Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Snow is coming

12K views 164 replies 21 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
We have not had winter in this part of Wisconsin this year. Not overly cold for very long at a time and what little snow that has fallen melted away quickly. Tonight a few inches of ice and snow mix on the way followed by mid to later tomorrow 8-13 inches of snow. Normal year that would not be a real major event. This year it maybe a mess. Finally put the snow plow on the ATV gassed it up today. Moved a few things out of the way. Fired up generators , they run.
Wood on trailer close to the house if needed. Plenty of coffee we are ready.

#113 ·
We did get about 2 inches of snow over night. Still not a big deal here.

#124 ·
Ride to school this morning was 8 degrees F. The up side when it gets that cold often holds off the snow.

Reactions: Michael_Js
#125 ·
Woke up to 1 below 0 this morning. Now that is cold anywhere. But no snow

#127 ·
Last spring I purchased a new subcompact tractor with a front bucket. Part of the plan was to use it for clearing snow. I even sold my old snowblower. I’m still waiting for snow........
Waiting!.......... We’ve gotten a few dustings and maybe 2 inches once but nothing I could use the tractor on. Don’t get me wrong. I’m all in favor of “no snow”, but it sure would be fun to play with that tractor a time or two. The wife is gloating, “See! See! I told you that you didn’t need to buy that tractor!”

#128 ·
Last spring I purchased a new subcompact tractor with a front bucket. Part of the plan was to use it for clearing snow. I even sold my old snowblower. I'm still waiting for snow........
Waiting!.......... We've gotten a few dustings and maybe 2 inches once but nothing I could use the tractor on. Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of "no snow", but it sure would be fun to play with that tractor a time or two. The wife is gloating, "See! See! I told you that you didn't need to buy that tractor!"
I appreciate the sentiment, Chief. A varient on all dressed up and no place to go.

#133 · (Edited)
Warming up a bit . Now they are calling for Snow from 1800 today to 1000 Saturday. Could be up to 9 inches.

Edit: It started snow here right on time

#134 ·
After light snow most of the nigh and still coming , it adds up. We are white in all directions now.

#135 ·
I'm in the same boat. And because we're on a tertiary street, the city plow done plowed us in. We have a "guy" who handles the private driveways in my little subdivision, but no one is going anywhere until that "wall of snow" at the end of my driveway gets cleared.

The neighbor across the street had the right idea. He birthed his children in even years so he'll always have a kid to shovel snow. He figures he's got enough unskilled labor for 25 years...

#139 ·
Original forecast was 3 to 5 inches of snow. We got 1 to 2 inches of snow and sleet so far. Now it’s raining so this will all turn to solid ice tonight when the temperatures drops. Tomorrow morning is going to be quite interesting. I just cleared the end of the driveway from snowplow build up otherwise I would have a real headache tomorrow morning. Fun, fun, fun!

#147 ·
It was up to 30 degrees today. Now it is 13 degrees, 6 degrees by morning. The wind is hitting 20 mph. The change in temperature must have locked the snow down it is not blowing. For what ever reason Sheriff has not opened the snowmobile trails yet. Of course they can not spot you from riding on Private land with owners permission.

Reactions: MountainGirl
#150 ·
You are not correct Sheriff is the one that decides if condition allow them to be used. One word from the Sheriff and they are closed or open to public use. They trial has run across my property for 40 years now.

#154 · (Edited)
We have a good covering of snow. 1 below this morning up to 13 degrees now.
Winter has shown up. We do need some of the cold to kill off pest

Reactions: Michael_Js
#158 ·
Plowed some of the snow, more coming the end of the week figure may as well push some of it back. Should have rode over and got one of the CamAm's . Polaris is a peace junk. At best it works. Some.

#164 · (Edited)
Pretty sure they are all set up similar statewide. Based on the number of clubs statewide and having been to the state snowmobile conventions. All the adjoining counties are like ours that I've worked with.

There wouldn't be a trail if all the volunteers that worked on the system had to answer to the Sheriff. Love to see LE going around trying to get easements from landowners, maybe use their squads. Suppose there could be a LE only club.

GO PACKERS

#165 ·
Plowing snow can be fun on the ATV. When it is cold enough the snow does not melt but not so cold you really suffer. Everything working as it should. Decide to get out an plow some of it with more coming the end of the week.

Reactions: SGG
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.