Equifax Breach & Possible Pay Out
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Equifax Breach & Possible Pay Out within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I learned about this a couple of days ago and thought that I would pass it on. If you recall Equifax was hacked in 2017 ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By RedLion
  • 2 Post By Marica
  • 2 Post By RedLion
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By 1skrewsloose

Thread: Equifax Breach & Possible Pay Out

I learned about this a couple of days ago and thought that I would pass it on.

If you recall Equifax was hacked in 2017 and people's information including 147 million SSN's was compromised. I used the "Check Your Eligibility Tool" and was told that I was one of the 147 million.
    If you can tie an identity theft and misuse of your information to loses, you can claim reimbursement of up to $20,000.

I have had my CC and Debit card number compromised 3 times each the past couple of years, but all the fraud was caught right away with no real loss to me. My information was compromised about 4 years ago when VA employee information was hacked and I have free monitoring due to this.

If you are identified by the tool as being compromised, you can at least pick one of two options.

1. 10 years of free credit and identify theft monitoring

or

2. $125 payment.

I did not have a problem providing the minimal personal information requested for the "Check Your Eligibility" tool.

Below is the Forbes link explaining and the "Check Your Eligibility" tool link.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateofl.../#4d525ec0cbfd

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachset...en/eligibility
    Sasquatch likes this.

Daughter sent this to me yesterday. Maybe I should take a look. Thanks for the reminder.

Every now & again one-- always the same one-- of my cards gets used to buy one-way plane tickets to Vegas or some such. Pretty easy to spot if you review your PAPER bills each month. I really do not understand how folks go completely paperless. So much potential for abuse b/c not many (younger?) people have the discipline to check on-line statements once a month.
    RedLion and Smitty901 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Daughter sent this to me yesterday. Maybe I should take a look. Thanks for the reminder.

Every now & again one-- always the same one-- of my cards gets used to buy one-way plane tickets to Vegas or some such. Pretty easy to spot if you review your PAPER bills each month. I really do not understand how folks go completely paperless. So much potential for abuse b/c not many (younger?) people have the discipline to check on-line statements once a month.
    I have email alerts for my debit card and CC if anything is purchased over $25. From my experience the alert gets emailed out to me within 20 minutes of purchase.
    Prepared One and wallyLOZ like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

So Equifax rolls in the cash offering worthless credit protection. And then the turn around and try to sell better protect for a fee to all that are offered the worthless free protection . What a racket.
    SGG likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Update...no more $125...
    If you could forget the $125 from Equifax and just take the free credit monitoring, that would be great – FTC

Not enough settlement cash to go around, sighs watchdog
    They screwed half the country....I got that feeling that we need some neck stretching.

America's trade watchdog has officially told millions in the US not to apply for the $125 it promised each of them as part of the deal it struck with Equifax – and instead take up an offer of free credit monitoring.

In a memo on Wednesday, FTC assistant director Robert Schoshinski said the regulator has been overwhelmed by people filing claims against Equifax after the biz was cyber-looted by hackers in 2017.

He then warned that, because the settlement with the mega-hacked outfit had been capped, it is very unlikely people will end up receiving that promised $125 each. In fact, the deal may be worth no more than 21 cents.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...nt-/5-2242582/

Many, many, many years ago a C.C company illegally charged improper interest. big class action suit. I got like $2. They have sooo many accounts and make so much money, its a drop in the bucket. At the time I thought my ship had come in.
    Smitty901 and Slippy like this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

I signed up for the credit monitoring.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

My goal is to have a ZERO Credit Rating...

Sponsored Links