On my 69th birthday I got this...

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on On my 69th birthday I got this... within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; ...picture from a 23 year old girl named Kayla who's studying to be a photographer after she finishes making coffee at Starbucks. She's also a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: On my 69th birthday I got this...

...picture from a 23 year old girl named Kayla who's studying to be a photographer after she finishes making coffee at Starbucks. She's also a blade-head, and the only young blonde my wife tolerates when she's not there to monitor me.

Oh, and to digress, you've also heard me chat about Joyce, she's the owner of Horizon Bladeworks. My wife also finds it odd that the girls and I can talk for over an hour on the telephone--and just about knives only.

Anyway, my 69th birthday came along on the 29th--oddly the same day as Kayla's birthday. We decided to include her because girls that young cannot afford to buy real food. Kayla had gotten a small picture of myself as what you civilians might know as the slang word of "prospect." Now, the CC Riders found that degrading, but when you have snow-white rags the cool kids always think you're an idiot. I was 21 in that picture.

A second picture taken that day is my avatar, BTW

You should see this picture Kayla built in real life! Yikes, the frame--which Kayla also made--is huge, and I look like a Hollywood biker.

Oh, and as Hawgrider can tell you, that Super Glide bike was a newer offering for Harley. Yes, it looks new, but at that time of my life, I used to lay on the concrete and polish the bottom of my bikes, too.

Click picture to enlarge.

On my 69th birthday I got this...-dsc02687.jpg
    Smitty901, Denton, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Thats a dandy looking Hawg!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

(I might need the help of our forum photographers to explain this next post).

You might find the picture that this young photographer used was an odd choice since there were numerous other pictures including my face. Despite that, I was shocked by the impact of her vision. And I learned the reason.

I've been informed that many times a photographer doesn't capture the moment of a disaster by shooting a wide screen shot. Rather, a veteran photographer looks for one face which conveys the moment. That person becomes what is known as an "every man." Kind of spokesman for the action.

That picture is no longer of "me." In that one picture there are vintage cars, a bike of the era, what our clothes looked like, our hairstyles, even a license plate of 1971. That boy on the bike represents the age of motorcycle club bikers.

Here's an analogy. By now most of you have seen that award winning picture of a naked Vietnamese girl running down a road, crying because she has just been burned by napalm. It made the cover of Life Magazine, and I couldn't forget that girl even if I tried.

In like manner, the girl (now a woman) often gives lectures and explains the "inside" of the war and its children. She has become that same "every one."

I think Kayla has a real future before her. If she can see into a world that was there long before she was born and still tell a story, imagine what she can do with totally free hand...
    Last edited by The Tourist; 06-14-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Hemi45 and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Thats a dandy looking Hawg!
    Yeah, I was real proud of it. You should have seen the Nevr-Dull, the expensive wax and the chrome polish I lathered that pretty bike with over the early 1970s.

BTW, Hawgrider, we discuss that world as I knew it. I'd like to hear how you lived your life out there, on the highway. Were you in an MC?

BTW future museum curators, this is what a real MC rider wore! Every seam has been repaired from abuse--and remember there was a real body in them at the time! These rags are really rags, they're in my closet slowly degrading to dust. They are one of my most valuable possessions. It's not just a blue jean vest, but it's also a reminder of the +30 odd other original CC Riders who have passed away.

My colors are known by the club as "originals." The first fifty sets were handmade by a local seamstress. These rags prove I was one of the original CC Riders. For example, when I went to Tiny's funeral, I wore my rags. An older present member named "Ick" confronted me and told me that some of the "kids" wanted to talk to me. I asked why. He told me, "Well, these younger members have never seen original colors..."

And now you will see them, too. They are the exact same colors as in the first picture--just five years later. Every rip, every slash, every splatter of oil and mud.

Click on picture to enlarge.

On my 69th birthday I got this...-dsc02530.jpg
    Last edited by The Tourist; 06-14-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    hawgrider and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Yeah, I was real proud of it. You should have seen the Nevr-Dull, the expensive wax and the chrome polish I lathered that pretty bike with over the early 1970s.

BTW, Hawgrider, we discuss that world as I knew it. I'd like to hear how you lived your life out there, on the highway. Were you in an MC?
    Nope no MC.

Independent rider. Rules and me never got along.

Rode Triumph's in the early days

My last scoot was a 97 FLSTC I put about 92K touring on it before my spine blew out. Not sure if I'll ever ride again time will tell.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 06-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Rules and me never got along.
    Wait a consarn minute! You mean to tell me that MCs have rules?

I don't think we had any, at least the older guys never told me.

Oh, we had one thing that you could pass off as a "code of behavior." We used to drink at a place called "The Anchor Inn." They were trying to hold that place together and we were asked not to use the barstools as "blunt objects" because they weren't fully paid off yet. We grumbled, but only used the cheaper chairs.

Is that the kind of rules you guys had?

Yikes, the very thing makes me feel like your average garden thug.

Rules in an MC. Yikes, that's new one on me...
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Wait a consarn minute! You mean to tell me that MCs have rules?

I don't think we had any, at least the older guys never told me.

Oh, we had one thing that you could pass off as a "code of behavior." We used to drink at a place called "The Anchor Inn." They were trying to hold that place together and we were asked not to use the barstools as "blunt objects" because they weren't fully paid off yet. We grumbled, but only used the cheaper chairs.

Is that the kind of rules you guys had?

Yikes, the very thing makes me feel like your average garden thug.

Rules in an MC. Yikes, that's new one on me...
    Clubs in Meatchicken are pretty structured these days. Required meetings, required rides, prospect duties for at least a year before patched in.

Biggest issue I had was being the club bitch for a year. I wasn't cut out for that. And dues these days are not cheap. We have some very nice expensive club houses out here.

Clubs in Meatchicken are pretty structured these days. Required meetings, required rides, prospect duties for at least a year before patched in.

Biggest issue I had was being the club bitch for a year. I wasn't cut out for that. And dues these days are not cheap. We have some very nice expensive club houses out here.
    Yikes, I just got some very itchy hives! I blanche at your continual use of the word "required."

I see no mention of "required redheads" or "required switchblade" or "required underwear." Oh yeah, we had that 'required underwear' thing for about six months. The guys were forgetting where they left them, they were using them for bike cleaning rags, and lots of these guys had "no infantile male birth surgery" if you catch my drift, and a few of them got 'saddle burns.'

Oy, vey, I should have just left town and become an Angel. I am a bit miffed that my brothers didn't warn me about this "required" thingie. That a real deal, huh?

Tourist , because I grew up with family that were 1%er's. I made a choice never to join any club. I know not all patched clubs are the same. It was your time and place in history . Enjoy the memories. The pictures brings back a few. Those family member's played a part in my attraction to riding. For that I thank them. For other things curse them.. 50 years on the street riding. And few have added up the miles I have in that time.
    We must have coffee some day. Right now I just finished help an 11 year old bake a cake for her daddy that may get home to night .
    Slippy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links