80 years ago
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

80 years ago

This is a discussion on 80 years ago within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; "The deadliest conflict in human history began exactly 80 years ago. On Sept. 1, 1939, Nazi Germany invaded Poland. Britain and France came to Poland’s ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: 80 years ago

80 years ago

"The deadliest conflict in human history began exactly 80 years ago. On Sept. 1, 1939, Nazi Germany invaded Poland. Britain and France came to Poland’s defense, and suddenly World War II was underway. Estimates of civilian and military deaths in the war go as high as 85 million."

Think about what the world today would look like had the US not stepped in.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Approximately 17 million Americans served in the military during WW2. Over 1 million were killed or wounded. The US amassed the greatest fighting force ever seen in the world.

I've neither read nor heard of young men back in 1941 being confused about which bathroom to use, or if they needed a safe place to cuddle a puppy because someone called them a name.

But I am not a military historian so @rice paddy daddy please chime in!

Imagine if Germany would have waited 5 years and developed the weapons they had designed near the end. Biplanes fighting jets and they would have had nukes. Would be a total different world then we have now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    .................. Think about what the world today would look like had the US not stepped in.
    I would rather not think about it, . . . as we would probably be speaking German or Japanese, . . . and I am not comfortable with either.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    inceptor likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Approximately 17 million Americans served in the military during WW2. Over 1 million were killed or wounded. The US amassed the greatest fighting force ever seen in the world.

I've neither read nor heard of young men back in 1941 being confused about which bathroom to use, or if they needed a safe place to cuddle a puppy because someone called them a name.

No safe places or IBGTL#@%#&# specific bathrooms in Normandy? The hell you say!
    Slippy and inceptor like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Actually, there were a LOT of desertions.
    Also, Eisenhower used to fume at the number of USGI black market profiteers at work in places like Paris. He even mentioned this in his memoirs. "Crusade In Europe." When the number of Infantry riflemen got dangerously low, he issued orders for these rear echelon troops to be combed thru and any excess to be sent to the front line.
    A lot of field grade and higher officers were sacked for being basically incompetent.

The most famous deserter was Pvt Eddie Slovick. He was the only one executed for it.

Popular history portrays the "greatest generation" as all being selfless heroes. But they were just regular people with all the flaws of regular people.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Actually, there were a LOT of desertions.
    Also, Eisenhower used to fume at the number of USGI black market profiteers at work in places like Paris. He even mentioned this in his memoirs. "Crusade In Europe." When the number of Infantry riflemen got dangerously low, he issued orders for these rear echelon troops to be combed thru and any excess to be sent to the front line.
    A lot of field grade and higher officers were sacked for being basically incompetent.

The most famous deserter was Pvt Eddie Slovick. He was the only one executed for it.

Popular history portrays the "greatest generation" as all being selfless heroes. But they were just regular people with all the flaws of regular people.

Yes, of course the "Greatest Generation" had it's bad seeds and malcontents, as every generation does. But, looked at in it's entirety, I would say that Generation of the Great Depression and WWII had more grit and determination then anything I have seen in the last 30 years at least. Given the same circumstances as the 30's and 40's does anyone really think today's generation would rise to anywhere near the same level as the "Greatest Generation"? I am betting not.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 09-02-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

"Man in the High Castle"?

Peace,
    Michael J.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Yes, of course the "Greatest Generation" had it's bad seeds and malcontents, as every generation does. But, looked at in it's entirety, I would say that Generation of the Great Depression and WWII more grit and determination then anything I have seen in the last 30 years at least. Given the same circumstances as the 30's and 40's does anyone really think today's generation would rise to anywhere near the same level as the "Greatest Generation"? I am betting not.
    The last vestiges gave out when Apollo got shut down by lack of funding.
    Prepared One likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    "The deadliest conflict in human history began exactly 80 years ago. On Sept. 1, 1939, Nazi Germany invaded Poland. Britain and France came to Poland’s defense, and suddenly World War II was underway. Estimates of civilian and military deaths in the war go as high as 85 million."

Think about what the world today would look like had the US not stepped in.
    What most folks don't understand is that France by her inaction in not invading Eastern Germany condemned Poland to fight the German Army all by herself.

History would have been much different if France had lived up to her pledge to Poland.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links