
    Awesome guys and Gals, I will do it soon, hopefully tonight. And, yes, I will unplug the damn thing on good days, but this morning it was nice to just add their water and not have to do anything.
    It went well, with all the blueberry they got, from the freezer. (needed freezer room, thawed out several bags of free BB, but never got made into the syrup)
    Green Lilly likes this.

This is pretty much exactly what I have now, except i used glue on fittings, and let it air dry for a day or two. I will still get some pics or even a video of the heat tape wrapped on it. Oh, and I paint mine black, to help soak up the suns warmth.
    The cups are available on Amazon, I need to get another set, and there are 90 and 45 sets, so figure out how you wanna "hold the tube against the coop".
    Green Lilly likes this.

Using the metal waters with the heater that sits under them like a hot plate seems to work pretty darn good simple last for years
    hawgrider likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Some unfaced fiberglass insulation might help keep the heat in. I can't remember what Dad and Mom did when I was a kid, they had a good sized coop and sold eggs.

I do miss those eggs Mom cooked every morning. The chickens could free range and their yolks were almost orange, not like pale yellow store brought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Some unfaced fiberglass insulation might help keep the heat in. I can't remember what Dad and Mom did when I was a kid, they had a good sized coop and sold eggs.

I do miss those eggs Mom cooked every morning. The chickens could free range and their yolks were almost orange, not like pale yellow store brought.
    True, but I HATE fiberglass, I can walk by it and itch.
    Yes, my girls have very pretty yolks. and the taste is superb, fried in bacon grease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links