Being in the wrong place, and out of your "time."
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Being in the wrong place, and out of your "time." within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; One of the things my wife and I do is go to the mall book store to look for new releases, knife magazines and buy ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Being in the wrong place, and out of your "time."

One of the things my wife and I do is go to the mall book store to look for new releases, knife magazines and buy some substandard, over-priced coffee. Yes, I am watchful of strangers and I listen for townies getting out of control, but that's not my problem.

The problem is "me." I think it's because I'm about to turn 70 years of age.

As a boomer, I had the world by the tail for most of my life. As I entered the school system, one out of every three American citizens was a baby-boomer. Matel made toys for us that were new and exciting. Annette Funicello built a career on boomer boys. JFK was beloved despite his insatiable appetite for anything female. And just as we all turned 16 years of age, Chrysler put its 426 Hemi into cars we could afford.

Yikes, what a storybook existence! Then we turned 30 years of age. And just as we settled into that strata, we all turned 40.

Within a scant few months I will turn 70 years of age, and I still cannot believe it. Oh, I see elderly people, but most of my friends and I all look 53 years old, still flirt, ride motorcycles and throw down like it was 1968. But "time" has left us. We do not easily grasp new advances in computer technology. If we are blunt, some kid goes to find a store manager. I can understand most motorcycle magazines, but not many news renditions.

Over the last few months the coffee cafe' has gotten stranger, less hospitable and even a tad fearful. I no longer speak their language. Heck, people even sit in my seat! And finally, but slowly, I have become less important.

As I recently stated, I patched amid 40 members. Of that roll-call, only six have survived. The new CC Riders are cleaner cut, law abiding and actually ask guys like me to tell them stories of "the olden days."

I'm reminded of the old western gunslingers who when their time was up they rode into a new state, changed their look and their names, and started with a clean slate. They had no house wrapped up in a mortgage, nor was there anyone to read and decipher their fingerprints. These vagabonds left no trail.

As I came home today, I emptied my jeans' pockets and a switchblade clattered on the table. I doubt anyone born before 1960 knows that schedule. I mused that Captain Kirk was about to find me in a frozen stasis chamber, bemused by my pants made of cotton, my boots made of animal hides, and a 'cold steel' implement instead of a fully charged phaser. For in a real sense, that is exactly the person I have become.

This next birthday will be a hard one. It is when the history of my world ends and is forgotten.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Wait until the 80's roll around..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Being in the wrong place, and out of your "time."-tivt.png  

Agure Aut Mori

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    One of the things my wife and I do is go to the mall book store to look for new releases, knife magazines and buy some substandard, over-priced coffee. Yes, I am watchful of strangers and I listen for townies getting out of control, but that's not my problem.

The problem is "me." I think it's because I'm about to turn 70 years of age.

As a boomer, I had the world by the tail for most of my life. As I entered the school system, one out of every three American citizens was a baby-boomer. Matel made toys for us that were new and exciting. Annette Funicello built a career on boomer boys. JFK was beloved despite his insatiable appetite for anything female. And just as we all turned 16 years of age, Chrysler put its 426 Hemi into cars we could afford.

Yikes, what a storybook existence! Then we turned 30 years of age. And just as we settled into that strata, we all turned 40.

Within a scant few months I will turn 70 years of age, and I still cannot believe it. Oh, I see elderly people, but most of my friends and I all look 53 years old, still flirt, ride motorcycles and throw down like it was 1968. But "time" has left us. We do not easily grasp new advances in computer technology. If we are blunt, some kid goes to find a store manager. I can understand most motorcycle magazines, but not many news renditions.

Over the last few months the coffee cafe' has gotten stranger, less hospitable and even a tad fearful. I no longer speak their language. Heck, people even sit in my seat! And finally, but slowly, I have become less important.

As I recently stated, I patched amid 40 members. Of that roll-call, only six have survived. The new CC Riders are cleaner cut, law abiding and actually ask guys like me to tell them stories of "the olden days."

I'm reminded of the old western gunslingers who when their time was up they rode into a new state, changed their look and their names, and started with a clean slate. They had no house wrapped up in a mortgage, nor was there anyone to read and decipher their fingerprints. These vagabonds left no trail.

As I came home today, I emptied my jeans' pockets and a switchblade clattered on the table. I doubt anyone born before 1960 knows that schedule. I mused that Captain Kirk was about to find me in a frozen stasis chamber, bemused by my pants made of cotton, my boots made of animal hides, and a 'cold steel' implement instead of a fully charged phaser. For in a real sense, that is exactly the person I have become.

