Beans - How do you eat them - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Beans - How do you eat them

This is a discussion on Beans - How do you eat them within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by bigwheel Sounds great. We eat pintos three times a day and twice on Sundays around here..but as a Cajun at heart love ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Beans - How do you eat them

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Sounds great. We eat pintos three times a day and twice on Sundays around here..but as a Cajun at heart love the Red beans and rice too. We only soak pintos for an hour...but That over night soak is higly imortant for kidney beans. They have a pesky tough hull. Found a bottle full flavor beer adds some Zing when added to the cooking liquid. Also a light touch of Marjoram. What brand of Andouilla we need? Havent found anything overly impressive at Kroger. I used to make a lot of the stuff in the sausage making hobby and sold it at the beer joints. Its a hard way to make a buck..lol. Way more labor inteensve than the moon shine hobby. Heres one of my earlier variants.
    https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/bigwh...douille/151906
    Savoie makes a good Andouille and you can order online and they'll ship it. But sometimes Mrs S will pick up some off brand that she finds at the Publix that she likes to shop at. They employ some nice Down Syndrome kids who carry the bags of groceries out to the truck. When I'm with her I always try to tip them a dollar or 3 and they always refuse...Store Policy NO TIPPING. But I try an trip the kids up all the time. Mrs S says that is not very nice but it makes me chuckle and the kids are polite.

https://www.savoiesfoods.com/
    https://shop.savoiesfoods.com//

By the way bigwheel

Excellent recipe for Andouille! I've never made it but will try it oneday. Thank you Sir!
    https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/bigwh...douille/151906
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-13-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks for the tip on Savoie. I got a hot tip from a real cajun who said use their jarred roux. So I went to great lengths to get a jar smuggled in from the cajun food grocery store in an adjoing town. Dont think I ever got around to using it lol. I make a killer rouxless gumbo..lol. Well it has Tonys Instant Roux and brown gravy mix in it. Now thats good stuff. lol.

The Good Cop

B&M Boston Baked Beans, in the glass jar, poured over B&M Brown Bread.
    Bush's Beans (any flavor), room temperature, straight outta the can.
    Black beans and rice.
    Red beans and rice.
    Kidney beans with just butter and salt.

And don't forget lima beans, butter beans, field peas, black eyed peas.
    Annie and bigwheel like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I can't help it. I have that old poem running through my head. The one from grade school that starts out, "beans, beans, they're good for your heart." And I'll stop right there because its not very polite, because the next line rhymes with heart. Yeah.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Beans hate me!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

I love beans! Especially cooked in a cajun style dish. But man, they just kill my digestive system. So I need to eat them in extreme moderation. Red beans and rice will mess me up for days.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    B&M Boston Baked Beans, in the glass jar, poured over B&M Brown Bread.
    Bush's Beans (any flavor), room temperature, straight outta the can.
    Black beans and rice.
    Red beans and rice.
    Kidney beans with just butter and salt.

And don't forget lima beans, butter beans, field peas, black eyed peas.
    I live just a few miles from the B&M Baked Bean factory....oh man does it smell good when they're baking them beans
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

We may have a market here at The Prepper Forums for some Flatulence Deodorizer Products!

https://www.flat-d.com/flatdpremium.html

Heh. "Beans" is a top level folder in DH's Big Food Manual and Survivalist Flourishing Guide.

Beans - How do you eat them-screen-shot-2019-06-14-9.39.08-am.jpg

Here are the "Beans Hints"

“The ancients used “beans” medicinally. Bruised and boiled with garlic, they were taken to cure coughs.” —Master Chef Louis P. De Gouy, The Gold Cook Book (1947)

BEANS HINTS

“One of the most satisfactory food extenders is soybean meal. Frankfurters as purchased today are largely reinforced by soy meal. It is very digestible.
    Sprouted soybeans should be kept refrigerated like fresh meat. For long storage, they may be blanched in boiling water for from 2 to 3 minutes, then either frozen or dried. Remember that vitamin C is developed as the bean sprouts.
    Dried soybeans (even after soaking overnight), require long, slow cooking to make them tender, unless they can be cooked in a pressure cooker. Under 5 pounds pressure they will cook in about 20 minutes. Otherwise, given them from 4 to 6 hours cooking.
    A touch of curry powder added to canned baked beans is a good idea; use a level teaspoon to 2 cups of beans.
    Maple syrup may be substituted for molasses to sweeten baked beans.
    A few onion rings and some thin strips of salt pork placed on top of beans as they are baking add goodness and flavor; and how about baked beans with a layer of melted cheese in the middle? Or corn meal waffles with crisp bacon in the batter to serve with baked beans?
    Hot baked beans served in ramekins, with hot rolls, relishes, and a fruit dessert, make a satisfying lunch or supper any day in the year.
    Soak kidney beans in hot water and you shorten the cooking time. If you have soft rain water so much the better because hard water tends to toughen the beans so that they never seem done.
    To improve the flavor of home-baked beans, stir in very gently when half-cooked, some finely chopped green pepper and grated onion … and remember, one pound of dry beans has twice as many calories and nearly twice as much protein as one pound of beefsteak.
    If tired of baked beans as such, mash them; season with onion, catsup and an herb or two, make into croquettes, dip in egg and crumbs and fry in deep fat. Also, try serving baked beans in green peppers, in tomatoes, large onions, or in bread cases.
    If you have neglected to soak either navy or lima beans over night, pour boiling water over them after washing them, and let stand covered for about an hour before cooking.
    Dry beans stored in a can with a close-fitting cover or in a tightly closed bag are safe from dire, insects and mice.”

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    We may have a market here at The Prepper Forums for some Flatulence Deodorizer Products!

https://www.flat-d.com/flatdpremium.html
    I just want to know if they’re good for your heart.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links