Dorian - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Dorian

This is a discussion on Dorian within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy 5:00 PM update today shows it coming ashore south of Cape Canaveral as a Cat 4, then turning and ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    5:00 PM update today shows it coming ashore south of Cape Canaveral as a Cat 4, then turning and going up the coast and still being a Cat 2 when it gets to Jacksonville Wednesday afternoon.
    Even if I could fly out before it got here, I don't believe I could leave the wife here alone with the animals with a Cat 2. Cat 1, yes, no problem, but a 2 is different.

I realized I couldn't rent a car to drive to Atlanta and pick up the connecting flight because I do not have a credit card. Haven't had one of those in over 30 years.

So, assuming the airport is back in business on Thursday, I would only lose one day.
    And, if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. So far I'm only out $330 for the plane ticket, and $230 for the reunion fees (2 side trips, 2 banquets, plus registration fee).

There's always next year. San Antonio and I can drive there.
    Yeah, cat 2 can be dangerous, and as slow as it's moving it will dump a ton of rain to boot. Batten down the hatches and watch the homestead. There is always next year. I know you would never forgive yourself if something where to happen and you weren't there.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    RPD,

Son2 (Lineman for Southern Company/GA Power) just got his orders to be on standby and pack for 1 week of travel to somewhere in coastal GA or FL. His crew usually works the Savannah/Brunswick/Statesboro area so if things get too hairy down your way, let me know and maybe Son2 can call in a favor for your area. Are you serviced by Florida Power & Light?
    OREMC. Okefenokee Rural Electric Membership Co-Op
    Headquarters in Nahunta, Georgia.
    These guys get the power back on in record time, every time.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Yeah, cat 2 can be dangerous, and as slow as it's moving it will dump a ton of rain to boot. Batten down the hatches and watch the homestead. There is always next year. I know you would never forgive yourself if something where to happen and you weren't there.
    Two years ago, Irma was on the way. It was scheduled to miss Florida going to the east, out in open water.
    So, with wife’s urging, I made the two day drive to the reunion in Kansas City.
    By the time I got there, Irma had changed course, and I wanted to come home but wife insisted I stay. (She knows what it means to me to be with the guys I shared hardship and danger with)
    By the time Irma got to the homestead it was a high Cat 1, wife and animals made it through OK.
    I didn’t marry a Bambi.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 08-31-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    RPD,

Son2 (Lineman for Southern Company/GA Power) just got his orders to be on standby and pack for 1 week of travel to somewhere in coastal GA or FL. His crew usually works the Savannah/Brunswick/Statesboro area so if things get too hairy down your way, let me know and maybe Son2 can call in a favor for your area. Are you serviced by Florida Power & Light?
    Standby. This is an aspect of hurricanes that those who never experience them don't get. There's so much information out there but there's still so much that's basically rolling the dice on the part of decision makers. Anyone remember Ike in 2008? We lived in Cincinnati at the time and our power company had recently been taken over by Duke Power (one more reason to get the hell out of Cincy). As Ike approach, and people panicked b/c Katrina was just three years before, Duke Power sent just about every truck and man south toward the gulf. And then hurricane force winds hit places like Cincy and KABOOM. No one around to get the power up. Some people went 3-4 weeks without power. Most were unprepared for this sort of thing.

Granted, it was probably hard to see that coming, but like I said, they rolled the dice on Ike and got snake eyes.

Good luck RPD!

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Standby. This is an aspect of hurricanes that those who never experience them don't get.
    I live near Madison, and we are on the tail-end of "tornado alley." The nice thing about our home was that it was constructed by a home builder who intended to make make this place his personal residence. We have a solid concrete 'storm shelter' in our lower level. We have never really needed it (as of yet) but it a great comfort if the radio stations announce an upcoming twister.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    San Antonio will be the Society of the Fifth Division's 100th annual reunion - a big deal.
    We are the oldest continuously active unit organization in the country.

I'll be glad to stop and buy you a cup of coffee.

Nope.. coffee is on me... er.. I’ll buy.

And please do stop by!
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I only heard one report on the radio this morning, and then 1310AM switched over to the Brewers Game. Has anyone heard any recent news?

As of 5pm eastern

Dorian-205408_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Dorian-205408.png

For comparison, here was the probability of hurricane force winds forecast on 8/29 (morning)

Dorian-hwind.png

It has changed considerably.

It's now 5:30PM in my area. I still have not heard one, single thing on the radio about the plight of Florida.

NWS in Miami is reporting that Dorian has wind gusts of >220mph. That's some TEOTWAWKI sh*t right there.
    rice paddy daddy and Annie like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links