Water Transfer ...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Water Transfer ...

This is a discussion on Water Transfer ... within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello All: Iím new to the forum and would like to ask a question. I have a few water barrels inside my house (crawlspace). I ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By spritey1964
  • 1 Post By dwight55
  • 1 Post By RedLion

Thread: Water Transfer ...

Water Transfer ...

Hello All:

Iím new to the forum and would like to ask a question. I have a few water barrels inside my house (crawlspace). I change water every 6 months and end up having up some spillage - never good inside.

Iíd appreciate some advice on pumps (manual & electric) and how you complete this task.

Thanks

George

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RedLion likes this.

Well for one, . . . if they are open top barrels, . . . drop a small sump pump down in em, . . . it'll take all but the bottom 1/2 inch, . . .

We use one for our baptistry at our church which does not have a drain. Our little pump I bought at Lowes, . . . it uses a garden hose for a discharge hose, . . . makes it very easy to use. It wants to shut off when there is about 3 inches of water left, . . . but I lift up the float switch, . . . make it run until it starts sucking air, . . . then shut it off.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Denton likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Go to a marina or boat supply store. Purchase a small squeeze type priming bulb for an outboard motor fuel line. Then purchase sufficient hose so that you can siphon the water from the drum to a floor drain. This method is slow because the hose will be small diameter And this method won’t get the last inch or 2 out of the drum. But it is relatively cheap, EZ, and idiot proof. No batteries or electricity required.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If your water is stored correctly you certainly do not need to dump and refill every 6 months. I have two 50 gallon water barrels in the basement of my home, in a dark and cool place that I have had the same water in for about 6 years. I know that the water is still good enough to drink.
    Elvis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Well for one, . . . if they are open top barrels, . . . drop a small sump pump down in em, . . . it'll take all but the bottom 1/2 inch, . . .

We use one for our baptistry at our church which does not have a drain. Our little pump I bought at Lowes, . . . it uses a garden hose for a discharge hose, . . . makes it very easy to use. It wants to shut off when there is about 3 inches of water left, . . . but I lift up the float switch, . . . make it run until it starts sucking air, . . . then shut it off.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Thanks Dwight55

That sound as if if what Iím looking for. Could you please give me an example (Yes, opening is on top). Iíve not seen anything that small.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Go to a marina or boat supply store. Purchase a small squeeze type priming bulb for an outboard motor fuel line. Then purchase sufficient hose so that you can siphon the water from the drum to a floor drain. This method is slow because the hose will be small diameter And this method wonít get the last inch or 2 out of the drum. But it is relatively cheap, EZ, and idiot proof. No batteries or electricity required.
    Sounds great & Thanks.

" All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I store 260 gallons of water in my garage. With the lack of water here in southern AZ, I store my water for 3 years before
    I swap it out for fresh water. Every 6 months I add chlorine bleach in 1/2 the recommended amount. The opening for fill
    my tank is 4 inch diameter, so I made a small mixing "propeller" that fits thru the opening. It is attached to a 4 foot long
    shaft, so I can adequately mix the bleach and water. At the end of the 3 years, I pump the bleached water into open tubs
    outside and let the chlorine off gas for a week and use the water on plants. I use a small 12 volt DC pump that has garden
    how fittings to move the water as necessary. The first time I swapped the water, it still smelled of bleach. However, I
    would still purify the water before drinking.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by spritey1964 View Post
    Thanks Dwight55

That sound as if if what I’m looking for. Could you please give me an example (Yes, opening is on top). I’ve not seen anything that small.

This is not the EXACT one we are using, . . . but is very similar.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-15577...289814&ipos=13

It is small, light weight, uses a garden hose, . . . which is very convenient for me and for our purposes.

It should work well for your application, I would think. Just open the top of the drum, . . . drop it in, . . . it goes to the bottom, . . . and out goes the water.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks all. This gives me some direction

Sponsored Links