Beans - How do you eat them
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Beans - How do you eat them within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; beans make up a big part of my families preps I like baked beans with home made rolls.. the rolls are great for sopping up ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Beans - How do you eat them

beans make up a big part of my families preps

I like baked beans with home made rolls.. the rolls are great for sopping up the juice

also

baked beans on butter toast with ketchup salt and pepper

red beans and rice

in chilli

kidney beans on a cold day with warm bread

I have never cared for bean burritos though
    Be a Berean

(*sigh*) I'm sorry to report that I have reached that age when any decently prepared side order of beans produces and an embarrassing and 'gasly' eruption of aromatic but not a fragrant on-rush of displeasure.

On the lighter side, I just introduced sardines to my dog. Somehow he understands the pleasure of this nasal onslaught...
    MisterMills357 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Rice, black beans, and chicken. Let the spices fly. We prepare this with differing flavors. Always one of our favorite meals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    (*sigh*) I'm sorry to report that I have reached that age when any decently prepared side order of beans produces and an embarrassing and 'gasly' eruption of aromatic but not a fragrant on-rush of displeasure.

On the lighter side, I just introduced sardines to my dog. Somehow he understands the pleasure of this nasal onslaught...
    if you leave the beans soaking in water overnight (the day before cooking them) with a little vinegar, it will greatly help with the "gas" problem. Beans will also cook faster is you previoulsy soak them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavanna View Post
    if you leave the beans soaking in water overnight (the day before cooking them) with a little vinegar, it will greatly help with the "gas" problem. Beans will also cook faster is you previoulsy soak them.
    I'm sure you're right. But who's going to take a chance on me and my reputation?

But I am going to have my wife read your post, we don't prepare beans that way, and I think we should start! Thanks!
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Beans is a national dish in Brazil, usually we cook them in the pressure cooker. Leaving them soaking in water overnight helps to cook them faster and save cooking fuel. Using a little vinegar on the soaking water helps to prevent gas. This is everyday beans. On weekends or friends gatherings people often make "feijoada" wich is cooked beans with sausage, pork, sliced kale, orange... The list goes ever on.
    gyro_cfi and Maine-Marine like this.

I'll take my beans split along with a ham hock >>>> nothing better for a meal beginner than split pea soup ...
    Maine-Marine and Annie like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Slippy's Famous Red Beans, Andouille Sausage and Rice

Soak Red Beans over night in water, salt, pepper, and any brand of red hot sauce.

Toss some Smoked Andouille Sausage into a Stainless Steel Stock Pot and brown it up real nice. Remove Sausage and add a small amount of Rice Flour to the drippings to make a light Roux.

Add a few ounces of Vidalia Sweet Onions, Green Peppers and Celery (not a lot of veggies, just enough for taste) to the Roux and season with Tony Chachere's Seasoning and cook the Trinity for a few minutes until soft. Add back the Sausage and the Red Beans and simmer for a while. Drink a few adult beverages while the savory concoction gets nice and tasty.

Bake you up some cornbread in your best Cast Iron skillet and enjoy the Red Beans over Rice!
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-13-2019 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Forgot the rice! HA!
    gyro_cfi, A Watchman, KUSA and 4 others like this.

Baked beans on mashed potatoes instead of gravy.
    Maine-Marine and bigwheel like this.

Bacon and pinto beans, . . . add a handful of cubed up tomatoes, . . . 4 or 5 green onions chopped up, . . . one large wedge of cornbread, . . . stir it up in a bowl and eat it.

Finish up with another bowl full of cornbread and buttermilk.

Apple pie for dessert, . . .

I heard that was the usual fare inside the pearly gates, . . . but that may have just been a rumor.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    gyro_cfi, Maine-Marine and Annie like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links