Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Snow is coming

12K views 164 replies 21 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
We have not had winter in this part of Wisconsin this year. Not overly cold for very long at a time and what little snow that has fallen melted away quickly. Tonight a few inches of ice and snow mix on the way followed by mid to later tomorrow 8-13 inches of snow. Normal year that would not be a real major event. This year it maybe a mess. Finally put the snow plow on the ATV gassed it up today. Moved a few things out of the way. Fired up generators , they run.
Wood on trailer close to the house if needed. Plenty of coffee we are ready.

#49 ·
20 MPH wind I guess it would not make sense to zero the scope mounted on the RP rimfire today.

#54 ·
Wisconsin can be amazing in the winter. Sun angle makes of clear bright days. It maybe 10 below out but the clean white snow the trees and the light a sight to see . But if you must get things done in it it can get ugly.

#74 ·
They changed the forecast again. Call for snow for the next hour now. Light to medium 1 to 4 inches. It is what it is. I did have a little dog that got lost in a power snowbank . Dug her out.

#83 ·
@Paula We were in Washington a couple of years ago. My first time. Two thoughts. 1) It's beautiful beyond compare. Spent a couple of days in Westport, which, when correcting for accent and local seafood choice, was pretty much like being on the Gulf Coast. SiL's folks, who hail from the Deep South and had recently moved to Bellevue, took us on a day-long expedition. So two southern couples eating, drinking, and enjoying. Whidbey Island was a delight. 2) First time in my life I'd ever been revolted by another human being. Seattle is disgusting.

#84 ·
I haven't been into Seattle in years. For one thing, I'm sure it's even more disgusting now than it was when you were here. It's heartbreaking because before the leftists ruined it, it was such a beautiful city. Second, I refuse to spend money there. I don't want to contribute my sales tax to whatever harebrained scheme they think up next as a way to screw the people. Third, if you didn't go anywhere east of the Cascades, you need to get back here because you will not believe what a difference a li'l ol' mountain range makes. Completely different from Western Washington in everyway...climate, geology and culture.

#88 ·
Snow stopped for now. Temps dropped to 15 degrees. Wind slowed down to 6 mph

#91 · (Edited)
As of now, it was in the high 60's low 70's yesterday, and 63 right now.

All of the snow and better, all of the ice is gone,

parking lot for 8 cars was a skating rink.

We will get more snow in greater amounts in Feb and Mar for sure.

None of it will compare to the blizzard of 1978,

five feet of snow with drifts over 12 feet.

Our cars were buried under a drift that came across the lake and covered

everything including the top of the house roof.

Could not open the front door, even if we could there was 30 feet that a tunnel

would have to be dug in to reach the road.

It took a D-8 to push the snow into the lake to clear the road off, that was

3 days after the storm ended.

Army national guard engineers did the job.

Power was out for almost two weeks if I remember correctly.

THAT storm was what really started my prepping moving,

including getting 4WD.

#92 ·
The ride over to pick up Grandma and to church and back was easy. Some ice in spots but an easy trip.

#97 ·
1978 storm friend near here kept his tavern open all night served free food. Few of us with large farm tractors went up on the state road 16 and got people out of their cars and took them there. It was new years and there were a lot of people on the road. Most in the ditch.
The next day we pulled some out LE turned a blind eye to it. We used out own equipment to open the back roads so trucks could get in for farmers milk.

#101 ·
When the weather forecast calls for a big storm and it does not happen , my wife goes Nuts. She is still yell where is the storm 13 inches of snow looks more like 2 to me. It seems the front took a slightly southern dip and gave us some major relief. I was not concerned about it , but would rather deal with 2 inches than 13.

Reactions: SOCOM42
#103 ·
Reactions: MountainGirl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.