80 years ago - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

80 years ago

This is a discussion on 80 years ago within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; My Father saw it coming. He enlisted late summer 1941. He wanted to be navy but was colorblind. Lucky for him/me. Those he enlisted with, ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: 80 years ago

My Father saw it coming.

He enlisted late summer 1941. He wanted to be navy but was colorblind. Lucky for him/me. Those he enlisted with, that were USN, many are on the Arizona.

My Father ended up 8th Air Force, Britain and Europe. 1942-1945 .

"After a raid you had to land and of course that was also highly choreographed. The landing procedures for bomber formations that was required to get them all back onto the ground quickly without running into other planes in the pattern was also an SOP. Planes with wounded aboard landed first, then all undamaged planes, and finally seriously damaged ones landed last so that if they crashed the runway would not be closed."
    inceptor likes this.

The Good Cop

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that if the French had not come to our aid during the Revolution, we would still be part of Great Britain.

I have friends in France that to this day remember and honor their American liberators.

ThanksGIs celebrates my division, the 5th Infantry, crossing the Moselle and freeing the villages of Dornot, and Corny.
    I personally know the President of this organization, and have met her through our reunions.
    Slippy, inceptor, Annie and 3 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

"The retard Nazi's drove off their best scientists and engineers, and sent them off in a panic, for their lives. The Germans did some research into atomic weapons, but it was a joke. Their best minds ended up at Los Alamos, Hitler was an idiot in ways, and he did not have any strategic thing, it was all tactical."

That's why I said IMAGINE if he would have waited 5 years. Not starting a war, killing people and not driving off his best scientists etc. Plus having all his resources available to develop weapons while not getting the crap bombed out of himself.

Your 100% right, thank god he was an idiot.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    .........Your 100% right, thank god he was an idiot.
    And there's plenty of evidence that the Allies not only knew this, but decided not to attempt to kill him as any successor might be a bit smarter.
    Chipper likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that if the French had not come to our aid during the Revolution, we would still be part of Great Britain.
    Then again, RPD, we returned the favor saving the French from the Germans. In fact, we saved Italy despite their defection led by Il Duce.

I heard a statement on talk radio I had never considered. The USA freed most of Europe with the blood of their own patriots. We never kept any of the land we conquered, and even returned much of it back to Germany. Come to think of it, I do not remember any of the Hirohito's inner circle tossed into chains and paraded around Tokyo.

If I'm proud of anything as an American it's how the WWII generation unselfishly saved the free world and re-habilitated the peoples of previous foreign enemies.
    inceptor likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Imagine if Germany would have waited 5 years and developed the weapons they had designed near the end. Biplanes fighting jets and they would have had nukes. Would be a total different world then we have now.
    German admiral's and generals did not want to go to war until 1945-6.
    Hitler was impatient for his war.
    The Kriegsmarine admirals wanted that time to build a force equal to the British navy.
    The surface raiders were just that, they were the equivalent of the of the battle-cruisers of the RN.
    They (navy) wanted ships like the King George the fifth to slug it out with the Brits, and enough of them.
    Admiral Raider had to make due with the U boats to cut shipping going into England,
    in the area that were not in patrol range of aircraft.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-01-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    German admiral's and generals did not want to go to war until 1945-6.
    Hitler was impatient for his war.
    While not being born until five years after the war, I'm glad that Hitler's generals finally got their way.

Could you imagine how it would have turned out if the Luftwaffe would have all flown jet aircraft and started their world war by bombing England back to the stone age. It took America, France, England and some of Russia to sack the Third Reich in only four years.

There was a story in the old Readers Digest on how some of our fighters flying P-51 Mustangs saw their first jet-powered German fighter.

Here's what I found:

The Messerschmitt Me 262, nicknamed Schwalbe (German: "Swallow") in fighter versions, or Sturmvogel (German: "Storm Bird") in fighter-bomber versions, was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    While not being born until five years after the war, I'm glad that Hitler's generals finally got their way.

Could you imagine how it would have turned out if the Luftwaffe would have all flown jet aircraft and started their world war by bombing England back to the stone age. It took America, France, England and some of Russia to sack the Third Reich in only four years.

There was a story in the old Readers Digest on how some of our fighters flying P-51 Mustangs saw their first jet-powered German fighter.

Here's what I found:

The Messerschmitt Me 262, nicknamed Schwalbe (German: "Swallow") in fighter versions, or Sturmvogel (German: "Storm Bird") in fighter-bomber versions, was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft.
    Keep in mind most of the Allies were aware of Hitlers ambitions. Towards that end, they were gearing up. I've also read where Hitler was worried their pre-war efforts would exceed the Fatherlands', so he decided to strike first.

Chamberlain came back waving that pathetic, useless piece of paper, proclaiming 'Peace in our time", knowing full well he was holding a sheet of Charmin. But he knew it was giving Britain more time to build up their forces.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Then again, RPD, we returned the favor saving the French from the Germans. In fact, we saved Italy despite their defection led by Il Duce.

I heard a statement on talk radio I had never considered. The USA freed most of Europe with the blood of their own patriots. We never kept any of the land we conquered, and even returned much of it back to Germany. Come to think of it, I do not remember any of the Hirohito's inner circle tossed into chains and paraded around Tokyo.

If I'm proud of anything as an American it's how the WWII generation unselfishly saved the free world and re-habilitated the peoples of previous foreign enemies.
    The French are this country's oldest ally.
    If the French army had not been bled white in WWI by truly incompetent leadership, they might have done a little better in WWII.

Montgomery's leadership of the British was so hesitant that they were not much help, either.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

If the world had the internet back then, things would have been different. People would have been warned..
    But, History is exactly that, History. And apparently we havent learned.
    But here is what I started watching last night about WW2 and the years before.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0789TRXSY
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links