This next birthday will be a hard one. It is when the history of my world ends and is forgotten.
    Glad you had such a wonderful and affluent child hood. Us old poor white trash products of the Texas oil patch...did not get many of those nicities. One of my earliest memories was watching my daddy fist fighting with the neighbor guy while the guys wife and my Mama were fighing over who go to be in charge of the .22 Rifle. My old Daddy who was on top and beating the heck out of the guy..seen the action of the wimmen jumped up and knocked the errant wife plumb out with one punch. She thought she was gonna die when she woke up. So they all had a beer and docotored their boo boos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Wait until the 80's roll around..
    LOL, the issue is will I remember that I was 80 when that rolls around?

The oddball thing is that none of my friends look like the two guys in the picture. We all look like we're in our fifties. For example, I use a piece of equipment at the gym that looks like a section of a "backwards escalator." Even guys in their twenties crap out on that thing.

Before the eye surgery, I used to use those steps for 2.5 hours. I have a touch of hay-fever and seasonal asthma, and it's a great way to clear out your lungs and sinuses.

I didn't feel that hot this morning, so I only did 42 minutes so my wife could leave if she wanted to. I wasn't even panting.

I think the boomer bikers were made out of some bizarre (or Bizarro) DNA scraped off the side of downed satellite that crash landed into Mars. My friends and I don't age, we don't break, and we are not losing muscle tone or bulk.

I often wonder if we were "hatched" like in a sci-fi movie. Rows and rows of glass containers with a tiny perfect embryo hooked to flexible tubing...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I gotcha by 5 years there, youngster, . . .

Got scared as the devil in basic training when JFK got shot, . . . was the war on tomorrow???

My "hemi" was a 56 Fairlane 1 door, . . . passenger door was smashed in, . . . had to kick it open, . . . she and I got in and out the same door.

Only good thing about my growin' up was the family and, . . . I survived. Got my HS diploma, . . . started chasing a red head, . . . ran off to the Navy, . . . survived since then.

Today, . . . been wrasslin old full length railroad ties, . . . building a shooting backstop, . . . after I fixed the ignition on my Ford tractor.

Never got into body building or the such, . . . came too close on my Triumph to gettin' wasted by a stupid driver, . . . sold it and never really looked back.

Most folks who hear me tell em I'm 74 don't believe it, . . . I just figure the sausage gravy and biscuits, . . . spaghetti and meatballs, . . . and other "home cooked" stuff my wife of 51 years makes, . . . as well as a straightforward prayer life, . . . kept me how I am.

Glad you're here, pal, . . . keep up the good work. Oh, . . . and 70 ain't bad, . . . fact is, . . . it's just a number. But if it really gets to bothering you, . . . just remember that 90 days after your birthday, . . . you actually age another year. Your body ACTUALLY IS 9 months older than your birthday, . . . and women especially don't like to hear that. . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    bigwheel likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Pretty sure I was in the time and place I was suppose to be. At least most days of my life. May not have know why at the time but most of it became clear latter in life.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I hope you aren’t having an existential crisis.
    bigwheel likes this.

The Good Cop

I’ve been living on borrowed time since age 21.
    That was 50 years ago.

It’s all good, every day when I wake up I thank God for allowing me to see one more sun rise.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I'm boomer also, amazing how polite us folks are everywhere . Everywhere I go it's please and thank you.
    bigwheel likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

@ The Tourist, Eat you heart out, I met Annette when I was 14.

I was peddling my bike down the side walk, one summer day about 200 yards from our home,

saw a pretty girl sitting on some porch step as I passed the house.

Stopped, turned around, went back and turned into the driveway.

I said to the girl sitting there that she looked like Annette Funicello, she said "that's because I am"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well right there my mouth was shut with an invisible clamp! gawd it was her!!!

Well she invited me to come over and sit down beside her and chat, which I did for about two hours, I think.

Her and her mother were here visiting her aunt (mother's sister) for a couple of weeks, was leaving in the morning to go back to Cali.

She did say that if I met her earlier we could have hung out together.

I knew her aunt, she was one of my teachers in Jr High School,

she never came back from what I knew, but she did send me an personally autographed picture.

Was a sad day when she died.
    1skrewsloose and bigwheel like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links