Let’s Talk About “Making Your Own Justice” - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Let’s Talk About “Making Your Own Justice”

This is a discussion on Let’s Talk About “Making Your Own Justice” within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; @ Jem - I've served on one jury. It was an obvious liar against State Farm. We live within a few miles of each other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Let’s Talk About “Making Your Own Justice”

Super Moderator

@Jem - I've served on one jury. It was an obvious liar against State Farm.
    We live within a few miles of each other so you'll understand when I say I'd rather be judged by the judge and not a jury.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I have been on two juries. one for rape and one for domestic abuse where where neither party spoke English. That was interesting. In my younger days I had the displeasure of being before a judge myself and I can say without a doubt that no matter if your on the outside looking in, or on the inside looking out, it is a process unlike any other. It can be both unsettling and fascinating at once. You would be surprised how much is taken for granted and how much is negotiated . If your thinking TV court room drama, think again.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Never been called up for jury duty. Figure my involvement with the law when I was younger has disqualified me for life.

Sign on my shop door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc02194.jpg  

Prepared One and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I didn't go into a lot of detail about the testimony. I figured it would drag down the story too much. To be clear - It was less about how the lady presented herself on the day of the trial than how the lady had lived. The choices she had already made. Her life was a litany of self inflicted failures and bad decisions. Her stains were too deep to be covered by anything short of the blood of Jesus.

The defense had quantifiable proof against her long-time dis-honesty and lack of credibility. As an example, the woman gave testimony to certain living circumstance that applications for government housing firmly contradicted. She bawled on the witness stand for a solid hour, yet never shed an actual tear (the defense confirmed that she had no medical diagnosis of "dry eye syndrome"). On and on. Victim or not, she was a bad person.

She testified that the defendant's parents "forced her to take a shower and washed her clothes" after the "rape". She didn't actually go to the hospital until her co-workers called an ambulance for her. (she was a CNA at a nursing home) After having a blood sample taken at the hospital, she knew she would be exposed for cocaine use. That's when the rape story first emerged - part of which was being "forced" to do cocaine.

EDIT: This woman had been in an ongoing relationship with the alleged rapist for months. Evidence of intercourse would likely not have been compelling. However, there were conditions of the rape described in testimony for which there most certainly ought have been medical evidence to support... and there was none.

I have no way of knowing what legal maneuvering was conducted prior to the trial, but a complete lack of medical reports and blood tests or ANY physical evidence by the prosecution was very sketchy to me as a juror.

In the army, we had a phrase - "Pop smoke and un-ass the AO". This woman was likely "popping smoke" She had done something bad, and in an attempt to avoid responsibility for that bad deed, she fabricated a rape-event to deflect blame for her own misdeed.
    Sounds ugly. There but for the grace of God is all I can honestly say. Thanks for sharing. And for sure: clean living keeps us out of trouble.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

While I would say our justice system is perhaps the best and most fair in the world, I would also suggest you stay out of it's gear wheels. It ain't perfect and innocent men go to jail all the time. Keep you and your house in order, and well below the radar.
    SGG likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The takeaway for me from this experience was that to have any hope of justice from our government's justice system we must keep our own homes tidy. Live clean godly lives. Be beyond reproach. Maintain credibility. Guard your integrity mercilessly. And when absolutely necessary, bury the bodies very, very deep.
    For whatever reason, this reminded me of Washington's Rules of Civility. There are 110 of them and some are very dated and sort of silly: Take no Salt or cut Bread with your Knife Greasy.

On the other hand, I'd say this one falls under Jem's advise: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior @ Foundations Magazine

The takeaway for me from this experience was that to have any hope of justice from our government's justice system we must keep our own homes tidy. Live clean godly lives. Be beyond reproach. Maintain credibility. Guard your integrity mercilessly. And when absolutely necessary, bury the bodies very, very deep.
    For whatever reason, this reminded me of Washington's Rules of Civility. There are 110 of them and some are very dated and sort of silly: Take no Salt or cut Bread with your Knife Greasy.

On the other hand, I'd say this one falls under Jem's advise: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior @ Foundations Magazine

San

The thread sort of diverged from my original intent.... My intent was not to bash the sorry state of society, though that's pretty much where I went. So Sorry.

I really just wanted to point out the benefits of clean living.

We've all heard the rhetoric about unequal justice for "poor people", and "disadvantaged people", etc.... In reality, boils down to unequal justice for people who have been stupid and made crappy decision after crappy decision.
    not necessarily. in my life, as a poor person, I've lost a substantial amount of money in stolen inheritance but had no funds to pay a lawyer to sue a trustee who walked away with pretty much everything. pro bono lawyers are not there for anything more complicated than cookie-cutter projects so there really is no justice for the poor. people can step all over you, just because they can, and you can't do much about it within the legal system. it burns to this day. it's so unfair and heartbreaking.

San

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    One cannot ignore the injustice for people who are just too poor to afford adequate counsel.
    thank you.

San

The thread sort of diverged from my original intent.... My intent was not to bash the sorry state of society, though that's pretty much where I went. So Sorry.

I really just wanted to point out the benefits of clean living.

We've all heard the rhetoric about unequal justice for "poor people", and "disadvantaged people", etc.... In reality, boils down to unequal justice for people who have been stupid and made crappy decision after crappy decision.
    I agree with you entirely for those old enough to know better. but in the case of young children or teenagers, I think it's a harsh mental model. what if your daughter made a mistake, goes to a party and drinks too much and gets raped, are you gonna have the heart to tell her it's her fault since she ought to have never been there in the first place? that's harsh. I think your point is valid for those old enough to know better. the young ones, those watching over them ought to be held to a higher standard but that's just me.
    There cannot be a happy ending to the fight between the raging gods and humans...
    We depict hatred, but it is to depict that there are more important things.
    We depict a curse, to depict the joy of liberation. -princess mononoke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links