Secure cell service/servers overseas
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Secure cell service/servers overseas within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; With one son in Afghanistan and one in the Ukraine. This becomes a big issue. Step one was each purchase burner phones in the region ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By Inor
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42
  • 2 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Secure cell service/servers overseas

With one son in Afghanistan and one in the Ukraine. This becomes a big issue. Step one was each purchase burner phones in the region . The use of a VPN and then an encrypted messenger . The whatsup app is a joke google is in on that.
    We use signal and encrypt every message. I now use it for all messaging. online on cell phones the world and the local area are becoming a dangerous place. Have you give these things much thought ?
    Denton and Inor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Super Moderator

Much thought. I wouldn't say much thought. More like not enough thought.

You are very right.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    With one son in Afghanistan and one in the Ukraine. This becomes a big issue. Step one was each purchase burner phones in the region . The use of a VPN and then an encrypted messenger . The whatsup app is a joke google is in on that.
    We use signal and encrypt every message. I now use it for all messaging. online on cell phones the world and the local area are becoming a dangerous place. Have you give these things much thought ?
    Yes, yes and yes.

Understand your cell phone is an important source of information for Google/Apple and the government, not just when you are calling or messaging, but also when you are just carrying it around in your pocket. When I am traveling for business, my cell phone is with me constantly and usually turned on. I have NO expectation of ANY privacy when I am traveling! It is tracking everywhere I go, every conversation I have, on the phone or not, and every other single thing I am doing.

When I am at home, or traveling for pleasure, it is not anywhere near me. At home it spends all of its time on my workbench in my garage. When Mrs Inor and I go out of town for fun, we take one or both cell phones but keep the power turned off and SIM cards removed unless we need to use them. Even then, I do not trust them 100%, but it is more difficult for Google et al to capture our information.

I do not even trust a VPN or an encryption service as we both have Android phones. (Android is developed by Google.) They can intercept the message BEFORE it is sent to the encryption service or VPN and pass the unencrypted version along to the mothership.

@Smitty - You are about my age. Remember the 1980's movie War Games? Remember the takeaway line from that movie? "The only way to win at Nuclear War is not to play." It is *EXACTLY* the same for cell phones and all other digital communication.
    Denton and Smitty901 like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The cell phone I have is just that a phone with text capability that I don't use.

It is never on except when I leave kid at home.

Usage is about 2 minutes a month at best, mostly zero.

There only two numbers stored in it, it has no GPS or any other thingy.

For a lifetime I have not needed one or were they available in the form they are in today.

When operating full time in my shop, we had cell phones hard wired into each vehicle.

They were just that phones, nothing else.

What most do not know, is that all these encrypted phones and commercial band two way radios with encryption,

have to give the keys to the feds, or no license, they just don't tell anybody.

The data is collected from the links between towers and phones.

I was in an early wire line data collection terminal that went straight to the feds monitoring facility.

It collected from region #1 , northeast corridor. system used what was called a clipper chip in the mainframes.

That was back in the 80's.

A code that uses a single word for a complete sentence unrelated is the best way to go, example: pie= bring your gun.

This has to be done in advance though.
    Smitty901 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    The cell phone I have is just that a phone with text capability that I don't use.

It is never on except when I leave kid at home.

Usage is about 2 minutes a month at best, mostly zero.

There only two numbers stored in it, it has no GPS or any other thingy.

For a lifetime I have not needed one or were they available in the form they are in today.

When operating full time in my shop, we had cell phones hard wired into each vehicle.

They were just that phones, nothing else.

What most do not know, is that all these encrypted phones and commercial band two way radios with encryption,

have to give the keys to the feds, or no license, they just don't tell anybody.

The data is collected from the links between towers and phones.

I was in an early wire line data collection terminal that went straight to the feds monitoring facility.

It collected from region #1 , northeast corridor. system used what was called a clipper chip in the mainframes.

That was back in the 80's.

A code that uses a single word for a complete sentence unrelated is the best way to go, example: pie= bring your gun.

This has to be done in advance though.
    The last two lines need to be read by everyone.
    Marica and SOCOM42 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

This seems like a fine thread to post this link to one of the best explanations of why "we only collect metadata" is such BS. Here's the first paragraph.

Using Metadata to Find Paul Revere
    London, 1772.

I have been asked by my superiors to give a brief demonstration of the surprising effectiveness of even the simplest techniques of the new-fangled Social Networke Analysis in the pursuit of those who would seek to undermine the liberty enjoyed by His Majesty’s subjects. This is in connection with the discussion of the role of “metadata” in certain recent events and the assurances of various respectable parties that the government was merely “sifting through this so-called metadata” and that the “information acquired does not include the content of any communications”. I will show how we can use this “metadata” to find key persons involved in terrorist groups operating within the Colonies at the present time. I shall also endeavour to show how these methods work in what might be called a relational manner.
    [my emphasis]

Written by an underling in the service of King George, it is hilariously funny especially if you are familiar with the patriots' names which are somewhat uncommon.

And if you have even an inkling of familiarity with statistics it's ROFLMAO funny.

There is something called eigenvector centrality, which my friends in Natural Philosophy tell me is a bit of mathematics unlikely ever to have any practical application in the wider world.
    BUT!! When all is said and done-- the piece is very scary.

https://kieranhealy.org/blog/archive...d-paul-revere/

Sponsored Links