Snow is coming - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Snow is coming

This is a discussion on Snow is coming within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by paulag1955 My one ice fishing experience was so weird. The lake had frozen, then it snowed. Then the snow on top of ...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Snow is coming

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    My one ice fishing experience was so weird. The lake had frozen, then it snowed. Then the snow on top of the ice melted, then that froze. so there was a layer of ice about 1.5 inches thick, water (not sure how deep), then a thick layer of ice. I only weighed about a hundred pounds at the time so I was fine, but the guys I was with broke through that top layer of ice a few times. It was kind of terrifying the first time.
    Be careful on ice. Carry a spud and check ice often. Streams, springs, currents can change 6" to 1" in a foot or two.

Also, some people cut dugouts to keep fish in. Only time I ever fell in was on 18" of solid ice, in 30' of water. It had snowed the night before, and the dugout was unnoticed. My spud saved me from going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    I work in Bothell, close to the 405...It was snowing Thursday at home and raining in Bothell...the snow should hit hard Monday through the week! We can't wait!

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Are you originally from somewhere else? Don't hear many natives refer to "the 405."

Not looking forward to clearing the snow from the solar panels tomorrow, but kind of hoping we get the full "up to a foot" they're calling for tonight, it'll mean the first good snowmobile ride of the season.
    MountainGirl and Smitty901 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Are you originally from somewhere else? Don't hear many natives refer to "the 405."
    Haha! Ya got me! Originally from NYC, then more recently, San Diego..going on 5 years in July in the PNW...

Peace,
    Michael J.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    Haha! Ya got me! Originally from NYC, then more recently, San Diego..going on 5 years in July in the PNW...

Peace,
    Michael J.
    I used to use that trick on people all the time.

Me: When did you move here from California?
    Them: Wait, what? How did you know that I'm from California?
    Me: Get thee behind me, Satan!
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Not looking forward to clearing the snow from the solar panels tomorrow, but kind of hoping we get the full "up to a foot" they're calling for tonight, it'll mean the first good snowmobile ride of the season.
    Tom (my husband) is out riding his now, his season first too!
    BRAAAAP!
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I allow the trail to run across my land. I do wish them luck with enough snow to at least get some riding in.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Be careful on ice. Carry a spud and check ice often. Streams, springs, currents can change 6" to 1" in a foot or two.

Also, some people cut dugouts to keep fish in. Only time I ever fell in was on 18" of solid ice, in 30' of water. It had snowed the night before, and the dugout was unnoticed. My spud saved me from going through.
    Yeah, it's not something I would ever do again unless forced. I only went that one time because a guy I liked was going. Most lakes in Washington don't freeze over enough for ice fishing.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    We never had much of those vermin here. Ticks just got here 30 years ago, never seen one as a child. We have a few timber rattlers, and bears. Black flies and sketters are bad. Roaches are a city thing.
    We have fire ants as well. These little SOB's will make you wish you were dead.
    When you accidentally step on their mound, they won't bite until a number of them are on you, and then, look out!!
    There is a VERY good reason they are called Fire Ants.

https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn-and-g...nts-in-florida

I believe Texas may have them as we..
    Marica and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    After my training, the Army sent me to Fort Carson, Colorado. Literally in the shadow of Pikes Peak.
    Strange as it may sound, out there it gets below zero in the winter. Way below zero. And it snows, too. Sometimes 2 or 3 feet in a 36 hour period (3 feet in 36 hours was the threshold to call off field maneuvers).
    Living in a tent at -20 would be brutal, for sure. I can appreciate that. Do you remember using outdoor wood stoves? I want one.

Going to the field for a week at a time, sleeping in canvas tents, crapping in a straddle trench at minus 20 with the wind blowing, was enough for this Florida Boy to volunteer for Vietnam.
    THAT is how much I dislike cold weather.
    You 'went from the proverbial frying pan into the fire'.

I'll take weird bugs, gators, snakes, black bears, 3" long cockroaches, and all that other stuff ANY DAY.
    Ah, well as they also say, 'to each his own'.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links