Another vehicle time
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Another vehicle time

This is a discussion on Another vehicle time within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Another vehicle time. Made up my mind I wanted a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle. I dislike pick up trucks. Had them on ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Another vehicle time

Another vehicle time

Another vehicle time. Made up my mind I wanted a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle. I dislike pick up trucks. Had them on the farm when it was almost necessary . But for me that would be the only time. And then it would be a bare bones truck.
    Made my list. What did not madder was economy MPG meant nothing. It had to be 4 wheel drive or the modern all wheel drive. It had to handle a reasonable trailer and be able to pull it. Had to seat 5 with comfort . The back seat needed to have leg room. While not set in concrete it should be a Ford. New or low mile used was fine.
    Looked at 3 The Escape, Edge and Explorer. Each had good points. The Escape was on the small side and a bit light on power. Any used I came across were high miles and new with AWD were priced at a premium for the smaller vehicle.
    The Edge fell in the middle of the 3. New was a bit steep but they were well equipped, surprising most had the 2.0 in them. The Explore was nice and Big AWD and 4 wheel drive priced the same and all of them were priced high. The Explores I looked at all had trailer hitches installed. Most all had option packages I could live with. In the end the Edge won out. I had a list of 7 2017 to 2019 all well equipped and reasonable miles on them. I had the 2017 at the end of the list and was sure it was going to be crossed off. It had the SLE package. As I went down the list I noticed it had options not on the higher end ones. More research showed that dealer had added more to it than the SLE package it has the 3.5 engine. Soon it was on top of the list . The year meant nothing to me. 5 minutes with a salesman I have sat across the table from before. We had a price and terms. This will be the first time in 30plus years I did not purchase a reasonable vehicle.
    Slippy, bigwheel, inceptor and 1 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I've always driven trucks when I was paying the freight. My last one was a 1997 F-150 which now has +/-90K miles on it and it runs like a trooper. I have had to buy a set of new tires, one suspect alternator, and I had one battery go bad. Nothing on the engine has been touched except for periodic replacements of air cleaners.

Oh, I ordered mine with a five-speed manual transmission. It's the best "anti-theft" option I could think of to guard against criminal millennials. Those guys can't find a job much less figure out a clutch...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Three words for you ….. Jeep Grand Cherokee

It's slightly larger than the base Cherokee model.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Toyota 4 Runner, never look back!
    Slippy, modfan and Steve40th like this.

Congrats on the new vehicle Smitty!

I was hoping you'd bought the new Ford Ranger and sported it up a bit...

Another vehicle time-2019-ford-ranger-airdesign-sema-696x434.jpg
    Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Congrats on the new vehicle Smitty!

I was hoping you'd bought the new Ford Ranger and sported it up a bit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-ford-Ranger-AirDesign-sema-696x434.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	98935
    I like my pick-em-up trucks.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tango2X View Post
    Toyota 4 Runner, never look back!
    Nice but to small and to light

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

I doubt you will be happy with the Edge. My friend's wife had one and it was just lots of meh and plastic. Cheeseburgers and tears, my friend!!

Super Moderator

Do NOT go with the Escape. I did and wish I hadn't.

The hatch is actuator-driven and it goes bad. Mine was replaced within the first three-thousand miles. The replacement is already going bad.

You know the back-up camera? Really nice, until the screen goes blank while you are using it. Speaking of the display, it'll stay dark upon crank-up every once in a while.

Oh, and I've never made the highway MPG and I've tried. That might mean much to you but I don't like false advertising.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Do NOT go with the Escape. I did and wish I hadn't.

The hatch is actuator-driven and it goes bad. Mine was replaced within the first three-thousand miles. The replacement is already going bad.

You know the back-up camera? Really nice, until the screen goes blank while you are using it. Speaking of the display, it'll stay dark upon crank-up every once in a while.

Oh, and I've never made the highway MPG and I've tried. That might mean much to you but I don't like false advertising.
    The Escape was to small. My neighbor has one for her Dog kennel business and has served her well but It would not have met my wants. Her husband has the Edge and it has served him well. I have already wrote the check so deal is done.
    We are keeping the Ford C-Max so if it is just trips to town and running around we still get 35-41 miles to MPG.
    The Edge has the room inside I wanted. The ground clearance for snow it has the larger tire option on it. went back and forth on the old style 4 wheel drive or AWD. AWD won out it is better for road driving and not planning on hard core off road stuff with it.
    I liked the Explore but it was just a bit larger than what I was looking for.
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links