My dog loves me - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My dog loves me

This is a discussion on My dog loves me within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Slippy Our Border Collie was one of the best memories that we have as a family. But she was not easy! Our ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: My dog loves me

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Our Border Collie was one of the best memories that we have as a family. But she was not easy!

Our sons were young teens and pre-teens, filled with energy when we got her and I was working out of our home and had time to train her. I was also still running or walking distances for exercise as well as doing other things that the dog could accompany me. Having a large lot or land is a must as well. Or sheep

I am often asked about Border Collies and I tell most people NOT to get a Border Collie unless you are ready to invest a lot of time and energy into the dog. Otherwise, it will not end well. If I ever hear of a young millennial getting a Border Collie while they live in a small apartment and go to school or work 8 or so hours a day, I will personally hunt them down and pop them on the head, take the dog and find a suitable owner.

By the way, Millie's nickname was "Crazy Dog"...
    Having German Shepherds isn't easy either. When Shasta was a puppy, in the worst of her puppy biting stage, she used to make me cry because I couldn't get her to stop biting at my feet, ankles and pants. It was awful. Then one day, it just switched off. I wouldn't trade her for anything now. "Don't get one" is good advice for all the working breeds if a person doesn't have time to devote to them or a job for them to do.

Thor's nickname is "You Little Shit." Pretty sure he thought that was his real name for months.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Fixed it for you Smitty! Definetly welcome at Slippy Lodge! Love them dogs!
    Attachment 102311

So does the dog pull lookout duty with the rifle while he's out working on the trailer? Good dog!
    Slippy and paraquack like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content

The Good Cop

I have had dogs for about 50 years now.
    30 years ago, I married a "dog woman" who had two when we got hitched.

Since then we have rescued dogs from the pound (two on the very day they were to be put down), from the side of the road (we call 'em Ditch Dogs), and sadly, when evil people dump their dogs out here in the country.

We have had as many as 8 at one time, right now we have 4. A Black Lab, a Chocolate Lab, a black long haired mix of undetermined type, and a Border Collie/hound mix.

My wife had done some volunteer work at our county animal shelter which included interaction with the very large, nearby, Jacksonville animal pound. One day she got a call from one of the ladies down there who was desperate. She was frantic about this one who was to be euthanized that very day. Could we help? Would we at least look at the dog?
    She brought the dog, in her own car, to meet us at Tractor Supply.
    This dog, a female Border Collie/hound mix, had been deemed "unadoptable" because of her personality.
    Of course, she went home with us. Poor girl had been abused and was traumatized, most likely by a man because she was deathly afraid of me.
    It took about 6 months of patient work on my part before she would allow me to just touch her. Now, 5 years later, she is daddy's dog. She gets so excited when I come home she actually sings. I have had dogs glad to see me before, but NOTHING like this.

And like @Slippy , this dog is crazy, too.
    I do not know what the "other" mix in her is, but she has an unstoppable prey drive. Once she gets in her zone she becomes too focused on killing to even hear me, let alone stop.
    Armadillos, fox, rabbits, feral cats - ANY animal that does not belong on her territory is killed. Sad, in a way, but that's the way she's programmed.

No pictures here, simply because I'm too computer illiterate to do it, but those who are my Face Book friends can see them in my photos there. Along with our rescue horses.

ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!!! DOGS ARE DYING FOR A SECOND CHANCE!!
    Annie, Inor, T-Man 1066 and 5 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
    So does the dog pull lookout duty with the rifle while he's out working on the trailer? Good dog!
    In a way he is the early warning system. His action will let you know it it time to say hello or grab the firearm. Sir Pretzel stick as his birth cert says was the name my grandson gave him. He is an Australian Cattle dog. Larger than the ones you commonly hear called blue healers. He weights in at a fit 70 lbs. They tend to bond to one person but will love the entire house .
    They are by nature a helper to people but if need be they can be dangerous to the wrong person. They seems to know when to just bark and be a warning system and when to eat.
    The he is comfortable around firearm. He is not a city Dog. He needs room, freedom and a place to mark out as his own and he will protect it. They are not for everyone. My last one was a Sheltie Healer and Australian cattle dog mix he was a sweet friend to have around and worked right up to the last day of his 17 year life.
    Inor, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

We have 4 right at the moment. These two idiots came from our fence builder last fall.

My dog loves me-img_20191012_102645574_hdr.jpg

They are Kelpie and Great Pyrenees and they definitely have the cattle sense of the Kelpie. The only problem is, I am afraid they are running all the weight off our steer chasing him around all day!

My dog loves me-img_20191118_155329723.jpg
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I define unconditional love the following way:

Open the trunks of two separate cars. Put your dog in one and your wife in the other, Close the trunks and walk away for a few hours, When you return open both trunks and see who is happy to see you< The one that is happy is expressing unconditional love,
    T-Man 1066, Slippy, Annie and 2 others like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    She gets so excited when I come home she actually sings. I have had dogs glad to see me before, but NOTHING like this.
    Our boy Thor is like this with my husband. Every night when "Daddy" comes home from work, it's like he's just come home from a one year deployment.
    Annie and paraquack like this.

@Inor

WHEN Mrs S and I finally come to visit, you better check Mrs S's side of the truck, I just showed her the pics of the "two idiots" and she squealed something unintelligable and sounded like a gaggle of 7th grade happy girls, so I suspect she would attempt to dog-nap those two dogs in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We have 4 right at the moment. These two idiots came from our fence builder last fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191012_102645574_HDR.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	824.9 KB 
ID:	102319

They are Kelpie and Great Pyrenees and they definitely have the cattle sense of the Kelpie. The only problem is, I am afraid they are running all the weight off our steer chasing him around all day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191118_155329723.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	980.8 KB 
ID:	102321
    Inor likes this.

Super Moderator

My shep mix doesn't play with strangers. He's mostly all bark but will go straight for the groin if he feels the stranger's a threat. All the while the little guy's will be just like, "meh, time for a nap."
    If you're not listening to "The Denton and Sasquatch Show", you're not on the team.

Cleo...7 years young.

My 3rd dog. I got her from the SPCA when she was 4 months old. Constant companion. Would rather be in the backseat of the pickup than any where else in the world.
    Smart as they come but just as stubborn.

My dog loves me-ma.jpgCleo at Susquehana River.jpg
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links