My new home and solar - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My new home and solar

This is a discussion on My new home and solar within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Your buying somebody else's problem if your picking up the note on the solar system and chances are it's one of the reasons they are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: My new home and solar

Your buying somebody else's problem if your picking up the note on the solar system and chances are it's one of the reasons they are selling in the first place. A grid tie only system allows the power company all the control and allows you all the maintenance on an unknown system. I would be walking away if it where me.
    Smitty901, Inor, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

@Sasquatch Sas, my initial reaction is there is no way I would take over the solar payments.

1) The previous owners (or local solar company) already got the benefit of the Federal Tax rebates

2) Pacific Gouge & Extortion screws you in how much they pay you to purchase the electricity your panels generate (Last time I checked, I think PG&E paid 2.5 cents per kilowatt hour). Pacific Gouge & Extortion charges (E1 plan) 22.98 cents per kWh you use, and it quickly rises to tier 2 prices (28.92 cents per kWh) then tier 3 where PG&E charges you 50.66 cents per kWh you use. You will be paying for the previous home owners decision. (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/p...SCHEDS_E-1.pdf)

3) On top of that, Pacific Gouge & Extortion is making money (approx. 20 cents per kWh that your panels generate). They also charge you a fee (monthly?) for the privilege of you using their grid as a battery.

4) Most solar panels manufactures say their panels suffer a 0.5% to 1% efficiency loss every year. However, typically, they only warranty it for more than 3%. Find out what make of panels are on the roof, then go to their website and look at their warranty. In this example, I looked at Astronergy Solar (https://pdf.wholesalesolar.com/modul...682.1429114599 )

5) What shape are the roof shingles in? How long will they last before they will need to be replaced?

6) Look at the contract that the previous home owner signed. I bet there isn’t a clause stating they will pay to have the panels removed (so they shingles may be replaced) and put the panels back. If not, most companies charge $5,000 to remove and reinstall them so you can re-roof.

There are other reasons not to take over his payments, but I think you get the idea.

I wish you and Nursey the best of luck getting your first home.

Super Moderator

I appreciate everyone's feedback. You all justified some of my concerns and/or alerted me to possible issues I hadnt even thought of. Which is why I brought this to the PF brain trust in the first place.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. You all justified some of my concerns and/or alerted me to possible issues I hadnt even thought of. Which is why I brought this to the PF brain trust in the first place.

Thank you.

Sasq my boy!

OK... Now that this is settled here comes the fun part!

Please provide me with the the seller' phone or the seller's real estate agent's phone number.

Alert them that I am your Man Friday, or Huckleberry; acting on your behalf to settle this little situation and I will gladly call these little Hornswoggler's and let them know exactly who they are dealing with!
    Sasquatch and Smitty901 like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Sasq my boy!

OK... Now that this is settled here comes the fun part!

Please provide me with the the seller' phone or the seller's real estate agent's phone number.

Alert them that I am your Man Friday, or Huckleberry; acting on your behalf to settle this little situation and I will gladly call these little Hornswoggler's and let them know exactly who they are dealing with!
    That's great! I love the idea of having a man servant.

Slippy and Annie like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Drats! Foiled again!
    Sasquatch likes this.

@Sasquatch I have NOP damn Idea. But I tell ya what.. I will be in Glamis on DEc 26.. Are you anywhere close? would like to but you a beer.
    I am gonna go invite Shotlady now.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGhost View Post
    @Sasquatch Sas, my initial reaction is there is no way I would take over the solar payments.

1) The previous owners (or local solar company) already got the benefit of the Federal Tax rebates

2) Pacific Gouge & Extortion screws you in how much they pay you to purchase the electricity your panels generate (Last time I checked, I think PG&E paid 2.5 cents per kilowatt hour). Pacific Gouge & Extortion charges (E1 plan) 22.98 cents per kWh you use, and it quickly rises to tier 2 prices (28.92 cents per kWh) then tier 3 where PG&E charges you 50.66 cents per kWh you use. You will be paying for the previous home owners decision. (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/p...SCHEDS_E-1.pdf)

3) On top of that, Pacific Gouge & Extortion is making money (approx. 20 cents per kWh that your panels generate). They also charge you a fee (monthly?) for the privilege of you using their grid as a battery.

4) Most solar panels manufactures say their panels suffer a 0.5% to 1% efficiency loss every year. However, typically, they only warranty it for more than 3%. Find out what make of panels are on the roof, then go to their website and look at their warranty. In this example, I looked at Astronergy Solar (https://pdf.wholesalesolar.com/modul...682.1429114599 )

5) What shape are the roof shingles in? How long will they last before they will need to be replaced?

6) Look at the contract that the previous home owner signed. I bet there isn’t a clause stating they will pay to have the panels removed (so they shingles may be replaced) and put the panels back. If not, most companies charge $5,000 to remove and reinstall them so you can re-roof.

There are other reasons not to take over his payments, but I think you get the idea.

I wish you and Nursey the best of luck getting your first home.
    Wow..that was like getting a cool sip of water out of a charged fire hose. Thanks. Now I hate Solar! I was crazy to even thinking about wanting that crap. Glad we have smart folks who hang out on here.
    hawgrider likes this.

Super Moderator

Don't!!! I can only imagine the trouble that would ensue.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Start at 25 cents on the dollar at the solar equipment current real market value. For any payment over that 25 cents they must prove it is worth twice the raise in a real world market. Real Market value would be if it was removed from the house and sold as is.
    30 cents on the dollar would be ok if a full warranty matching the factory warranty that came with it new.
    I am betting if it came down to taking it off some one would write off a big part of the price. Tell them to drop the house the full finance price of the solar loan
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    bigwheel likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links