Any security ideas for vacant land with garage building?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Any security ideas for vacant land with garage building? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi everyone, I wonder if any preppers can help me with security ideas. We purchased some rural land to eventually build on. It's in another ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By ticotexas
  • 2 Post By Deebo
  • 2 Post By Maine-Marine
  • 5 Post By Chipper
  • 2 Post By rstanek

Thread: Any security ideas for vacant land with garage building?

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if any preppers can help me with security ideas. We purchased some rural land to eventually build on. It's in another state, far from where we live currently. I'm trying to think of the best and least expensive methods of security or remote monitoring. The land has a metal building garage/pole barn partially finished with a bedroom and bathroom, with water, electricity, and heat pump. The land driveway has a gate, chains and padlocks. There are also no trespassing signs. What would be nice would be simple cameras, entry sensors, moisture sensor, and freeze sensor. The weather rarely gets below freezing there, but it would still be nice to know if the heat pump loses power in the winter. So it could be some type of loss-of-power sensor instead of a freeze sensor. A complicating fact is there is no hard-wired internet, but I know I can buy an AT&T nighthawk for LTE internet there, so I think I can set up wifi.

How do any of you handle security at a rural property which you don't visit very often? Any ideas on my situation would be appreciated.
    RedLion and bigwheel like this.

Howdy Texas..
    Good questions.
    I don't have any "off site" property to manage, or secure, on my NM farm, we use the "bury the body deep" philosophy, and there is usually a hole dug, ready for fillin in.
    Welcome to preppers forum.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

cell modem with temp sensor... boss used that on his house after he moved...

1. set up alarm in verizon to email you if modem goes off line (or use a sierra wireless RV50X or Peplink Max-Br1-Mini with management )
    2. if heat falls below x temp sensor can email you

set up cameras that record on a chip or you will use way too much band width
    bigwheel and Elvis like this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Couple cases of beer and maybe a bottle or 2. Get to be good friends with the neighbors really quick. That will be your best defense.

All your fancy electronics will fail at some point.

Hearty welcome from Cowtown. The friendly neighbor and an alarm motion sensing lights and etc..sounds good to me on protecting the secret prepper retreat.

https://www.burglarbomb.com/products/ Some of this type of deterrent along with wifi camera monitoring. A simple 5w night lite in camera view would let you know if power fails.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    There are game cameras available that can be accessed by cell phone, sends an alert every time it senses activity, though it depends on your carrier and service to your area
    jimb1972 and bigwheel like this.

An alarm from simplysafe.com might be a good option. Their monitoring fees are pretty cheap and would work well in a situation like this.

Fortunately my farm is landlocked by very good and pretty wealthy landowners. Depending on your funding wireless cameras will send you live photos. Buy blackflash, hide them and place them at known ingress and egress points that trespassers would use. angle them so you are likely to get faces and license plate numbers. The simple fact is, you may always have to deal with this to some extent. I haven't been to my farm (land really) all summer. Saturday? Fresh side by side tracks through the grass.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Sponsored Links