Chess - Any players
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Chess - Any players

This is a discussion on Chess - Any players within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Chess is game that requires looking ahead, seeing what you can do trying to see what the other person will do, countering a move before ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Chess - Any players

Chess - Any players

Chess is game that requires looking ahead, seeing what you can do trying to see what the other person will do, countering a move before it is made, trickery, deception, sacrifice...

Anybody play???

anybody have a ranking?

I use to play a lot. I once played in a USMC v US Navy tournament aboard the USS Vancouver and took 1st place.

But now I have not played seriously in many years... so long in fact my online ranking is below 800 (which is beginner ranking)

I am thinking it will be a way to spending time ... after teotwawki... lol
    Swimmer1, Slippy and Ragnarök like this.
    Be a Berean

Same line of thinking I have had. So I found a silicon travel set.

Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Been quite a while but I used to enjoy it.

I have a real nice inlaid wood board and hand carved pieces. A great game to have when SHTF as long as you can find someone who knows the game.

For young kids get them started with checkers

My other favorite game was cribbage.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 10-01-2019 at 04:03 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Used to love it...was never very good at it. Aint played it in a long time. I had an early computerized chess playing game n the 80s. Had a lot of fun with it. The thing was hard to beat on the expert settings but it took it forever to check out all the possibgle moves it could make. Drove me crazy. lol.
    Ragnarök likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    ........My other favorite game was cribbage.
    Me too. I built a pocket-sized cribbage kit, complete with board, full-size playing cards, pegs and a leather case. I made several, and one is in my BOB.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

My dad loved to play chess, and there was no one around he could find on a regular basis. When I turned five years old, my dad taught me. It was a bad idea.

One night I trapped him in checkmate within three moves. He took the board apart, studied my moves and tried to figure out how he got beat.

...he never played me when I became a rotten teenager...
    bigwheel likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Me too. I built a pocket-sized cribbage kit, complete with board, full-size playing cards, pegs and a leather case. I made several, and one is in my BOB.
    Cards, a few decks are good to have on hand. I've made cribbage boards out of a small cardboard box and toothpicks/twigs.

I'm re-reading "Endurance", the story of the Shackelton expedition that got caught on the ice pack, trying to get to the south pole. They lived on the ice for over a year. Cards were at a premium. If you have the time read that book, a truly amazing story of survival
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.

I haven't had a ranking since my Freshman year in College. (Not that it was that long ago, but I did spend 4 Decades, Two Centuries, and a Millenia attending College.) During the first gulf war: Joe's lounge in Misrah, Oman had only one chess table to entertain the Troops and it was the center of attention. Only the winner continued and everyone was free to challenge. Many hours of recreation passed playing & watching.

I learned as a child and was above average most of my playing days. It seems that we all played chess growing up and even in college. I had a little travel set that I took to college and got pretty good playing against better players.

Funny story, (to me)...I have a punk ass nephew who was always told that he was some kind of genius. He scored very high on all of the stupid ass tests they give kids nowadays but he can't look a man in the eyes or shake his hand with any authority. He also some how got his "black belt" in karate from some suburban strip mall karate store. His parents got him into it because he was always "bullied" at school.

Hell, I bullied the shit out of him because he was a condescending little twit and a few weeks after he earned his black belt he was bragging to the kids that he could take Uncle Slippy now. I over heard him and told him to make the first 2 moves he did and they were pathetic. Of course I shit bigger than this kid, so in about 3 seconds I had lifted his skinny ass off the ground and slammed him on his back one handed with my hand on his throat. He peed his pants a bit and I felt bad, well not too bad to laugh and point at his wet crotch in front of his cousins, but the sumbitch was 17 years old and a high school senior and he was the one that challenged me...so I didn't feel too bad.

Anyway, the little punk is now in his late 20's has 2 degrees and is working on a law degree and still lives at home and has never held a job. Hell, his mommy still goes to the doctor and DMV with him, how pathetic! You can picture this little shit can't you?

And the funny part...he was considered to be some chess club king at his pitiful little private school...BUT I kicked his ass in chess every time we played and it pissed him off to no end. He absolutely hated to play me but couldn't say no when I challenged him. I wasn't better than him by any means, he just got so worked up and nervous and let his emotions get the best of him and he cracked under pressure.

I'm sad to say, I don't hate the kid, I just wish he would dry up and blow away as the world will be a better place.

But for now, I'll smile and laugh knowing that he will go to his grave 0-fer against his Uncle Slippy in Chess! Cracks me up!

I used to play chess all the time. I enjoy playing, but haven’t played in a while.... All I do is work now.

60 hours of physical labor a week and somehow my mind is affected.

Next time I see my dad we’ll play and I’ll let you know who won on this thread.

I ranked second and a half in my family .... Played my dad in chess many times growing up and never beat him. He was a champion of some sort in his university back when dinosaurs walked the earth.
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links