My new home and solar - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My new home and solar

This is a discussion on My new home and solar within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Well how do we stand on wind power? From previous discussions seems like it was decided by the time you build a giant turbine...haul it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: My new home and solar

Well how do we stand on wind power? From previous discussions seems like it was decided by the time you build a giant turbine...haul it and install it fix it take it down etc. It takes more energy to do all that stuff than the crazy thing could ever hope to generate over a hundred years or so. Sure a backyard model be even worse than that precentage wise..just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Well how do we stand on wind power? From previous discussions seems like it was decided by the time you build a giant turbine...haul it and install it fix it take it down etc. It takes more energy to do all that stuff than the crazy thing could ever hope to generate over a hundred years or so. Sure a backyard model be even worse than that precentage wise..just guessing.
    Few homes here had fancy wind turbines put up. Collected big tax breaks , grants ect. Funny all of them were connected to government jobs. Now all that is left are the towers everything else gone. Not a work in the news, But when they went up it was like the seconding coming.
    bigwheel likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

We had an innovator up in Wilbarger County old pal o mine who installed a big whirlygig on a tall post in the 80s. Was the buzz for a while but last heard he thing was gone and the FBI was investigating the shyster who sold him the crazy thing. Not sure how it ended up. Now our Pastor up there built two Earth Shelter Houses..one for him and one for his Mama in Law. In fact one of my old chums built him the houses. Now those are cool for saving energy. His electric bill ran about 30 bucks a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I do not see many wind turbines for electricity in our area (SE Arizona). But there are still quite a few ranches that use them for pumping water.

They suffer the same problems as solar for electricity - inverters, batteries, charge controllers, etc. That is where the big expense is, not in the wind turbine or solar panels.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I live in a grid tied solar powered home but we are generally off grid. I'm also active on a solar forum and occasionally assist others in designing solar systems.

RUN from that home unless the home price is reduced to reflect the $144 monthly solar plan. Those grid tied "solar rental" plans rarely pay off, the solar to grid market is over saturated in many areas (especially in CA and AZ) so the utility company doesn't pay as much anymore. Yes, we love solar with a large battery bank (we often lose grid power in my shop here) but living totally on solar is a lifestyle many people wouldn't do well with. And most "pay every month" solar systems won't work if the grid is down and you can't add batteries unless you replace the $3500+ inverter.

If you really want an emergency solar backup you can build a smaller unit to run a few circuits after you've chosen a home with some yard with good sun exposure.

Personally I think solar is an excellent prep but when considering cost vs benefit I think a smaller 800 watt (in solar panels) with a PSW 1500 watt inverter is about the right size to run a fridge/freezer and a few lights without costing too much.
    Last edited by Elvis; 11-09-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    Slippy, Sasquatch and Smitty901 like this.

I’ve only ever seen one private wind turbine in this area. This homeowner was high up on a mountain top and the turbine was a good 50 to 60 feet up on a tower. After a couple of years the turbine disappeared. The owner told me that it received numerous lightning strikes and cost a fortune to repair each time.

Didn’t read all the pages good analysis on post 2 but which utility serves this new home. Your solar payment is fixed your electricity rates are not. Just worth pondering how much juice do you get for the payment because you will be buying it from someone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links