Let's Talk About PTSD Fraud - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Let's Talk About PTSD Fraud

This is a discussion on Let's Talk About PTSD Fraud within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Here is the problem with PTSD. First it has been used as a cash cow for some. At one time PTSD was ignored and a ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Let's Talk About PTSD Fraud

Here is the problem with PTSD. First it has been used as a cash cow for some. At one time PTSD was ignored and a lot of seriously ill military people suffered even died. bring in the over reaction . PTSD became pretty much automatic at least for 6 months to a year.
    People get use the the money coming in fast.
    Bring me 10 soldiers with Claims of PTSD. With some interview time pretty much with certainty I can tell you who is seriously effected by it. What I most likely will not be able to do is pick the fakes. As a front line leader you do not make the call. If a soldier is referred to you , the soldier comes to you or you think a soldier is effected by PTSD there is one option. Report it up the chain and arrange medical evaluation right away. In many cases holding that soldier until they can be seen by medical personal is required.
    When you have history with that soldier you are at least early on in a better place to get a feel for what is going on. That does not mean you pass judgement on validity of the medical condition.
    The Army and VA clearly adopted a policy of better to have a few collecting undeserved payments than to turn away a person in true need of help. A 100% turn around from the past. Most Soldiers that I had first hand knowledge of receiving help for PTSD addressed early on. Were off DA payments in under a year. Some are still fighting a battle to live a normal life. Others learned to face the demon and move on.
    As far as it applies to gun rights. You must never forget this statement and who made it. No one on the left disagreed with her and the head of the DHS said veterans were the greatest threat to America .

Dianne Feinstein:
    "All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."
    Last edited by Smitty901; 08-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    First, I know Jem, personally. I'm not going into his background as I don't remember him doing it, but he is the real deal.

I've seen Air Force reservists come back from a three-month deployment to Afghanistan and claim PTSD. They never left the airfield that was far removed from fighting. They were just looking for the money.
    Over half of the people with whom I work are vets. Several are drawing the "crazy check," as it is called. A handful is "PTSD," while the rest learned from them how to scam the system. Many of the scammers were warned by me that they'll be on a list that will cause them to lose their weapons. To a man, I was told that the certainty of the check was worth the possibility of losing their weapons.
    Jem and I live in a veteran-heavy population. We have a large pool from which to determine our thoughts.
    I'll take your word for his history. Out of curiosity, as you have such a large "pool" in your locale, do you know more than 3 ex-military persons who have PTSD? What percentage of your "pool" have been in actual combat?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    I'll take your word for his history. Out of curiosity, as you have such a large "pool" in your locale, do you know more than 3 ex-military persons who have PTSD? What percentage of your "pool" have been in actual combat?
    Have PTSD or is drawing the check?

When you say in actual combat, do you mean outside the wire, so to speak?
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    One of my old pals was a Viet Nam Vet and PTSD sufferer. He was drawing some kinda check but wanted a bigger one...which he said came from convincing them he was fully crazy. Well they gave him the big check and thats when he lost his guns. Then the idiot claimed it was my fault. He was crazy. He didnt get that way in battle...some of his fellow jyrenes did not like his attitude and nearly stomped him to death in the barracks.
    A former friend who was a Vietnam vet made it a point to act aggressive and unstable at work. Every time he had an outburst, he'd wink at me. He got his full disability.
    He is a former friend because he got busted for child molestation. I have a problem with Chesters.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

The sad thing about the world is that most people seem to have lost the shame.
    I do not live in the USA, but here everyone has depression (specially government workers and teachers) and all of them get some time off work under the pretense of being depressed. The thing is, most of them have nothing and just want some paid "vacations", while others who really are sick and in dire need of help get nothing.
    So while someone is scamming to get some benefit by declaring mental problems, someone else is trully suffering .
    Denton and inceptor like this.

I know several who are scamming, a couple that are legit, and one who claims he is scamming that I suspect is the most legit case I know personally. If there is money involved people will lie to get it. (I do not receive any service related disability payments)
    Denton likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Many of the scammers were warned by me that they'll be on a list that will cause them to lose their weapons. To a man, I was told that the certainty of the check was worth the possibility of losing their weapons.
    that is sad....
    Denton and inceptor like this.
    Be a Berean

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    that is sad....
    I know. I have had to disassociate myself with them.
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Jem

Seeing as the thread has run its course for a few hours, let me weigh in on a couple points -

- My personal experience is my own. I will never have the same circumstance or experience as the person to my left, or the person on my right. I can only offer my opinion (and honestly, the original post is really just an opinion) as I see and understand what I believe to be facts.

- Some replies have leaned towards the “better to pay out too much, than not help soldiers in need.” While this is a laudable attitude, and one I support in principal, it just isn’t fiscally sustainable. To complete the loop on this sentiment, one would have to say “better to pay 100% of veterans 100% of all possible benefits....”. There has to be a practical limit to the tax payers responsibility.

- In answer to the reply that doubted my credibility and authenticity, what can I say... Arguing with and debating with “Internet people” is pointless. I just laid out my own observations, ruminations and opinions on a topic, and then waited to see what others had to say on the topic. Their sceptisism is a perfectly legitimate response, and they’ve been part of PF a lot longer than I have.

- I will, however, provide some additional requested info on the available pool of ex-military people who I interact with on a regular basis. I’ll limit my pool to those I work with, am neighbors with, go to church with, or see at least once a week (barber shop, gun range, etc...)... that would equal 17 retirees (including myself) and ~20 (+/- 3) non-retiree veterans. Of the retirees, only two (myself included) aren’t drawing some kind of disability check. I only personally know one person with an overt physical military disability (he’s missing a leg).

- I think it might be advantageous to spell out something I may have taken for common knowledge. Not everyone here has a military background. There are retirees, there are non-retiree veterans, and there are retired veterans. Each category is entitled to diffent benefits and entitlements. In my case, I am a retiree and a combat veteran. I get a retirement check for my years of work, not any injuries or disabilities. A combat veteran, if suitable injured, is entitled to a medical retirement or diasabilites payout regardless of length of service. Medical services for these individuals are often limited to VA facilities. As a retiree, I have Tricare insurance, and can get medical treatment where I chose (mostly). When a soldier approaches retirement, it is common to start working on their “settlement”. This endeavor is often aided by mercenary lawyers who are expert in getting maximum results. After 20 years of service, a soldier is eligible for 50% of their base pay as their retirement. A mediocre lawyer can often get 75-95% in medical disabilities. Which way do you suppose humans go?
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Have PTSD or is drawing the check?

When you say in actual combat, do you mean outside the wire, so to speak?
    Has PTSD.
    Yes, outside the wire, so to speak. People shooting at them. Them shooting at people. Taking artillery fire, etc.
    Denton likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links