80 years ago - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

80 years ago

This is a discussion on 80 years ago within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack The last vestiges gave out when Apollo got shut down by lack of funding. Not sure what you are ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: 80 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    The last vestiges gave out when Apollo got shut down by lack of funding.
    Not sure what you are referring to BPH?

The space program, which ended up being very important to national defense, othewise was a huge waste of money. Supposedly going to the moon, accomplished little more than a timely sense of patriotism during the cold war. I believe we could have accomplished the national defense aspect without "going to the moon".
    Inor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to BPH?

The space program, which ended up being very important to national defense, othewise was a huge waste of money. Supposedly going to the moon, accomplished little more than a timely sense of patriotism during the cold war. I believe we could have accomplished the national defense aspect without "going to the moon".

I'm referring to the collective effort to make it happen. If you want to politicize it and make the claim we never went, fine. But you gotta admit one of two things: Whether or not you believe 12 men set foot on the moon, it was either a HUGE accomplishment to make it happen, or a HUGE accomplishment to fake out the Russkies, the North Koreans, the Chinese, the East Germans, and all the other countries who would have had a tremendous propaganda coup if they had just ONE shred of proof it never happened (which, oddly enough, is a topic the moon-landing conspiracists never want to address).
    Slippy likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I'm referring to the collective effort to make it happen. If you want to politicize it and make the claim we never went, fine. But you gotta admit one of two things: Whether or not you believe 12 men set foot on the moon, it was either a HUGE accomplishment to make it happen, or a HUGE accomplishment to fake out the Russkies, the North Koreans, the Chinese, the East Germans, and all the other countries who would have had a tremendous propaganda coup if they had just ONE shred of proof it never happened (which, oddly enough, is a topic the moon-landing conspiracists never want to address).
    I cannot argue with you that it was a HUGE accomplishment either way.... But I ask the same question about most everything that government does..."Is it government's responsibility to do this"?

Yes, regarding national defense but No regarding an ego race with other countries. Who really cares if China or Russia "made it to the moon" first?

I don't.

I was too young to pay taxes at the time, but I do not want my tax dollars today to go toward a silly "race" against other countries.
    Inor likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    ........... But I ask the same question about most everything that government does..."Is it government's responsibility to do this"?........
    Given the technology and resources available at the time, Big Brother Inc would have been the only entity able to pull it off. And, at the time, the people were behind it. It wasn't until we achieved the end-of-the-decade goal that support waned, NASA's budget got slashed, lopping off Apollos 18, 19 and 20.

I doubt Virgin Air- and SpaceX-type ventures would have even gotten off the ground (literally and figuratively) back then.
    Slippy likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Real Old Man View Post
    What most folks don't understand is that France by her inaction in not invading Eastern Germany condemned Poland to fight the German Army all by herself.

History would have been much different if France had lived up to her pledge to Poland.
    Had anyone step up even a little when Germany went into Poland it would have been over right then and there.
    Mad Trapper and Real Old Man like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Had anyone step up even a little when Germany went into Poland it would have been over right then and there.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler went into the Sudetenland, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler marched into the Rhineland, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler annexed Austria, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, things would have been different.
    Had Churchill been in power instead of Chamberlain, things would have been different.

(I'm sure I have forgotten a few)
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

What most folks don't understand is that France by her inaction in not invading Eastern Germany condemned Poland to fight the German Army all by herself.

History would have been much different if France had lived up to her pledge to Poland.
    Britain was part of that pact also.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    "The deadliest conflict in human history began exactly 80 years ago. On Sept. 1, 1939, Nazi Germany invaded Poland. Britain and France came to Poland’s defense, and suddenly World War II was underway. Estimates of civilian and military deaths in the war go as high as 85 million."

Think about what the world today would look like had the US not stepped in.
    If America had not gone in, Europe would still be Nazi, there were plenty of collaborators in France and Sweden, etc. France had a strong fascist movement, which joined up with the Nazis, after they invaded. And it had an incompetent leadership, which made it easy to defeat.

Think about Marshall Petain, their greatest military man, who escaped execution because he was senile, and 85 years old. America and France have themselves to blame in ways, because the war was easy to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Imagine if Germany would have waited 5 years and developed the weapons they had designed near the end. Biplanes fighting jets and they would have had nukes. Would be a total different world then we have now.
    The retard Nazi's drove off their best scientists and engineers, and sent them off in a panic, for their lives. The Germans did some research into atomic weapons, but it was a joke. Their best minds ended up at Los Alamos, Hitler was an idiot in ways, and he did not have any strategic thing, it was all tactical.

And, when Germany took the Sudentanland, and Alsace-Lorraine, France just stood by and let it happen. They depended upon the Maginot Line, and a static defense; instead of an energetic offense. They should have had the sense to see Hitler for what he was, and then make the French Army, better than the German.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 09-01-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

Patton: "I'd rather have a German division in front of me, than a French one behind me".

Poland got screwed by the Germans/French then later by the Russians.
    inceptor and NewRiverGeorge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler went into the Sudetenland, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler marched into the Rhineland, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler annexed Austria, things would have been different.
    Had anybody stepped up when Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, things would have been different.
    Had Churchill been in power instead of Chamberlain, things would have been different.

(I'm sure I have forgotten a few)
    You got enough of them down, it is a poignant way to summarize the whole thing.
    rice paddy daddy and Inor like this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links