Beans - How do you eat them - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Beans - How do you eat them

This is a discussion on Beans - How do you eat them within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; With a spoon, or a sopping piece of corn bread....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Beans - How do you eat them

With a spoon, or a sopping piece of corn bread.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    With a spoon, or a sopping piece of corn bread.

(Slippy's Red Beans and Rice are so sticky and scrumptious that you can use a fork! )
    Kauboy and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    (Slippy's Red Beans and Rice are so sticky and scrumptious that you can use a fork! )
    Recipe please?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Recipe please?
    I cook by using the "Done it a Million Times Before" method...which means I don't use specific amounts. I add or subtract ingredients by Taste and Feel if that makes sense.

Slippy's Famous Red Beans, Andouille Sausage and Rice

Soak Red Beans over night in water, salt, pepper, and any brand of red hot sauce.

Toss some Smoked Andouille Sausage into a Stainless Steel Stock Pot and brown it up real nice. Remove Sausage and add a small amount of Rice Flour to the drippings to make a light Roux.

Add a few ounces of Vidalia Sweet Onions, Green Peppers and Celery (not a lot of veggies, just enough for taste) to the Roux and season with Tony Chachere's Seasoning and cook the Trinity for a few minutes until soft. Add back the Sausage, Red Beans and simmer for a while in a few cups of water...sometimes I add a beer.

Drink a few adult beverages while the savory concoction gets nice and tasty.

Bake you up some cornbread in your best Cast Iron skillet and enjoy the Red Beans over Rice!
    Chiefster23 likes this.

You can't do better then red beans and rice with hot sausage. Don't forget the cornbread and hot sauce! Beans are big part of my food stores. They store for ever and there is so much you can do with them. I have tried @Slippy 's take on it with Andouille Sausage and it's awesome.
    Slippy and Maine-Marine like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Sounds great! I’m coming over! What time is lunch?

Most of my beans get canned, pickled, or eaten fresh. Dried beans for soups or chili.

Dilled Beans 2016

Used recepies in Back to Basics and Keeping the harvest as models.

Almost ½ bushel Blue lake bush beans (had some/few with spots of rot that were culled or carved not too many)
    White vinegar
    Canning Salt
    Pepper corns
    Mustard seed
    Dried cayenne pepper (hot old stock)
    Cloves
    Allspice
    Fresh Dill
    Fresh Garlic

Recepies calls for 5 cups water 5 cups vinegar and 1 cup salt for 7 pints (back to basics) I doubled this for 8 26 oz canning jars (cleaned and packed from bushel w/spices) and was about ¼-1/3 too much brine. Saved excess brine

Beans soaked /rinsed in water a few hours then soaked rinsed in fresh water before cutting ends. This was just enough for 8 26 oz jars.

To jars were added ½ of large dill head (stalks too) and ½ FAT clove of garlic followed by a tight pack of beans cleaned beans. Near top added ~ 20 peppercorns 1 tsp mustard seed remaining dill/garlic head/clove and 1 large dried crushed cayenne pepper . To 4 were also added 3 allspice and 1 clove, then all topped with beans.

The jars were filled to ¾” with hot pickling solution and added to warn/hot 22-L canner (full). Took ~ 10 min to steam and 5 more to clear steam. Jiggler set at 10psi and 17 min to jiggle (may need new canner gasket?) then cooked 10 min and allowed to cool ( long time/hour).

All sealed well. Will see how they taste and spiced vs non-spiced (allspice/cloves)

2nd batch but added horseradish ~ 1tsp each jar
    Slippy and bigwheel like this.

Cold, right out of the B&M Baked Beans can
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

cornbread
    I love me some cornbread
    Be a Berean

Slippy's Famous Red Beans, Andouille Sausage and Rice

Soak Red Beans over night in water, salt, pepper, and any brand of red hot sauce.

Toss some Smoked Andouille Sausage into a Stainless Steel Stock Pot and brown it up real nice. Remove Sausage and add a small amount of Rice Flour to the drippings to make a light Roux.

Add a few ounces of Vidalia Sweet Onions, Green Peppers and Celery (not a lot of veggies, just enough for taste) to the Roux and season with Tony Chachere's Seasoning and cook the Trinity for a few minutes until soft. Add back the Sausage and the Red Beans and simmer for a while. Drink a few adult beverages while the savory concoction gets nice and tasty.

Bake you up some cornbread in your best Cast Iron skillet and enjoy the Red Beans over Rice!
    Sounds great. We eat pintos three times a day and twice on Sundays around here..but as a Cajun at heart love the Red beans and rice too. We only soak pintos for an hour...but That over night soak is higly imortant for kidney beans. They have a pesky tough hull. Found a bottle full flavor beer adds some Zing when added to the cooking liquid. Also a light touch of Marjoram. What brand of Andouilla we need? Havent found anything overly impressive at Kroger. I used to make a lot of the stuff in the sausage making hobby and sold it at the beer joints. Its a hard way to make a buck..lol. Way more labor inteensve than the moon shine hobby. Heres one of my earlier variants.
    https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/bigwh...douille/151906
    Last edited by bigwheel; 06-13-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    hawgrider and Slippy like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links